Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotzis results

Hi, live from Gotzis. Final results, these are probably available on other websites too, so just the main stuff:

Men:
    1.Sebrle 8842 (10.92, 7.86, 16.22, 2.09, 48.59= 4536; 14.15, 47.44, 5.00, 71.10, 4:34.09)
    2.Pappas 8732
    3.Karpov 8512, NR, Asian Rec
    4.Nool 8317
    5.Warners (NL) 8301
    6.Lobodin 8240
    7.Dvorak 8211
    8.Terek 8161 (5.40 PV)
    9. Zsivotzky 8126
    10.Martineau (NL) 8082

The key was Sebrle's last JT; Pappas had just regained the lead with a great 64.48 throw, Sebrle threw next and destroyed Pappas' morale. Pappas finished last in the 1500, apparently dispirited.
    Karpov led after 7 events.

Re: Gotzis results

3 others were slower in the 1500 - in the B heat, I guess.

Comment

<<I do feel guilty about abandoning my Flames, but I will wear the flaming C in Gotzis and support the team in spirit.>>

It worked!

Comment

And now the women:

1.Kluft 6820 (13.24, 1.89, 14.20, 23.27 = 4041; 6.72, 45.20, 2:12.21)
        2.Sotherton (GB) 6406
        3.Dobrynska (Ukr) 6387
        4.Prokhorova (Rus) 6354
        5.Simpson (GHA) 6302 NR
        6.Burrell 6272
        7.Skujyte 6233
        8.Strataki (GRE) 6157 NR

Kluft had no competition; Sazanovich DNS; Going into the final 800 event, Simpson and Burrell were 2nd and 3rd, but the Europeans were too strong in the 800 (Prokhorova 2:06,43!)

If there is any demand, I will write again tomorrow and post my impressions of the meet and other observations.

Best regards from Gotzis!

Comment

Yes, I meant Pappas was slowest in A heat, sorry about that.
          Btw Pappas went out like gangbusters in the 400, making up the stagger on Sebrle and others, and then faded badly in the last 100m.

The meet is obviously dependent to a large degree on support from the Austrians. Austria is not a strong T & F nation, and the decathlon was an exception but since Zeilbauer, Werthner and Kellermayr there hasnt been much there either.
          This is why the 8067 in 11 th place by 23-year old Roland Schwarzl is a good sign for the future of the meet!

I'm out.

Comment

"If there is any demand, I will write again tomorrow"

I demand! Would have loved to have been there![yeah, right, like that's gonna happen . . .]

Comment

I doubt if Pappas was dispirited. I imagine he was pretty happy with his performance. He basically lost this meet in the LJ and 400m, and he figures to be able to get those back to 2003 levels by Athens.

Comment

A few more observations:

I wore my Flaming C shirt which caught the eye of a prominent Calgarian: it was fun to tell Michael Smith what I knew about the series. Btw Smith is the alltime "Mr. Gotzis" with 12 participations. Lobodin now has 11. Sabine Braun leads the women with 16!

The fans are the most knowledgeable, enthusiastic and fair I have ever seen.: they cheer for everybody, unlike for example the crowds at the OGs in 1992 and 1996 who were too nationalistic for my liking, and unlike the fans in Edmonton who were fair, but uneducated (e.g. wondering whether the Canadian decathlete finished 1st or 2nd in his heat at the 100m, I tried to tell them it didnt matter, but they didn't understand).

That is why one can put up with some inconveniences like inadequate parking, poor seats (except with the most expensive tickets which were 80 Euros, about 130 Can. Dollars for the 2 days) and long lineups at the washrooms.

I definitely thought Pappas looked dispirited going into the 1500m. He was only 17 points behind and one would think he would tuck in behind Sebrle and see what happens. Instead he immediately fell to the back of the field, 30 m behinf Sebrle and the other leaders and trotted along. But as I said before maybe he was afraid of repeating his 400m experience, where he went out oo fast.

On the stand for the victory ceremonies (the top 15 were called up!), as each athlete was called up he would go down the line high-fiving the others. But when Pappas did this, I noticed that Erki Nool turned away and they didn't high-five. Does anybody know about bad blood between them?

I had wondered how a town of 10,000 can support such a meet. But it's abit like wondering how East Rutherford can support an NFL team: There are about 1 million people within an hour's drive.

To be continued, but at this internet cafe I only get 1/2 hour a day!

Comment

Thanks for the updates!

Comment

And Harris? Did I miss something but there was no mention of him in this thread. A NH in the pole vault AGAIN! He's a great guy, and a great talent (except throwing). What is the problem with the pole vault for him?! Once, even twice, is something, but this is seems a major mental thing with him.

Comment

what's going on with Dan the Man's comeback?

Comment

As to the Gotzis support, it comes from all over. In Stuttgart '93, I had the good fortune to sit very near a guy who is a local and deca nut. (no hep for Hanjurgen, pity). He was impressed with my preprinted forms and decided that is was a kindred soul. He pimped Gotzis for the 8 days of the meet, and we corresponded over the years. He does some deca stats for the German group. He also has access to the press box at Gotzis, which was really nice. He didn't know about the first meet there, but since has missed only once. His brother planned badly, and got married on the day. That would have been a tough choice. In '02, we finally made the pilgrimage. Good time. I'm not sure when I will go next, '06 at earliest, but I do want to see an EC some day, maybe '07. I don't think I can afford Osaka.

Comment

<<On the stand for the victory ceremonies (the top 15 were
                          >called up!), as each athlete was called up he would go down the line
                          >high-fiving the others. But when Pappas did this, I noticed that Erki Nool
                          >turned away and they didn't high-five. Does anybody know about bad blood
                          >between them?>>

Staff just talked to Pappas and his recollection was that he fived everybody. Says there's no bad blood he knows of: "Maybe Erki was just looking the other way or something when I came by to hihg-five him"

Comment

Thanks for the update on Pappas, glad to hear it.

Re Harris: Glad you asked. He was doing very well, then he no-heighted in the PV with three pathetic "attempts" at his opening height of 4.20 (I think that's 14'). It turned out that he was vaulting on a borrowed pole because his had been held back or lost by Austrian custom officials
                            Harris looked totally helpless, poor guy.

He nevertheless completed the decathlon and ended up with 7410; if my math is correct, even a for him mediocre vault of 4,60 (I THINK that's 15'2 but forgive me if I'm mistaken) would have given him 8200 points. A very promising athlete imho. The fans were very appreciative that he finished the competition and gave an honest effort (4:27.22!)

Comment

>And now the women:

1.Kluft 6820 (13.24, 1.89, 14.20, 23.27 = 4041; 6.72,
                              >45.20, 2:12.21)
                              2.Sotherton (GB) 6406
                              3.Dobrynska (Ukr) 6387
                              4.Prokhorova
                              >(Rus) 6354
                              5.Simpson (GHA) 6302 NR
                              6.Burrell 6272
                              7.Skujyte
                              >6233
                              8.Strataki (GRE) 6157 NR

The women are starting to look deep again after a few years of down performances.

Comment

Working...
                              X