Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story On Joe Henderson's Departure From RW

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2004/ ... .0528.html

(and just think: if Joe hadn't taken the RW job lo those many years ago, gh wouldn't have been able to replace him at T&FN!)

Re: Story On Joe Henderson's Departure From RW

I've been subscribing(before he started giving it away) to Running Commentary for I don't know how long-over 20 years anyway. Here is the written version of the speech he gave to the Road Runners Club of America when they gave him the Journalistic Excellence Award. He gets into some of the personal difficulties that he has been going through of late that Bellamy talks about. Probably puts the whole split with RW into perspective.

http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/current.html

Comment

Was this just a classic case of the publisher of RW thought he wasn't 'hip' enough for the demographic that were targeting? Very short-sighted.

Comment

This was a much needed change for RW. The format was tired, kids don't want to keep reading the same old subjects , talking about the "old" days. JH will do fine , I like the new format. Give the "penguin " the boot next , then " galowalk" .

Comment

>This was a much needed change for RW. The format was tired, kids don't want to
          >keep reading the same old subjects , talking about the "old" days. JH will do
          >fine , I like the new format. Give the "penguin " the boot next , then "
          >galowalk" .>>

If anything they are going in the 'other' direction - less relevant to competitive running.

Comment

"If anything they are going in the 'other' direction - less relevant to competitive running."

which I hope drives people back to T&FN, but I doubt it, especially with the current mess. I guess they're going for the 'I'm OK, you're OK, even if you are a 60 minute 10K runner.' (which most of us are, but I hate to see mediocrity rewarded - I don't need to read about other plodders like myself)

Comment

I admit that I am hopelessly nostalgic, but I loved Joe Henderson's insightful writing...I miss him.

It's interesting what happens on this board when ever RW comes on the scene: since they cover the recreational runner more than competitive running, the bashing begins. I happen to be one who enjoys both: I like to avidly follow the competitive running, but I also really enjoy the recreational aspect. At age 59 I love my 3-4 times a week 3 mile jaunt...at about 10 minute/ mile pace. Feels great and keeps me healthy.

So I am suggesting that it's O.K. to recognize the two aspects (competitive and recreational) and that theirs a place for both.

Comment

>I admit that I am hopelessly nostalgic, but I loved Joe Henderson's insightful
                >writing...I miss him.

No need to miss him. He will send you an email everytime he posts a new piece on his site. Here are his archived articles:

http://www.joehenderson.com/archive/forum.html

Comment

MJD: thanks, I wasn't aware he was doing such.

Comment

>I hate to see mediocrity rewarded - I don't need to read about other plodders
                    >like myself)
                    Remember way back in the early 80's when everyone got upset because RW started using models for their covers, rather than "real" runners? One month, you had the option of the Patty Catalano (yeah!) cover or the RW cover model! The guys on their covers these days look like the guy in the Bow-Flex commercial who loses more body hair as he gets fitter! (kinda like the Wolfman changing back to human)

That said, they *do* still have some pretty good articles, even though 90% of the magazine is recycled themes. I thought their Boston Marathon story about Salazar and Beardsley was excellent.

And why be hard on Jeff Galloway? Here is a guy who has worked his butt off for the sport all of his life (plus an Olympian) to the point where he can make a living by encouraging a lot of non-athletic people to run marathons. He should be admired.

Comment

Working...
                    X