Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why were some upset with regional format for NCAAs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why were some upset with regional format for NCAAs?

It seems like I was upset last year about the regional format. But I can't remember why. Why were some people upset with it? There is a way for deserving people to get into the NCAAs even if they do badly at regionals. So why all the fuss? I may have been the victim of some propaganda from some of the big school coaches, I think!

Re: Why were some upset with regional format for NCAAs?

People fear change. Here in Florida several of us would like to change the state's HS qualifying procedures to emulate the NCAA.

Comment

Thanks, tafnut. Was that your letter in a certain magazine last month BTW?

Comment

I think there is also legitimate concern that it places a heavy burden on young athletes. The collegiate season is now a week or two longer and contains another high-level meet.

That said, we won't know until a few years have gone by and college meet schedules have adapted - at the moment the regionals have simply been added, all the open/relay/dual meets are still there. Something may have to give to reduce the demands on athletes who are now effectively active from mid-Jan to mid-June, especially for those we expect to compete in the international season, which doesn't even start until June!

(Try to imagine a 20-yr old running a collegiate indoor and outdoor season, including NCAA regionals and nationals, then returning for the OT in July and the Olympics in August? Never gonna happen.)

Comment

<<(Try to imagine a 20-yr old running a collegiate indoor and outdoor season, including NCAA regionals and nationals, then returning for the OT in July and the Olympics in August? Never gonna happen.)>>

Hasn't that basically been happening for the past 50 years? Okay, so there was no regionals prior to last year, but I believe that collegians used to have a much greater impact on the world scene and so used to compete just as much, if not more, than they do now, when summer competitions were factored in.

Comment

at the risk of being hammered again by our effete Left Coast friends and those coaches who were so lousy they couldn't get any athletes into nationals under the previous system -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

we didn't need a change in qualifying, except perhaps to enlarge the fields to 32 across the spectrum

now we have just one more expensive, non-attended event to run these athletes through

there, Dan, that oughta give you enough ammunition to come up with a fiery reply along the lines of "it's all about competition!!!"

Comment

BV - the photos letter, yes.

Comment

>Hasn't that basically been happening for the past 50 years?

Oh absolutely, in which case we can say that the regionals are at best not going to help world-class collegians and at worst are going to make an already tough situation impossible.

I'm not for or against the new format, btw, just putting points...

Comment

gm- thanks for the softball. But I won't even touch the competition angle. Rather, do you really think collegiate track ain't broke?

I'll start a new thread with links to a very good 4-piece spread from the May 10 edition of NCAA News.

Comment

>gm- thanks for the softball. But I won't even touch the competition angle.
                    >Rather, do you really think collegiate track ain't broke?

I'll start a new
                    >thread with links to a very good 4-piece spread from the May 10 edition of NCAA
                    >News.

GM's post reflects an incorrect premise on the part of the opponents to the Regional system--that the old system wasn't broken.

The only real supporters of the old system were either coaches of wealthy programs who could fly their athletes to premier locations to hit Qs, and high-intensity stats fans who followed the sport intently week to week and kept track of who had qualified. I fell into the latter group until the mid-90s when I stepped back and got invovled in other things in my life. Once I did, I saw how absolutely boring the status quo was for the typical fan who wasn't following the week to week performances. There would be lots of irrelevant competitions, and then all of the sudden the NCAAs. The Regionals made the qualifying process relevant to the typical fan, and even brought the conference meets into the fold. Now there's a series of meets, not just one, that matters.

Comment

Working...
                    X