Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatta Weekend! Many changes, several shockers!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatta Weekend! Many changes, several shockers!

Most, if not all, of the following has been already mentioned, and discussed, on other threads, but I thought I'd try to compile an overall list....to indicate "whatta weekend" this was. Here's some of what I remember as being exciting for me.......or, in a few cases, pretty shocking!

Many (outdoor) season leaders. To name a few:
    Deon Lendore--45.00
    Duane Solomon--1:46.03
    Abbey D'Agostino--15:11.35 (CL)
    Courtney Corrin--20-11 (HSL)
    Jose Pena---8:27.66 SC
    Mike Rodgers--10.04
    Natoya Goule--2:00.76 (CL)
    Brenda Martinez---4:04.86
    English Gardner--11.00 (CL)

Some of the "shockers" were:

Carmelita Jeter pulling up in the 100 with a cramp.
    Morgan Uceny (2:05.50) and Lashinda Demus (2:08.81) both finishing last (9th).
    (Even though Demus wasn't in her specialty, she should be able to go faster than 2:08!!)
    A relative unknown beating Leo Manzano and Nick Symmonds in a mile.
    VCB's fast (though windy) 22.18.
    Andrew Wheating winning in 1:49.24. (Thought he'd given it up!!)

Like I said, this is just a short list!
    But it gives you SOME idea of "whatta weekend" this was.

And it's just the third week of April!!

Re: Whatta Weekend! Many changes, several shockers!

Mt. SAC men's HJ

1 Erik Kynard Kansas State 2.34m 7-08.00 (outdoor WL)
    2.13 2.18 2.23 2.28 2.31 2.34 2.37
    O O O O O XXO XXX
    2 Michael Mason Valley Royals 2.31m 7-07.00
    2.13 2.18 2.23 2.28 2.31 2.34
    O O XO O XO XXX
    2 Jesse Williams Nike 2.31m 7-07.00
    2.13 2.18 2.23 2.28 2.31 2.34
    O O O XO XO XXX
    4 Dusty Jonas Nike 2.28m 7-05.75
    2.13 2.18 2.23 2.28 2.31
    O O O XO XXX

Comment

Edit: I was clearly mixing up Wheating w/ Elijah Greer, who ran 1:46.2 on Saturday, the race I was describing below.

You're quoting that dyslexic Typo from the Front Page article: As stated in the other one (and I was there, so noticed the misstated time), Wheating ran 1:46.2! (sic, 1:49.24) Not much competition and he (Greer) waited until the Bowerman Turn (the last) to unleash his impressive sprint. Split was on the order of 52, by rabbit Scherer. It was also a bit windy, ~2 mps most of the day, and shifting.

Comment

Here's a few additions to the above:

New Season Leaders:

Team Jet-----41.79 (!!)
        Kibwe Johnson---250-3
        Eric Kynard---7-8 (outdoor leader)
        Randy Cunningham---7-3 (HSL)
        Yvette Lewis's wind-aided 12.43 (with Vashti Thomas at 12:56!)

Great races:

Solomon beating Sowinski, 1:46.03 to 1:46.05....with Sowinski negative splitting....and 3 more under 1:47.
        Both London Marathon races, with both Jeptoo and Kebede having GREAT finishes!!
        (Especially Jeptoo, with her 1:08 final half!!)
        Laura Roesler's 2:01.75, with 2 others under 2:02.
        McQuay beating Tyson Gay in the 400.

Poignant Moment:

The 30 seconds of silence before the London Marathon start to remember (and honor) the Boston victims!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackaloupe

You're quoting that dyslexic Typo from the Front Page article: As stated in the other one (and I was there, so noticed the misstated time), Wheating ran 1.46.2! Not much competition and he waited until the Bowerman Turn (the last) to unleash his impressive sprint. Split was on the order of 52, by rabbit Scherer. It was also a bit windy, ~2 mps most of the day, and shifting.
          Jack, you are the gold standard on these boards!!

Comment

When was the last time we didn't have weekends like this at the end of april ? I don't think anything extraordinary happened this weekend. Lots of college kids sprinting fast, like they always do in april, jamaicans joining in and the first guys jumping over 2.30, business as usual. And half of the season leaders are only leading because the season hasn't really started yet, i mean 8.27 over 3000H, really?

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk
              (Even though Demus wasn't in her specialty, she should be able to go faster than 2:08!!)
              Curious as to why you would say that?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Michael Mason Valley Royals 2.31m 7-7
                =PR
                Canuckian, 2004 World Jr champion

Comment

Originally posted by user4
                  Originally posted by Jackaloupe

You're quoting that dyslexic Typo from the Front Page article: As stated in the other one (and I was there, so noticed the misstated time), Wheating ran 1.46.2! Not much competition and he waited until the Bowerman Turn (the last) to unleash his impressive sprint. Split was on the order of 52, by rabbit Scherer. It was also a bit windy, ~2 mps most of the day, and shifting.
                  Jack, you are the gold standard on these boards!!
                  ???? official results and every newspaper story say 1:49.24. And I confirmed with the meet announcer that it was a 1:49, not 1:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra5
                    Curious as to why you would say that?
                    Very Simple.
                    Forget the name.....and look at "X" girl's PR's.

She can run 51.09 in the 400. (Has she bettered this?)
                    A woman (person!) who can run 51.....given a slowdown of about 7 seconds per 400 in an 800.....should be capable of 1:56. (Emphasis on the word "should"!)

But give this person even a TEN second slowdown per 400....and you'd still have her running a 2:02.

I can't imagine anyone, man or woman, not being able to hold within TEN seconds of their 400 PR in a 800. (Even knowing she's just using it as a strength test.)

Comment

So because Demus ran a 51.09 in 2010 she should be able to run faster than 2.08 in 2013 ? Lets wait for Marita Koch to come out of retirement and break the 800m WR then, after all, she once ran a 47.60 over 400.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
                        So because Demus ran a 51.09 in 2010 she should be able to run faster than 2.08 in 2013 ? Lets wait for Marita Koch to come out of retirement and break the 800m WR then, after all, she once ran a 47.60 over 400.
                        The topic of what a runner can do at a longer distance, based on a shorter distance time.....has been done on another thread.

But considering Demus and Koch......Koch is now 56 years old!
                        Demus is now 30.

If either of them are going to break the WR......and neither of them will!!!....it would be Demus, as she's still in her prime!!

Also, Demus hasn't run 47.60!!
                        (Though I believe she has a relay time of sub-50??)

Comment

Bolt can run 19.1x, so he can run 43-flat, so he can run 1:39, ...

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
                            The topic of what a runner can do at a longer distance, based on a shorter distance time.....has been done on another thread.

But considering Demus and Koch......Koch is now 56 years old!
                            Demus is now 30.

If either of them are going to break the WR......and neither of them will!!!....it would be Demus, as she's still in her prime!!

Also, Demus hasn't run 47.60!!
                            (Though I believe she has a relay time of sub-50??)
                            You are missing the point. A PB from three years ago has no relation to what an athlete can do today. Maybe Demus was injured until recently, had cramps during the race, got drunk with buddies the night before...
                            There are a million reason why she may be "slow" at the moment, but anything she achieved three years ago is no reason for any expectations today.

Comment

Many (outdoor) season leaders. To name a few:
                              Deon Lendore--45.00
                              Kirani James already leads the world with a 44.72 from last week

Comment

Working...
                              X