Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, NCAA West Regionals...

I've looked at a number of results from the west coast NCAA regional, and frankly the results look pretty pathetic.

The Pacific coast used to be the hotbed of track and field, so what the hell happened?

Most of the qualifying times from the results I've seen so far wouldn't even make the finals in the MidEast and MidWest regions.

Does anyone care any more out there?

Re: Wow, NCAA West Regionals...

I'm thinking they should combine the Midwest and West Region. I think only 9 or 10 guys showed up for the 100 in both regions. Just lump them all together.

Comment

Myabe combining the East and West regionals would be more appropriate. Without a doubt the MidWest region is the second strongest this year, and not that far behind the MidEast.

Comment

Yeah, What About NCAA West Regionals...

Yeah, there is a lot wrong with the NCAA West Region:

- Freshman Tommy Skipper cleared 5,75m in the vault, "But isn:t the world record over 6 meters?" you ask.
        - Ida Nilsson ran a NR and CR (9.43,25) and Kassi Anderson set an ACR (9.44,68) in the steeple. "Yes, those steeple barriers did appear to be a little too low."
        - Arizona State men ran to 38,92/3.01,77 double sprint victories, "But UCLA ran 2,59,91 back in 1988," you explain.
        - Monique Henderson posted a 50,65 in the 400m, "oh it is about time she ran faster than her high school PR," you say.
        - A 4.12 in the women:s 1,500m - "ah, but she was a foreigner", you think.
        - Craig Everhart (44,89) and Lewis Banda (45,10) competed in the 400m. "The track must have been short a few meters,".
        - Sheena Johnson ran 12,85 in the hurdles. "The wind gauge must have been pointing the wrong direction," you reason.

- Stanford sets school record in men:s 4x100m, but who cares.
        - Ian Dobson runs 3rd-best Stanford time in steeple.
        - Stanford:s Katy Trotter sets school record in women:s steeple.
        - Stanford frosh Arie Lambie sets school freshman record in finishing 2nd in the 1,500m (4.13,14).
        - The men:s 1,500m CL is moving on to the NCAAs.

God forbid this region get any worse. I am sure you can not stand seeing such incredibly, bad performances and results. You may wonder why someone doesn:t fire the company which posted them, because now you have a headache from having had high expectations and getting in return such a disappointing reality.

Comment

Re: Yeah, What About NCAA West Regionals...

Ok so the west regional had a few good performances, some even exceptional. When you look at the overall top 5 finishers in the individual events compared to the other regionals they are easily the worst. The biggest concern is the number of competitors in the west region. In many of the events they were running prelims to eliminate 1 or 2 people from advancing to the finals.

Comment

That is no different that some conference events have been in the past. Bring the CA talent which flocked to the south back to the West Coast.

Comment

How about the fantastic 4 x 400 in a tad over
              3:01?

The 400 was strong.

The one area that was pretty pathetic, though, was sprinting by the men. Really bad.
              "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

>Ok so the west regional had a few good performances, some even exceptional.
                >When you look at the overall top 5 finishers in the individual events compared
                >to the other regionals they are easily the worst. The biggest concern is the
                >number of competitors in the west region. In many of the events they were
                >running prelims to eliminate 1 or 2 people from advancing to the finals.

The MW distances were pathetic in comparision to the West. All of the 1st place female MW winners'(distance) didn't make the top 5 in the West womens races and the 5th place womens 5K was a 17:25!
                Obviously there is a disparity in the sprint races, but the same is true in the distance races. From that perspective the MW looks to be the worst region.

Comment

Ummm, I'm going to say it was a tad bit warmer, windier and more humid in College Station than it was in Northridge

Ritzenhein's 5k was fun to watch as he cranked it from wire to wire. He was rolling and trying to get a fast-ish time.

The men's 1500 was tactical, to say the least, with a mad dash over the final 100, while Eldridge masterfully controlled the women's 1500.

Comment

Part of the disparity in the sprints seems to be (talent aside), the other regions had hurricanes and the west had legal winds mostly.

Comment

>Ummm, I'm going to say it was a tad bit warmer, windier and more humid in
                      >College Station than it was in Northridge

Ritzenhein's 5k was fun to
                      >watch as he cranked it from wire to wire. He was rolling and trying to get a
                      >fast-ish time.

The men's 1500 was tactical, to say the least, with a mad
                      >dash over the final 100, while Eldridge masterfully controlled the women's
                      >1500.

I'll bet that it was a tad warm, windy and humid in Baton Rouge, LA too!Their 1500m times were 4:11-4:18 Doesn't quite make up for the disparity in times- Esp. when the MW women's 1500m didn't even run a prelim. like all the other regions. I'll wager that it will be a little warm in Austin in June for the NCAA's....

Comment

- Freshman Tommy
                        >Skipper cleared 5,75m in the vault, "But isn:t the world record over 6
                        >meters?" you ask.

for anyone who doesnt know already, this is indeed art skipper's younger brother (art being the natl HS record holder in the javelin.. i think it still is the record anyway)

Comment

>for anyone who doesnt know already, this is indeed art skipper's younger brother (art being the natl HS record holder in the javelin.. i think it still is the record anyway)

... who was killed in a single-engine plane crash east of Sandy, Oregon 16-October 2001. Tommy Skipper hasn:t missed a beat - having tackled life head-on in the wake of tragedy.

Comment

Combine the west and midwest regionals.....what a great idea...seeing as the 100 is the only important event in track and field, the west is far less superior than the other regions
                            if we combine the regions it will take 20.30 to get out in the 200
                            44 high in the 400
                            50 flat in the 400h
                            64 feet in the shot
                            7'3 in the hj
                            and so on and so on.....oh and the womens polevault could last through the night and into the next day....if your not a track fan then dont make statments about track. no one ran the 100 because they have better chances to SCORE at nationals in other events. for the elite athletes regionals is a route to nationals, not a last chance qualifier....if all you want to see is the 100 then record the homedepot meet and loop the tape

Comment

onecal, buddy, as if it wasn't tough in the other regions. How about the 2 in the mideast? or jav and 110h in the east? and..i could go on as well, but i realize u guys like it the way u have it now, god forbid you have a greater depth of quality like the other regions.

Comment

Working...
                              X