Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portland Roughriders Twilight--July 15 (19?)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland Roughriders Twilight--July 15 (19?)

During an interview after the women's 10K, Alberto Salazar mentioned he might organize a meet so Tara Erdmann and Jordan Hasay can chase the 31:45 "A" standard.

GREAT idea!
    But he also apparently said that race would be "mixed", with one or more of his group doing the pacing for the women.
    Meaning he'd have a man do the pacing!

I don't see why a woman couldn't be the pacer.
    Salazar knows everyone in track, so surely he could find a good woman to handle the pacing, maybe going the first 5K in about 15:50.

Also, while not part of his group, I'd like to see the meet opened up to others, men and women, who need Q's.
    I'm thinking especially of Cory McGee, the SC'ers who need a mark (Kipp, Higginson??), and ALL of the male 1500 crew!!

And I'm sure I've forgotten some others who need Q's.

As was suggested, it could be held at Hayward (or Portland?), with maybe 5000 fans showing up to watch!!

One thing Salazar said today that confuses me.
    He said, I believe, that his group (including Mary Cain) are heading for his training site in St Moritz!
    Sounded like they'd be leaving almost immediately.
    If so, then when would this "marks chasing" meet be held??
    And where?

Re: Salazar's "mark chasing" meet

there is plenty of time, 27 days, my guess is all our runners that need standards will get into meets in europe, except the 10000 runners jordan and erdmann, the reason they probably wont chase the 10000 standard in europe is because the only womens 10000 in europe that i know of is thursdays meet in ostrava and salazar may think that is not enough recovery after their last race (salazar has said in the past his athletes can even run a marathon 1 week after a 10000 saying farah may run the 10k/marathon double in 2016, and rupp and farah ran the 10k/5k double in 2012)

but those are older mature athletes erdmann and hasay are still very young so they may need more time. or maybe salazar did not know there is a womens 10000 in ostrava at the time he was interviewed, if that is the case i am sure it has been brought to his attention by now.

another possible option is sometimes countries doing national championships allow guest athletes, defar ran her 29:59 in the british championships and kidane has run the british trials also.

hopefully the ostrava startlist will be out today or tomorrow to see if hasay and erdmann have entered.

Comment

Originally posted by doug5321
      there is plenty of time, 27 days, my guess is all our runners that need standards will get into meets in europe, except the 10000 runners jordan and erdmann, the reason they probably wont chase the 10000 standard in europe is because the only womens 10000 in europe that i know of is thursdays meet in ostrava and salazar may think that is not enough recovery after their last race (salazar has said in the past his athletes can even run a marathon 1 week after a 10000 saying farah may run the 10k/marathon double in 2016, and rupp and farah ran the 10k/5k double in 2012)

but those are older mature athletes erdmann and hasay are still very young so they may need more time. or maybe salazar did not know there is a womens 10000 in ostrava at the time he was interviewed, if that is the case i am sure it has been brought to his attention by now.

another possible option is sometimes countries doing national championships allow guest athletes, defar ran her 29:59 in the british championships and kidane has run the british trials also.

hopefully the ostrava startlist will be out today or tomorrow to see if hasay and erdmann have entered.
      If you saw the video of his comments----it's only about 90 seconds long-----he was talking about setting up the meet in Eugene or Portland....and specifically spoke of "mixed" races.
      Also, this (mixed races, and this meet in general) has been discussed at length in another thread....I believe the USATF women's 10K thread.
      Probably should transfer those comments over here!

My thought is, even if it's "legal"----meaning that the marks would be counted for "A" standard----it's not necessary.
      There must be some women who wouldn't mind running the first 5K in 15:50 or so....as their own training exercise.
      Maybe even Treniere Moser could do that!
      (I'd suggest Mary Cain, but she's too new to 5K distance, and a pacer needs to be steady and reliable, like Phoebe Wright was in the Oxy 1500!)

Comment

Added thought, about Ostrava.

I think Salazar wants a "controlled" pace, and it's a gamble to depend on a World Challenge meet's 10K field to run a "controlled" pace.
        With his own meet, he could find a runner to pace them (Erdman and Hasay) at steady 76's, or whatever.
        Also, why should the 1500 guys and the woman SC'ers, and Cory McGee have to go all over the globe to find races?
        If Salazar does this meet, surely he could find a guy or two to take the 1500 field through in 1:55 or so.
        Ditto with a woman to take McGee (and whomever else might want to run a fast 1500) through in 2:12 or 2:14.
        The steeplechase too.....must be a woman somewhere who could pace Kipp and Higginson through the first 1500 of the race!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk

Also, why should the 1500 guys and the woman SC'ers, and Cory McGee have to go all over the globe to find races?
          because thats where they make their money.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk

because thats where they make their money.
            True!
            But is money the purpose here?
            I thought getting the standard was the purpose.
            If the latter is the case, then a "controlled" meet close to home (Though McGee's in Florida, I believe!) would seem to suit Salazar's (and the runners, of course!) needs the best.

Comment

womens 10000 in sollentuna on thursday featuring meseret defar.

also a mens 10000 with gebrihiwot, gebremeskel and gebremariam. http://www.trackandfield.se/anmalda.aspx?&compID=79

Comment

I don't think the IAAF allows mixed M/F races to get world championships standards

Comment

Originally posted by tm71
                  I don't think the IAAF allows mixed M/F races to get world championships standards
                  Yes, they do. See Daivd Monti's tweet:
                  https://twitter.com/d9monti/status/331826637903630337

I'm sure Salazar checked this out before publicly stating he would setup a mixed gender race.

Comment

the attempt at 10000 for hasay and erdmann will be on july 17th. http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... out_sports

Comment

the attempt at 10000 for hasay and erdmann will be on july 17th. http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... out_sports

kind of last moment, but at least they get some time to recover and train for this.

Comment

It'll be do or die!!
                        Since the deadline for chasing is just 3 days later, this attempt will be IT!!

Worst case scenario:
                        Neither makes the standards they need!

Then who goes??

BTW, make no mistake!! I hope and expect BOTH WILL make it!!

Comment

http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/250797 ... mpionships
                          Chart of who has what at this point

Flanagan spot is sure she has A
                          Hasting in 4th moves up if either Hasay or Erdman fail to get a B
                          If they get an AB combo they both go
                          both get B- Hasay goes as higher placer and Hasting fills the AAB team

10,000m - Women
                          Shalane Flanagan Jordan Hasay Tara Erdmann Amy Hastings
                          Tom Hyland:
                          "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle
                            http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/250797-USA-Outdoor-Track-Field-Championships-2013/article/21211-Team-USA-Qualifiers-from-the-US-Outdoor-TF-Championships
                            Chart of who has what at this point

Flanagan spot is sure she has A
                            Hasting in 4th moves up if either Hasay or Erdman fail to get a B
                            If they get an AB combo they both go
                            both get B- Hasay goes as higher placer and Hasting fills the AAB team

10,000m - Women
                            Shalane Flanagan Jordan Hasay Tara Erdmann Amy Hastings
                            If neither get it then Goucher would also go.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how Hastings and Goucher manage their training and racing over the next several weeks, not knowing if they are racing the 10000 at Worlds or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X