Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bekele - 12:37.44 WR!!

>Strange, 12 replies to this WR and not one of them offered the opinion that
    >maybe he was running too fast too soon. Yet, the response to Webb's great race
    >had to add that question to the performance.

Interesting observation and true. I guess maybe there is more confidence in the ability of an athlete who has proven himself for several years to be able to dominate on the world scene to plan his training properly to peak when he needs to, or even hold form for several months.

I am very happy to see Alan doing so well and want it to continue. But, when improvement is so dramatic I wonder what the training is like and how he will hold for a couple more months. We don't know what his plan is, but if he is planning to peak at the OGs how fast will he be then - will he be looking at ARs this year? I don't think Hicham has raced yet - he is only looking at the OGs. El G. is obviously on a different training/racing calendar than Webb.

I did note in my post about the 10k that Geb has lost but is also probably not too concerned as he is looking a couple months down the road before he wants to be really sharp.

Comment

i noticed that.
      >its very sad, but expected.

i guess part of it is that people really want
      >Webb to succeed at a championship or at the olys later on, because apparently
      >that's when it 'matters' or something.

Yes, we do really want him to make the Oly finals. Now he may really have a shot, but only if his training is designed to do so. However, we wouldn't even have been thinking about the possibility of him running in the finals had he not run as fast as he did the previous two races. So, in a way he's damned either way.

I would have to say, even if his season ends with him never running as fast as he did today again. He has proven himself capable again.

But, with each accomplishment the hopes for him go up. And, I'm sure his goals are elevated as well.

By questioning what will occur later in the summer doesn't lessen what he has done. I am just wondering how well he will do. Hopefully he will continue to blow us away.

Comment

It seems to me that he will be concentrating his efforts this year on being in shape to win the 5k at Athens regardless of what the competition throws at him. I can't see him losing barring injury, especially as he isn't doubling. Looks to me like Geb might have trouble winning the 10k though.
        why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

bekele is scheduled to run the 10k at ostrava on june 8th, it will be interesting to see if he can get that record.

Comment

: 57.8 final lap !

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/3764845.stm

He looks about the same size as Haile, http://www.sporting-heroes.net/athletic ... eroID=2558 5'6,115? Where does the energy come from.

Won't double in OG's:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/3562103.stm

Comment

The difference between Bekele and Gebrselassie tonight was astonishing: Bekele ran solo his second half of the race -- kept a faster-than-world-record pace up until the final quarter (again, alone over 2100m), and finished within himself and two seconds ahead of the old WR. Bekele looked focussed, directed and in control of his pace. Gebrselassie looked tired and spent at a much slower pace (granted, the race he ran was twice the distance). The entire crowd (which included a small contingent of Ethiopians) supported all three Ethiopians in their respective events, and did a wonderful job of bringing them around during the athletes respective finishes.

Comment

After running such an out of this world time in the 5000, one has to wonder what kind of testing the meet does. Does the meet piss test, blood, or even test at all...? I would really like to hope that he did it without the use of any drug help, but come on that time is so fast, esp in an OLY year!!!

Comment

>But come on that time is so fast, esp in an OLY year!!!

This race has been conducive to fast times (which has included distance WRs) over the past several years. Bekele went into the race stating he was aiming for the record tonight. Six consecutive cross country titles and a world indoor 5,000m record, and you would imagine the guy:s performance tonight would not be questioned.

OLY year... what better statement to his competitors?

Comment

It was an IAAF GP meet. It therefore had to have doping control. And of course testing on the spot would be automatic for a WR.

Comment

Please share info. about Geb's 10k race. Thanks.

My prediction: Bekele runs 26:14.7 in his 10k record attempt.

Tinman

Comment

Re: Bekele - WR!!

>What about when he get in shape in a few months?

Looks like he is in shape NOW.

Comment

I agree. What will happen in the Olympic Games for the 5km? El G. has plans to double. I think he better think about just doing the 1500m if wants only gold. Tinman

Comment

It will be interesting to see what Hicham El Guerrouj does with his Olympic plans. He pulled out of this meet due to training snafus (weather problems at his base training camp in Morocco had altered his training capabilities). There is no clear-cut 5,000m favorite (IAAF stated Bekele running the 10k in Athens) ... the season is young, and like Olympic years go, anything under the sun can happen from now until the first athlete crosses the finish line in the final.

Comment

maybe there is no clear 5000 favourite yet and i'd probably bet on the Ethiopians anyway......but the winner of Webb's 1500 in 3.33.20 was..Eliud Kipchoge of Kenya..last year's 5000 world champ..who confirms his turn of speed and might well be favourite if Bekele doesn't run

Comment

>There is no clear-cut 5,000m favorite (IAAF stated Bekele running the 10k in
                                >Athens) ...

Bekele's doing the 10? I thought sure he was scheduled in the 5. If he does the 10 - he is the favorite. If he does the 5 - he's the favorite. If he doubles - he's the favorite in both. No doubt.

However, favorites can be beaten. Geb is not done. He was beaten but is just starting his season. He knows how to race championships and is probably not too upset about being an underdog. Sihine has shown the ability to run very fast and not be intimidated. El G. will likely be better than last year, is a great tactician and will be trying to get to the last 600 meters where he can go to work. And while the Kenyans aren't as dominant as in the past, they will be there to keep the rest very honest in their efforts - and like last year, may be able to hang and kick.

But, again, the favorite - currently in a class of his own in the world is Bekele. And this is from a huge Geb fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X