Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Eugene have an indoor track?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why doesn't Eugene have an indoor track?

Originally posted by JumboElliott
    Also, spending the public's money on stadiums/arenas/sports facilities is unnecessary welfare at best and extortion at worst.
    All of this hinges on (and was conjured up with the consideration of) the deep pockets and interest Nike apparently have in matching outdoor interest/success, indoors.

Comment

Eugene will probably get a facility but it will have less to do with Nike, Lananna or T&F and more to do with it being a NEED for the football program. Indoor facilities is the new price of admission for the elite programs. They'll just decide to put a track around it like University of Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by batonless relay
        They'll just decide to put a track around it like University of Kentucky.
        I like Texas A&M's combo facility with banked 200-meter track better.

Comment

Quick question from a non-american: Last time i was in California in january i was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Why would you need an indoor track at a place where you almost never have snow?

Comment

You do know that Eugene isn't in California, right?

As to indoor facilities in places where it doesn't sno, It "never" snows in Seattle, but nobody can train in freezing rain all winter.

Comment

California is a BIG place. With one exception, the largest snowfall I have been in was in California -- in August (and you might see that I am in Madison, WI). Even northern California is not all that warm in the winter and the days are short. Go up to Eugene and that are a lot of pretty cool days -- and a lot of rain. Especially for the non-distance runners, trying to run hard in the cold rain is not always a great idea. And even though I only lived there a few years (Oregon State, actually) we had some snow and temperatures down to the teens.

But, the football program probably is part of the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

As to indoor facilities in places where it doesn't sno, It "never" snows in Seattle, but nobody can train in freezing rain all winter.
                Pretty sure that was tongue in cheek, but I have been snowed in multiple times here in portland and seen the same thing in Seattle. It isn't the Midwest but we do get snow up here in addition the the very cold rain.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

I know, i was refering to aaronk mentioning indoor meetings in LA and SF.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk
                    Why doesn't Nike build an indoor track facility in Eugene?
                    Because they want to build an oversize track, and GH won't coun't any of their marks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                      Because they want to build an oversize track, and GH won't coun't any of their marks!
                      I'm with GH on that one!!
                      To me, OT marks are just like wind-aided or downhill marathon course marks!
                      Okay to list.....but separately....and never to be considered official!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                        Because they want to build an oversize track, and GH won't count any of their marks!
                        He counts those marks - they are very valid for 'overall' times (e.g., with outdoor). For me, the highly-banked 200 ovals are at least as advantageous as the 300m over-sized tracks up through probably 600m and I suggest that they not treat those marks as unacceptable unless they toss the aided, and they are actually aided marks from those banked venues.

Comment

Track would already be built behind west grandstands IF the university had ok'd taking away intramural fields currently there. Apparently UO admin doesn't want the intramural fields kicked "off" campus like football and baseball stadiums. I would suggest building it on intramural field but putting a flat roof on top and having field on top like some places have done. If they did this right they could have it connect to backside of main grandstand and then include suites and updated media and timing/announcing booth that could work to serve both indoor and outdoor facility. The plans are for a 200 meter banked track although there is some desire for the extra sprint area elements for training and racing like at Texas A&M. Could be used as warm-up area for meets like NCAA Outdoor or Olympic Trials as well.

Money is not really an issue as Phil would bankroll this.

I have always felt an indoor track in Eugene would be hugely popular during the winter months and if built with enough seating could host meets of all levels including World Indoor. The cost savings cited in article for team travel would be tremendous and it would reduce load on meets that UW is putting on as well. They could alternate weekends or even coincide a time or 2 and spread out fields so meets not so long as is case at UW.

Word is Nike is "considering" a big 300 meter style track as they develop their major world HQ campus expansion. If done right Nike could host events in Portland facility beyond track such as AAU basketball and volleyball, special trade events, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X