Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eaton & Hardee both out of Götzis

(yes, I realize the meet as a whole has its own thread)

T&FN has talked to both camps, and the latest on their injury situations is posted in a story now on the front page.

Re: Eaton & Hardee both out of Götzis

Never understood why they were entered in the first place.

Comment

smart idea for both to prepare for the usatf meet

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
        Because it's the best decathlon meeting in the world? Because every decathlete wants to be there? What's not to understand?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
          Because it's the best decathlon meeting in the world? Because every decathlete wants to be there? What's not to understand?
          Eaton didn't contest the Götzis decathlon last season, just the shot put. I don't understand, either, why he had entered the dec this season when he's got other stuff to think about. Other records to break. Other checks to pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
            Originally posted by norunner
            Eaton didn't contest the Götzis decathlon last season, just the shot put. I don't understand, either, why he had entered the dec this season when he's got other stuff to think about. Other records to break. Other checks to pick up.
            What does he have to think about? Trials? So athletes who want to compete at their national trials should not compete before, live in a bubble instead?

Comment

I can't speak about the other athletes; not sure how they became relevant to this discussion. Eaton's not to live in a bubble. Obviously he and his crew know what's best for him. They entered him into the entire decathlon for reasons obvious to them. I've been hoping he'd have been 100% for USATF, not worn down by his having competed at Götzis. Obviously they'd earlier believed it all to have been worth the risk, believing in whole or in part that he'd be reconciled to full fitness by the time the USA world championship trials came around.

Comment

Hardee doesn't need to do much at the trials, so him being entered here certainly made sense to me. Outside of OG and WC, Götzis is as important as it gets for decathletes. Which is why Eaton was also entered until his injury.

Šebrle used to compete in up to 4 decathlons a year in his prime. I don't see why Eaton can't do the same if he's completely healthy.

Comment

Because this is the only competition that Eaton can go for a big score without worrying that a mistake can cost him the gold medal. A fully fit Eaton could have give his best shot in Gotizs, and then come back the trials take things easy and score only 8,600 points, and still win by a large margin.
                  What is change is that:
                  1. Eaton is probably not fully fit
                  2. The weather in Gotizs will not allow Eaton to score big as he hoped to.
                  The logical thing to do then is to skip Gotizs and concentrate on Des Moines

Comment

The story indicated that, even when fit/uninjured that he could expect to not be fully recovered by the Trials. Šebrle is rather atypical and probably should not be used as a model for what works. If he goes and competes at a reduced effort and gets beat because 8600 is good but not great, what is the purpose?

Almost all of the other decathletes do not have to worry at all about competing for a slot, whereas Eaton could lose his if one thing is off.

Comment

It's funny, Hardee and Eaton as well as their coaches obviously thought it was a good idea to compete in Götzis, but apparently those four have no idea what's best for them because the experts here agree they shouldn't even have considered Götzis. Wonder how good Eaton would be if he actually had a clue what he was doing?

Comment

Why the sarcasm? As previously stated, Eaton and company obviously thought it a good idea this season to contest the dec at Götzis. I didn't. I don't know what they're doing in training, nor do I profess to even have a slight inkling as to what's best for him. Fortunately for all involved, he's got his own professional team assessing what's best for him, and they'd decided to attempt Götzis; now, they're not. I wanted (selfishly, as in a desire) to have him 100% ready for USATF, where, hopefully he could compete as well (or better, given his improved form this season) as last season, but in better temperatures/conditions. Both in the championship month of June, to which he's accustomed to achieving excellent decathlon results.

Comment

Working...
                        X