Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson Gay has only just stopped eating McD's 3 times a week

http://www.iaaf.org/news/feature/tyson- ... ter-times-

Another change Gay has made this year has been to his diet.

“In November, I had my blood work done and spoke to my nutritionist and learned that I was predisposed to diabetes,” said Gay. “It was a wake-up call. Diabetes runs on my mom’s side of the family. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes last year. Right around the time of the Olympics, he was rushed to the hospital after feeling light-headed. So it runs in the family, and that’s what’s scary.”

Gay admitted that his eating habits since 2004 had been far from healthy.

“I ate fast-food all the time. There are seven days in a week and I would eat at McDonald’s three times a week, at least.

“There were times I would go twice a day. It’s always because it’s just quick, and when you’re young and burning it off you don’t think much of it; but it can catch up to you. It took me 30 years to find that out. It’s nothing to play with.”

He has now cut fast-food out of his diet and is looking into hiring a chef to cook him healthy meals for the week to keep his diet on the straight and narrow.

Gay said he already feels better and has seen positive changes in his recovery from workouts.
    I'm often amazed when you uncover the details of top athletes how even the most sensible won't always engage in something like basic healthy nutrition. I'm taken back to British Cycling's success often being based upon the idea of 'aggregation of marginal gains', every small factor in sport is gain or a negative and they build up. I'm sure eating McD's 3 times a week, sometimes more than once a day had a significant impact of Gays ability to train, recover, avoid injury, heal-up etc. It's great he is seemingly in top form and training better than ever but there is an element that wonders if he could have been a closer challenger to Bolt or even been on the Olympic podium as an individual had he taken his nutrition and training techniques in a more sensible way?

Re: Tyson Gay has only just stopped eating McD's 3 times a w

This struck me in the same way. I thought a grinder like Gay would have figured this out years ago. It frustrates me to hear things like this.
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Yea I was puzzled by that too. How can you be an elite athlete and not know that nutrition is the most important thing that allows you to train at the level you need to train and recover. If he didn't know that I am surprised his coach did not sit him down and explain it to him years ago.

Comment

I suspect y'all would be astounded at the junk-food diets that probably fuel many, if not most, HS and college athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackrunner
          Yea I was puzzled by that too. How can you be an elite athlete and not know that nutrition is the most important thing that allows you to train at the level you need to train and recover. If he didn't know that I am surprised his coach did not sit him down and explain it to him years ago.
          I remember a lecture I had from a guy whose job is performance results in the NFL. He says a lot of guys know nutrition, it's just that in elite athletes, especially black elite athletes they can burn off the junk and maintain the high performance without any steps back. A lot of it is because they perform so well at sport at a young age they never see the negatives as they never genuinely meet an equal until they reach the top. This convinces a lot of them they are some how immune to the negative effects of junk food "as long as I burn it off". Of course these guys are world class but haven't realised they can get a bit more crucial improvements.

Comment

Yea I was puzzled by that too.
            Agreed, makes one wonder how much better he could have been than he already was during his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              I suspect y'all would be astounded at the junk-food diets that probably fuel many, if not most, HS and college athletes.
              Probably. The difference is, though, that Tyson Gay has had the time and money to afford a good diet.

Comment

He may be talking it up a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                  He may be talking it up a little bit.

I've heard him talk about hitting the McDs years before (I'm sure there is a YouTube video around 2010'ish where he says it and points out he doesn't drink) as his outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by eldanielfire
                    I remember a lecture I had from a guy whose job is performance results in the NFL. He says a lot of guys know nutrition, it's just that in elite athletes, especially black elite athletes they can burn off the junk and maintain the high performance without any steps back. A lot of it is because they perform so well at sport at a young age they never see the negatives as they never genuinely meet an equal until they reach the top. This convinces a lot of them they are some how immune to the negative effects of junk food "as long as I burn it off". Of course these guys are world class but haven't realised they can get a bit more crucial improvements.
                    Usain Bolt has a similar attitude to eating, and he admits that Mills nags him about the benefits of eating pasta instead of the KFC he love so much....

'I'm aware the weight piles on as you get older if you don't eat the right foods, so I might start taking more noice in a few years' time. If you train as we do, I don't think you need be concerned about a diet. You go to the gym, work on your abs, train down at the track and it all burns off.'
                    "Usain Bolt: My Story", pp195-6.

That said, he would only eat at KFC occasionally, preferring instead traditional Jamaican meals...
                    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

I always wonder exactly how much the occasional bad food affects performance or training. I'm assuming different people will react differently, but a cheat day once in a while is good for the soul and that benefit far outways a completely 100% healthy diet for 365 days of the year.

A 1995 documentary on Heike Drechsler saw her eating fired sausage sandwiches at a barbeque in her garden, washing it down with beer. Another scene saw her at a wine tasting event, progressively getting 'hammered'. Athletes are human and need their treats.

And what about Khristo Markov's 20 a day smoking habit? I am in no way supporting smoking but it didn't seem to affect him in his prime (God knows whether he has something nasty as a result of it now though)

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella
                        I always wonder exactly how much the occasional bad food affects performance or training. I'm assuming different people will react differently, but a cheat day once in a while is good for the soul and that benefit far outways a completely 100% healthy diet for 365 days of the year.

A 1995 documentary on Heike Drechsler saw her eating fired sausage sandwiches at a barbeque in her garden, washing it down with beer. Another scene saw her at a wine tasting event, progressively getting 'hammered'. Athletes are human and need their treats.

And what about Khristo Markov's 20 a day smoking habit? I am in no way supporting smoking but it didn't seem to affect him in his prime (God knows whether he has something nasty as a result of it now though)
                        Didn't Shirley Strong have a 100 a day habit :shock: !! that sounds rather excessive maybe i got that wrong

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/22 ... -43176.jpg
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                          Didn't Shirley Strong have a 100 a day habit :shock: !! that sounds rather excessive maybe i got that wrong

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/22 ... -43176.jpg
                          Ha!! Totally LOVE that picture! It's very Bet Lynch-like, or Queen Bea from Prisoner Cell Block H!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                            This struck me in the same way. I thought a grinder like Gay would have figured this out years ago. It frustrates me to hear things like this.
                            I was struck too, hopefully he figures out that the beef burgers are better for his sprinting than cabbage and rice or even snickers bars. It is frustrating.

Comment

Beef burgers better than cabbage and rice? Maybe more protien,but everything else, not as good.

Comment

Working...
                              X