Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greene - American male sprinters way behind Jamaicans

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... orts1.html

American male sprinters have been playing catch-up to their Jamaican rivals in recent years. And as far as United States (US) great Maurice Greene is concerned, the current crop of US sprinters have a long way to go before reclaiming the sprint crown.

"It's going to take a couple of years to get back to really compete with Jamaica," said Greene during an interview with The Gleaner. "It's going to take a lot of work and a lot of years, but more importantly, it's going to take a lot of athletes who really want to work and get better."

Eight Jamaican men ducked under the 10-second barrier in the 100m last season, compared to six Americans, while five Jamaican men ran below 20 seconds in the 200m, with only one American doing likewise. Additionally, the five fastest times recorded in the 100m in 2012 were posted by Jamaicans, who also accounted for nine of the top 10 times registered in the 200m over the period.

Re: Greene - American male sprinters way behind Jamaicans

Between basketball and football, I am surprised there are any American sprinters left for track.

Meanwhile what else is there to do in Jamaica? Play Cricket I suppose.

Comment

Jamaica has a long and storied history of great success in International track and field and are great and worthy champions in the sprinting events. But they also should thank American football and basketball for stealing away many of our greatest sprinters and jumpers...Most of the very best athletes in America reside in those sports. And please don't give me that "The US is a vast country" bs...sprinting in the United States is strictly the domain of 12% of our population and is certainly depleted by the big money and notoriety of the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
        Between basketball and football, I am surprised there are any American sprinters left for track.
        If basketball and football are the explanation, why don't american women completely dominate the sprints? I assume the female loss to at least football is minimal?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
          If basketball and football are the explanation, why don't american women completely dominate the sprints? I assume the female loss to at least football is minimal?
          You been in a coma the last thirty years?
          American women have been extremely successful thank you very much sir.

Comment

Originally posted by jamboy
            [b]American male sprinters have been playing catch-up to their Jamaican rivals in recent years. And as far as United States (US) great Maurice Greene is concerned, the current crop of US sprinters have a long way to go before reclaiming the sprint crown.

"It's going to take a couple of years to get back to really compete with Jamaica," said Greene during an interview with The Gleaner. "It's going to take a lot of work and a lot of years, but more importantly, it's going to take a lot of athletes who really want to work and get better."
            While I agree with Mo, he left out one every important word in his 'solution'.
            American sprinters have everything the Jams have except one thing. They have the talent, the drive, the work ethic, the coaching, the facilities, the support, the incentive, but the one thing they lack is the cohesiveness. The Jams have an 'us vs. them' mentality to help each other. They are united (relatively speaking) in their desire to beat the rest of the world . . . together. The Amis are rivals and work in rival factions to 'get ahead' of each other. One of the most important pieces in the athletic puzzle is the concept of camaraderie. The Jams have it; the Amis don't.

Mo's last sentence should read: "the current crop of US sprinters have a long way to go TOGETHER before reclaiming the sprint crown."

Comment

Originally posted by beebee
              So have american men, this isn't about the last 30 years, this is about now. If you want to go back 30 years, lets see: In 1983 the best jamaican sprinter was Raymond Stewart, who was 31st in the world with 10.22s, 18 americans were faster than him that year. Last year there were more jamaican women then american among the top 20 over 100m and loss to professional sports certainly doesn't explain that.

Comment

So have american men, this isn't about the last 30 years, this is about now. If you want to go back 30 years, lets see: In 1983 the best jamaican sprinter was Raymond Stewart, who was 31st in the world with 10.22s, 18 americans were faster than him that year. Last year there were more jamaican women then american among the top 20 over 100m and loss to professional sports certainly doesn't explain that.
                I believe that most unjaded, fair-minded observers will agree that the American women sprinters had a very successful Olympics last year.

Comment

Who knows about the women. I don't follow them at all, so I have zero to say about what is going on there. But there could be all sorts of issues there. Cultural, opportunities whatever...

But for the men it is pretty easy. It has nothing to do with cohesion. Most of the Americans who could be great sprinters are in football, and perhaps some in basketball, where all of the money is. I am amazed the US has any decent sprinters anymore. As for the ones we do have, well, maybe they don't like getting hit. Who knows.

Jamaica is a fine country, and they have great athletes. So why turn it into some pissing contest about the US. Who cares what Mo Greene thinks.

Comment

Who knows about the women. I don't follow them at all, so I have zero to say about what is going on there. But there could be all sorts of issues there. Cultural, opportunities whatever...

But for the men it is pretty easy. It has nothing to do with cohesion. Most of the Americans who could be great sprinters are in football, and perhaps some in basketball, where all of the money is. I am amazed the US has any decent sprinters anymore. As for the ones we do have, well, maybe they don't like getting hit. Who knows.

Jamaica is a fine country, and they have great athletes. So why turn it into some pissing contest about the US. Who cares what Mo Greene thinks.
                    It's like the comment on another thread to the effect of "America doesn't have any successful Javelin throwers". Yes, we do. They're all very successful, making millions of dollars in the NFL and MBL.

Comment

Who cares what Mo Greene thinks.
                      It's far from 'easy'. There's all sorts of complex dynamics in play. It certainly is not as easy as saying 'they're all in pro sports'.
                      Who cares what Mo has to say? Many more than care what YOU or I say!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper
                        It's like the comment on another thread to the effect of "America doesn't have any successful Javelin throwers". Yes, we do. They're all very successful, making millions of dollars in the NFL and MBL.
                        Maybe Tebow should switch to the javelin then 8-)

Comment

Well, win or lose I hope that today's American athletes don't perform like astonishingly poor winners as Mr. Greene did, prancing around the stadiums like some minstrel on crack after races.

Maurice Greene, World Class sprinter...

World Class ugly American.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

Who cares what Mo Greene thinks.
                            It's far from 'easy'. There's all sorts of complex dynamics in play. It certainly is not as easy as saying 'they're all in pro sports'.
                            Who cares what Mo has to say? Many more than care what YOU or I say!!!
                            Yea, if he knew what he was talking about, instead of just playing the prima donna.

Comment

Well, win or lose I hope that today's American athletes don't perform like astonishingly poor winners as Mr. Greene did, prancing around the stadiums like some minstrel on crack after races.

Maurice Greene, World Class sprinter...

World Class ugly American.
                              Bolt does the exact same thing and is celebrated for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X