Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zelinka: Switching Training Locations Becomes Detrimental

A TFN front-page story on Canadian heptathlete/100m hurdler Jessica Zelinka (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Mov ... story.html) reveals how the star has had funding slashed for relocating to from Calgary to Connecticut.

"For sure, she doesn't have as much support as she did last year," said Rob Guy, chief executive for Athletics Canada. "But having said that, I don't think anybody does."

Part of the challenge, though, was in her decision to move.

"She also made the decision to move to Connecticut, where she didn't have a coach. Last year, she was based in Calgary, where we have a national training centre and some of those support services, as well ...," Guy said
    Where should the support line be drawn if an athlete determines it in their best interest to train outside of their home country?

Should it be a we have no control over what you're doing, you're totally on your own, best of success kind of deal?

Or _____________ ?

On a semi-related note, does Farah have his funding reduced for training outside of Great Britain, that's to say in the USA?

Re: Zelinka: Switching Training Locations Becomes Detrimenta

This idea of "funding" is insane to me.

Comment

Jumbo why do you not understand funding? Every nation provides funding for its athletes including the USA. Our tier one athletes recieve funds to cover costs of life and training and treatment regardless of where the athlete chooses to train. Some athletes choose to also live for free at the training center and utilize the national coaches there but many don't. We also provide groups for some of the training groups of a half-dozen or more. Very similar to UK but seemingly less restrictive than many countries.

For some athletes this money is pocket change like Gay or Felix or Rupp but for many its a major way they can stay in the sport. My only complaint with the system is we should be doing more for the post-collegiates for the first 3-4 years out of college to encourage more to stay in sport who are close but just need some financial help to get to the next level.

Comment

National federations probably draw the line anywhere they want, and adjust it depending on circumstances -- the athlete, the event, athlete's success therein, etc. It's not hard to imagine decision makers seeing more value in a top-eight 100m or 1500m runner wishing to train in Clearwater or Portland than they do in a top-eight heptathlete relocating to Stamford.

The article doesn't say what her funding was before, or if in-kind support services such as those available at a nearby national training center are considered part of the funding, but it seems she's still pulling in $18,000 in base federal funding plus sponsors. A lot of athletes would kill for that.

Comment

Athletics Canada is a government sponsored organization. The idea of governments providing welfare to athletes is crazy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintdoc
            Jumbo why do you not understand funding?.
            I'm sure we all understand the concept. Some of us don't think tax payer money should be subsidizing people's athletic endeavors.

Comment

Without the public purse, I would suggest close to nothing and noone in our sport would exist.

Think about where most athletes get a start - within public-funded schooling.

The more successful among them go on to win (often) publicly funded college scholarships, or, outside the US, via dripfed national schemes such as described here.

Many of the stadia/grounds they train and compete in where principally funded out of the public purse, and when and if they make a national team, often their travel etc is funded out of the public pocket too.

Sure there are privately-funded avenues, but must run in parallel/mimic/aim to top their public counterpart, and often would not exist in isolation (e.g. would college sport exist if all state colleges withdrew?).

If you want to gripe about wasted tax dollars and our sport, have a look at the grey-hairs marching in opening ceremonies and living off the teat of Joe Public as IOC/IAAF delegates etc...

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                Without the public purse, I would suggest close to nothing and noone in our sport would exist.

Think about where most athletes get a start - within public-funded schooling.

The more successful among them go on to win (often) publicly funded college scholarships, or, outside the US, via dripfed national schemes such as described here.

Many of the stadia/grounds they train and compete in where principally funded out of the public purse, and when and if they make a national team, often their travel etc is funded out of the public pocket too.

Sure there are privately-funded avenues, but must run in parallel/mimic/aim to top their public counterpart, and often would not exist in isolation (e.g. would college sport exist if all state colleges withdrew?).

If you want to gripe about wasted tax dollars and our sport, have a look at the grey-hairs marching in opening ceremonies and living off the teat of Joe Public as IOC/IAAF delegates etc...
                Excellent! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                  Amen, to that! One Caribbean nations athletes told me that they were threatened with being removed from the Olympic Games if they didn't move back so that the members of their NOC could march out front. But, I believe I read somewhere that the IOC has realized the overzealousness of some of it's member NOC's and has made a rule that states only athletes can march now.

That said, I don't think ANY sport would exist without public funds, not just ours.

Comment

It seems to me that the lack of funding from the Canadian Government has nothing to do with her performance drop. Her husband took a good job, so presumably that is enough to cover whatever funding she got before.
                    The real problem is that she moved away from her coach. Now she is being coached via email.
                    It's her own choice, and the Canadian government shouldn't be blamed for her drop off.

Comment

Zelinka made a conscious decision to relocate her training base. Now she needs to live with her decision and stop the bellyaching.

Comment

Originally posted by celar68
                        Zelinka made a conscious decision to relocate her training base. Now she needs to live with her decision and stop the bellyaching.
                        Did you read the article? Sounds like she's laughing about it and taking in stride to me.

Comment

Is it mainly a funding drop or does she lose the value of all those services and facilities she had at the training center (centre :wink: ).

Comment

Working...
                          X