Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOT a political thread

Dialogue here occasionally spills over into the political, and I've been suprised at how right-wing some of the views expressed are. I've somehow always associated T&F with (my own) political liberalism because I think of it as a pure sport, attractive to academics and "intellectuals." I associate right wing views with stock-car racing and the NFL (though I like the NFL myself). My question is, without reference to any particular political issue, is T&F fandom usually an indication of an ideological bent, or is it a completely neutral factor?

Re: NOT a political thread

>Dialogue here occasionally spills over into the political, and I've been
    >suprised at how right-wing some of the views expressed are. I've somehow
    >always associated T&F with (my own) political liberalism because I think of it
    >as a pure sport, attractive to academics and "intellectuals." I associate
    >right wing views with stock-car racing and the NFL (though I like the NFL
    >myself). My question is, without reference to any particular political issue,
    >is T&F fandom usually an indication of an ideological bent, or is it a
    >completely neutral factor?

Funny because from my perspective(and it is all about perspective), I consider your theory more the case than what you consider your reality. And, IMHO, it is for the very reason you say. Many involved in the sport actually come from an academic background or get into teaching. You can't help but be swayed by the liberalism of academia. Now that is ironic coming from a non USAnian(to steal an Asterix term) because on Now with Bill Moyers last night(how is that for a conservative wearing a hair shirt but you have to get all points of view), they were discussing the fact that European(and presumably Canadian)conservatives view people like even Howard Dean as too right wing for their tastes. Having said all of that, there are definitely conservatives lurking and speaking up periodically but often you bite your tongue when in the midst of many that disagree with you.

Another chance to wave the flag by the way. America is in the last 4 months of the endless presidential election cycle. They dropped the writ up here a week ago and it will be all wrapped up by the end of June.

Comment

I've somehow always associated T&F with (my own) political liberalism because I think of it as a pure sport, attractive to academics and "intellectuals." I associate right wing views with stock-car racing and the NFL (though I like the NFL myself). My question is, without reference to any particular political issue, is T&F fandom usually an indication of an ideological bent, or is it a completely neutral factor>>>

a decent point but overgeneralizing way too much.
      if your premise is true (that a lot of t&f fans are liberals while most nascar and football fans are conservative) that could partially explain lack of track's appeal to the average american and the lack of corporate money that the sport gets (nothing to the effect baseball, football and nascar get).

Comment

It is precisely because track and field by NATURE and individual sport that I, as a proud and unabashed CONSERVATIVE (Bush is moderate in my view), that I was attracted to the sport. The flight of a discus, javelin, hammer...the biomechanics of all the movements appeal to the engineer in me.

I tend to believe based on voting records that most of the "liberals" that post on these boards are more associated with the West & East coasts, not necessarily with track and field. I know MANY coaches who are conservative. Unfortunately, the sport, as in other sports, is associated with those who like to THINK of themselves as academics, not those who actually USE their brains. If that offends many of you on the political left, so be it..it's your own problem.

Kurt

Comment

If your east-west coast thesis is correct, that would be a primarily Blue states area of interest, for [email protected]
          Blue states elect moderates. As for that event in Nov., whoever takes Ohio wins.

Comment

Satch is the only" intellectual" on this board and he's a college drop out.

Comment

Now why am I not surprised by Satch's response?

Comment

Dialogue here occasionally spills over into the political, and I've been suprised at how right-wing some of the views expressed are.<<

Could you give some examples, please?

I've somehow always associated T&F with (my own) political liberalism because I think of it as a pure sport, attractive to academics and "intellectuals."<<

As a libertarian, I'd find it anathema to many of the beliefs liberals hold dear. We don't have racial preferences for slow white sprinters, do we--an extra 3 meters per 100 or so might prove very helpful--and I have yet to see this placed on the table (perhaps, because whites are the "oppressors" who are upholding the pillars of "institutional racism" which prevent blacks from succeeding in T&F), nor do we censor T&F athletes, nor do reward the unsuccessful, nor do we insist that athletes train in a single, officially sanctioned manner, nor do we insist that all finishers are winners, and that nobody may run faster than the slowest competitor, blah blah blah...

The appeal of a Darwinist, *honest* (with the obvious exception of doping) sport like T&F to leftists is completely lost on me...

Comment

>Satch is the only" intellectual" on this board and he's a college drop out.

There are plenty of real intellectuals, but only Satch is an "intellectual"

Comment

Kirsner72, what the hell are you saying? I am just too dense to understand your rant.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Kirsner72, what the hell are you saying? I am just too dense to understand your rant.<<

That's okay. Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up. (Props to http://www.despair.com/potential.html)

And yes, I do want fries with that.

Comment

I just love arrogant punks.
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>It is precisely because track and field by NATURE and individual sport that I,
                          >as a proud and unabashed CONSERVATIVE (Bush is moderate in my view),

Man oh man Kurt, you would hate it up here:

"Prisoners must apply for a special ballot, which can be cast at polling stations inside prisons 10 days before
                          the June 28 general election. They can vote for a candidate in either the riding where they lived before going
                          to prison, or the one where they were convicted."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 8350116467

Comment

>is T&F fandom usually an indication of an ideological bent, or is it a
                            >completely neutral factor?

Sports are definitely politics-neutral, and I would even say culture-neutral. Through my high school and college track careers, I noticed that once away from the track, I didn't share any more commonalities with my teammates than the general population. Some of my teammates I could socialize with, but most did not share my tastes. Some of us liked dark beers, others liked Bud Light. Some liked live music, others went to discos. I was (and still am) an atheist, others joined Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Some were flaming lefties, others righties, and a good many didn't give a flip about politics at all.

And you know what? Those differences are a good thing. I've been reading articles lately on how politically polarized our nation is, and it's reflected in the way our voting districts have become so gerrymandered. Most districts are completely homogenized in one direction or the other, and the result is that people of different political persuasions never talk to the other side of the fence -- they only hear their own beliefs reinforced back at them. By bringing people of all beliefs into the same stadium at at sporting event, maybe some conversations might happen between people who wouldn't normally meet. It forces all of us to realize that the "other side" are real people who in many respects want the same thing as us, not some evil, disembodied "other" that we only see quoted in the paper.
                            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

MJD:

Just read the article you linked. Unfreaking believable, but very believable given what I've seen from the Democrat party in our country for the past 40 years. I'll leave it at that. You might as well let the foxes run the hen-house once you give convicts the right to vote. Our world is nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X