Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASU Frosh Running for Germany

I heard a freshman sprinter for ASU is going to compete for a spot for Germany's Olympic team. He may have been born there, his mother seems to be of a German heritage. He did go to grade and high school in Missouri. He is loaded with talent and could possibly some day make the US team. Does anyone know if this will prevent him from competing for the US later?

Re: ASU Frosh Running for Germany

Just so everyone is wondering what the above poster is talking about, his name is Domenik Peterson and he is enrolled at Arizona State.

Peterson was born in Germany and is majoring in the language as well. He has clocked 10.43 and 20.62 this outdoor season, including helping the Sun Devils to a time of 3:01.26 in the 4x400 meter relay.

I haven't heard if he is going to represent Germany (or even if he can), but their entire sprint squad, including Peterson, posts on our forum and I'll raise the question there.

Comment

Isn't there a rule that says if you actually represent a country in international competition (wearing their singlet/vest I suppose), then you can't compete for any OTHER country for three years since you last represented the previous country?

Whether the first country can consent to a release waiver and let you compete for somebody else WITHIN that three years is another question. There seems to be plenty of exceptions around- whether its an 800m runner moving from Kenya to Denmark or somebody else going to Qatar- some of them it seems are able to represent the new country almost immediately. Perhaps there's a lot of "payoff" $$$ to the original country to grant the waiver, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Whether the first country can consent to a release
        >waiver and let you compete for somebody else WITHIN that three years is another
        >question. There seems to be plenty of exceptions around- whether its an 800m
        >runner moving from Kenya to Denmark or somebody else going to Qatar- some of
        >them it seems are able to represent the new country almost immediately.

Kipketer did wait 3 years - the last time he represented Kenya was at the 1992 World Juniors, the first time he ran for Denmark was the 1995 WCh. And I don't suppose Peterson ever represented the US Or has he?
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Kipketer did represent Denmark in the '95 WC but he had to wait 7 years for his Danish citizenship before he could compete in the OG for Denmark.
          That's why he could not compete in Atlanta in '96.
          He was just a couple of months short but no exceptions could be made.

Comment

The rule also states that when both federations (the first and the new one) agree about the move, then the waiting period is reduced from 3 to 1 year.

Comment

Working...
            X