X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BillVol
    replied
    Re: Best college track facilities?

As a community service, I have added links below to the Sooner and Nole track facilities -- both of which appear to be top notch.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle ... CLID=36738

http://seminoles.collegesports.com/faci ... track.html

http://utsports.collegesports.com/facil ... black.html

As for our own Tom Black Track, there are some good things about the track, but I wish we had something better. The surface itself is good. We have a color jumbotron scoreboard. I guess the lighting and timing are good. I've always liked that it is in the heart of the campus.

Here comes the but... BUT, the track got messed up a bit when they moved the sprints and finsh line opposite the original stands. They did this because it is a windy track and guys were always sprinting into the wind. Now we have a bunch of wind-aided times.

The tradition of Tom Black Track was having all the fans in the original, cement stands. Now they have built temporary aluminum seating along the new homestretch. Some problems with this: the stands are harder to get to, the press box is still on top of the old stands, the sun is always in your eyes in the new seats. There is only an officials box on the new finish line.

I keep hoping that we'll start from scratch and one day put up a facility that our program deserves.

Leave a comment:

• br
    replied

>Gotta send a shout out to my alma mat' for the Division III college rankings.The Big O... Occidental College. Widest turns legal makes for ridiculously fast 400's. I think the track record is only mid 44, but consider it's a D III facility...

Tyree Washington, 44.28, in 2001.

Leave a comment:

• KEL
    replied

Although I have visited few of the tracks east of the Rockies, I use the University of Oregon's Hayward Field as my standard of reference. Up to this point I haven't found a facility that offers as complete a package. Indeed they could expand the capacity and do a few more things to improve. The warmup tracks south of the competition track was a great addition.
    I hope that having the Pre a couple of weeks later than usual will bring warmer termperratures for the sprinters and throwers.

Leave a comment:

• Decastar
    replied

BYU has a very nice stadium (http://www.byucougars.com/track_field/facilities.html). It upgraded a few years ago to the Mondo Super X surface (in the blue, of course) and has had some really fast times (http://www.byutrack.com/various/special ... s_Info.htm). I love competing here.

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

But at BYU, you have to go off campus for a cup of coffee. Thats worse than the hot dogs at Edwards.

Leave a comment:

• BCBaroo
    replied

Gotta send a shout out to my alma mat' for the Division III college rankings. The Big O...Occidental College. Widest turns legal makes for ridiculously fast 400's. I think the track record is only mid 44, but consider it's a D III facility...

Leave a comment:

• Since 1956
    replied

BYU has a real nice one...especially now since the track was freshly re-surfaced. The beautiful mountains as a back drop doesn't hurt.

Leave a comment:

• confute
    replied

By far, the Univ. of Houston has one of the best, if not the best indoor/outdoor facility. It would definitely be the best if the indoor 200 meter track was banked.

Leave a comment:

• buckeye II
    replied

Kurt, I'm well aware that everything is legit, and always has been. I couldn't help but try to stir up a Cincy grad, particularly a javelin thrower since they will ALWAYS defend their event. An admirable trait and you carried the torch well.

Leave a comment:

• Kurt Francis
    replied

Buckeye II:

I haven't thrown at FSU since '89 and haven't been back there since, but neither the infield or outside throwing areas were downhill at that time. I can assure you that marks were accepted from FSU at that time.

Kurt

Leave a comment:

• Barto
    replied

OU is the Taj Mahal of new facilities. Unbelievably nice!!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

> My wife has instructions to scatter my ashes on those stairs.<

When I was young, I thought I'd want my ashes scattered on the cinder track at my college, so that I'd become part of the track itself. I'm glad I didn't die young and have that done because now I'd be buried under a slab of Mondo. (Yes, there are other reasons, I'm glad of that.)

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

Edwards stadium at California is pretty nice. Good track, all field events in stadium, holds about 20K people, lots of history. Downside, worst hot dogs in the history of the world.

Leave a comment:

• bigred
    replied

The fairly new mondo track at Navy is fast. Nice facility.

Leave a comment:

• The Fern
    replied

I was really considering the quality of the attention given to Track and Field. I suppose pictuesque-ness is also a quality to be looked at, that's why I used to love Rutgers Stadium. I trained there for many years and ran thousands of flights of stairs there. My wife has instructions to scatter my ashes on those stairs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X