Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shanghai DL: w100: Fraser-Pryce 10.93 (+0.1w) WL

I agree with the earlier post, it was heartening to see the other sprinters, including Fraser-Pryce and Okagbare, go to Jeter's aid after the race. Nice to see good sportsmanship alive and well!

Comment

Any word on the Jeter?

Comment

You have to be deaf to history's drums not to hear the war beat of sub-22 for Fraser-Pryce as a rival to Felix. It's particularly short-sighted not to envision her running 21.7 or 21.8 - much less 21.6; everything about what she's done so far says she more than overdue. Also, if VCB can beat Felix at 200m (or if you believe she still can), and Fraser-Pryce can beat VCB, then it stands to reason that Fraser-Pryce can beat Felix, too.

However, that's the theoretical math, here's the history:

Of the women who have run under 21.70 (Felix, Ottey, Jones and Flojo) only Felix does NOT have multiple races below 21.80, which kind of makes her 21.69 at the venue where sprints are assisted by the breath of GOD a bit an outlier (I don't want to use the word "luck"). And, when you consider the women who have run under 22.00 Felix falls in no better than other multiple sub-22ers like Torrance, Privalova, Ashford, Koch or even Dreschler.

As for SAFP not being able to crush 22.00? That's just not reality. When you look at the women who broke 22.00 once, but never ran it again, you get a list of medallists that replicates the all-time list: Jackson (JAM), Cuthbert (JAM), Gohr (GDR), Inger Miller (USA), and Barbel Wockel (GDR). And, you know how many of them were faster over 100m? Yup, NONE!

Fraser-Pryce ran 22.09 for silver in London days after winning gold and only 2 years after taking up the 200m for championship competition. In my opinion she hasn't shown how good she can be in the 200m yet; and, I do believe that she is MORE THAN CAPABLE of running 21.6/21.7.

Comment

Minor problem with the comment on the history of those sub-21.70. You used their entire careers; AF's is not yet done. You would have to compare the career up through only the year where they have their first sub-21.7 for it to be an apt point of comparison, and even then it has some standard statistical cheery picking, since her OG victory was very close and came after six rounds in the 100/200 (and with knowledge that she had the 4x100/4x400 races coming up).

Comment

Fraser-Pryce need to improve a lot in 200m basing on her 53+ 400m,others are good at 100m/200m can run below 52s at least,some of them can run below 50s.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
              Minor problem with the comment on the history of those sub-21.70. You used their entire careers; AF's is not yet done. You would have to compare the career up through only the year where they have their first sub-21.7 for it to be an apt point of comparison, and even then it has some standard statistical cheery picking, since her OG victory was very close and came after six rounds in the 100/200 (and with knowledge that she had the 4x100/4x400 races coming up).
              You're right: It is a bit of cherry picking only because its way too tedious; however, the thrust is that SAFP is capable of running Allyson Felix times in the 200m (I also don't rule out that Felix may be capable of running SAFP times in the 100m). Also, I've mentioned in previous threads that the rounds tire you out argument is probably not factual. It seems that most sprinters at the highest levels have their sprint PB's after rounds.
              Originally posted by nianchengyu
              Fraser-Pryce need to improve a lot in 200m basing on her 53+ 400m,others are good at 100m/200m can run below 52s at least,some of them can run below 50s.
              the 400m as secret to sub-22 angle is overhyped. A sprinter like SAFP is doing enough over distance already; it's a matter of perfecting her race not running sub-52s etc.

Comment

Hearing bad news on Jeter injury - full tear. Hope early diagnosis is wrong but at least she has the auto qualifier into Worlds so with a special exemption for missing US Nationals she should be able to return by the end of the season for Moscow.

I can't remember the precedent on an injured athlete being forced to participate in US Nationals to be able to take part in Worlds. Seems in 2011 Dwight Phillips had an injury and still competed at Nationals.

Comment

I'm not familiar with any competitive 400s for Heike Drechsler or Marlies Göhr, I am sure there is a lot more. While most 200 sprinters run quality 400, it is not a prerequisite.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by batonless relay
                    You're right: It is a bit of cherry picking only because its way too tedious; however, the thrust is that SAFP is capable of running Allyson Felix times in the 200m (I also don't rule out that Felix may be capable of running SAFP times in the 100m). Also, I've mentioned in previous threads that the rounds tire you out argument is probably not factual. It seems that most sprinters at the highest levels have their sprint PB's after rounds.
                    I did not indicate that I thought you were off on the SAFP possibilities; hence the 'minor problem'.

I think that it is harder to have a PR after two sets of rounds, which is harder than one set. Also, I suppose that if you have an easy time with the rounds (much better and easy to determine how easy you can race, which is harder with the 3-"semi" approach), then they can indeed prep you for a PR. With two sets of rounds, at least one is 'all-out" and usually the semi-final is pretty hard as well, so with two rounds you have 2 easy, two fairly hard, and one all-out (compared with one easy, one fairly hard). It also depends on the events, but it seems that SRR was past her best after the 200 semi while it was a bit easier for those doing the 100/200. It was good in a way that the top athletes were all doubling because it was a comparable situation. I do think it made the 200 marks a little slower than if they just had the 200 rounds.

[I also think that SAFP is more likely to run 21.7x or even 21.6x than AF is to run 10.6x; I do not think either is really likely but to think that SAFP has little chance to run sub-22 is to under-rate a proven performer. In the all-time greats listing she is clearly a challenge for her teammate and with likely a superior remaining career.

Comment

IF EVER Okagbere made a substantial improvement to her starts.....

Comment

The injury reminded me of VCB's injury from 2006 which cost her the season. Jeter's had niggles during the season before and come back, the US Trials qualifying will be the toughest bit.

Comment

Originally posted by kellits2gnv
                          Originally posted by Bolan
                          Shelly may very well complete the double in Moscow.
                          The notion that a woman who is yet to break 22 over 200m, will beat Allyson Felix is hilarious.
                          Prior to Allyson's first sub22 run in Osaka(21.81), her pb was 22.11. This while making the 200m her point of focus. Shelly Ann has a pb of 22.09 while not giving the event much attention. It's fair to give Allyson the nod since she's earned it, but it doesn't mean Allyson will stay faster.
                          All hail Lord Zanus!

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                            I'm not familiar with any competitive 400s for Heike Drechsler or Marlies Göhr, I am sure there is a lot more. While most 200 sprinters run quality 400, it is not a prerequisite.
                            Drechsler had a 50-flat relay leg in the 87 Euro Cup, off less than optimal pacing - she followed the Soviet Dzhigalove until the home straight then kicked past, running the last 100 in about 12.7. She near enough had even splits!

Comment

Working...
                            X