X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• batonless relay
    replied
    Re: Lawrence Okoye puts athletics on hold

Whoever designed the NFL combine results must have been on the consulting committee for the IAAF results site.

Anyway, that is RIDICULOUS for a 6'6, 306lb man. 35" vertical! 4.78 40yd (4.88 the first time!)

Leave a comment:

• Blues
    replied

Atlanta Regional Combine results for Lawrence Okoye, as posted on his twitter page. (There was no bench press at the regional combine.)

https://twitter.com/LawrenceOkoye1/stat ... 92/photo/1

Okoye's Atlanta Regional Combine numbers:
    40yd 4.78
    Vertical Jump 35 inches
    R-short shuttle 4.48
    L-short shuttle 4.38
    Broad Jump 125 inches
    10yd split 1.71
    20yd split 2.64

Edit- If you want to see how his marks compare to the defensive ends who were invited to the official NFL Scouting Combine, click the link below, and then click on the position (POS) column header. Results of the athletes who were invited to the official NFL Combine this year will then be grouped by position. Then scroll down to the defensive ends group (DE).

http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombine ... =&college=

Leave a comment:

• GDAWG
    replied

The Jets have a Tight End named Hayden Smith who's first real football experience was last year when he was activated from the Jets practice squad.

Leave a comment:

• Blues
    replied

[quote=rainy.here]
    Originally posted by GDAWG
    Originally posted by "rainy.here":2as0lpfi
    They referenced good Combine scores, which I couldn't find with a couple minutes searching. Anyone find/see them?
    He did not attend the NFL Combine. The NFL holds regional combines, and he said that he attended one of those.
    I know - otherwise it would have been easy to find. [/quote:2as0lpfi]

He's supposed to be participating in the NFL Super Regional Combine this weekend (April 6-7) in Dallas. The Super Regional is by invitation only, and includes athletes who were standouts in the various Regional Combines... NFL.COM and NFL Network are both covering the Super Regional Combine, so maybe more information will be available regarding Okoye's Combine performance in Dallas.

Leave a comment:

• kamikaze7
    replied

Given his physical attributes and the fact that he excelled at rugby and track, he has a very good chance of succeeding.

Christain Okoye ended up being one of the best running backs of the mid 1980s despite having never played football until he was in his 20s

Leave a comment:

• rainy.here
    replied

Originally posted by GDAWG
    Originally posted by rainy.here
    They referenced good Combine scores, which I couldn't find with a couple minutes searching. Anyone find/see them?
    He did not attend the NFL Combine. The NFL holds regional combines, and he said that he attended one of those.
    I know - otherwise it would have been easy to find.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Not that I've ever played/coached the position, but I'm guessing somebody with monster size/strength/speed can relatively quickly be made into a situational pass rusher of quality. So long as they like pain, that is.

Leave a comment:

• batonless relay
    replied

Originally posted by marknhj
    Doesn't it help to have actually played the game before?
    Usually, but there are a few really talented guys who have been succesful playing football without much experience. I don't think Jimmy Graham, NO Saints TE, played more than one year of college before going pro and I'm not sure if he had any high school football experience. (but he was American so the nuances of the game, even if unfamiliar, weren't completely foreign). A few other tight ends have had very little experience (Gates). But since we're talking about Okoye, there is another athlete who was an Okoye trailblazer.

Christian Okoye
    Okoye was born in Enugu, Nigeria and did not play American football until 1984, when he joined the squad at California's Azusa Pacific University. He excelled in track & field, winning seven college titles in the shotput, discus, and hammer throw. The first time he attended an American football game he thought the game was boring.[1]
    After the Nigerian government failed to select Okoye for the Olympics, he sought something else to do besides track & field and went out for American football. Initially, Okoye did not enjoy the roughness of football and thought about quitting but friends convinced him to continue playing.[1] His track speed (40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds and about 10.50 seconds in the 100 meters) was unusual for someone his size (6'1" and 260 lb), and this rare combination of talents led to his selection in the second round of the 1987 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Doesn't it help to have actually played the game before? I always look at situations like this with a large grain of salt; initially at least.

Leave a comment:

• GDAWG
    replied

Originally posted by rainy.here

Leave a comment:

• rainy.here
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied

I expect Jacko Gill will be invited to NFL tryouts after 2016.

Leave a comment:

• GDAWG
    started a topic Lawrence Okoye puts athletics on hold

Lawrence Okoye puts athletics on hold

First it was Marquise Goodwin (although that was expected) now it may be Lawrence Okoye:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... lanta.html
Working...
X