X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And To Think I Admired Seb Coe As A Kid

WHAT WAS I THINKING???

Re: And To Think I Admired Seb Coe As A Kid

did anything inparticular bring this comment on or are you just flipping out for no reason?

Comment

there's a big scandal - the London Mirror has it. All over letsrun and iaaf fora.

Comment

I think he's referring to the article on the home page of this site, in which Seb is accused of a sordid extra-marital affair.

Comment

<accused of a sordid extra-marital affair>

A few of them. He's been busy.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

ah give him a break...he was only following in the very well-oiled tracks of many other Tory MP's ..he probably thought he had to do this to get on in the Party..and who's to say, given his political career and peership, that he was wrong!
            Boys will be Boys is one of the Tory Party's proudest maxims..almost an election slogan

Comment

Becoming a Conservative party MP is a vastly more heinous crime than any affair, no matter how sordid.

Comment

>there's a big scandal - the London Mirror has it.
                I imagine that "Vanessa" has received a tidy sum from The Mirror for telling the tale.

Comment

>I think he's referring to the article on the home page of this site, in which
                  >h Seb is accused of a sordid extra-marital affair.

I didn't think that could be possible(the posting of that article on this board) but there it is.

Comment

"I didn't think that could be possible(the posting of that article on this board) but there it is."

It's just a link to the Mirror story.

Comment

>"I didn't think that could be possible(the posting of that article on this
                      >board) but there it is."

>It's just a link to the Mirror story.

Doesn't change my point.

Comment

We can (or should be able to) separate Seb Coe the athlete from Seb Coe the husband--and continue to admire the first while looking down on the second. It would be wonderful if all great athletes (or those who are great in ANY field: art, philosophy, science, music, etc.) were saints in their everyday life, but it rarely turns out that way. In fact, we seem to get bored by sainthood in today's society--or at least we give virtue a lot less attention than we might. Being a "saint" isn't newsworthy or colorful; being a "sinner" is.

Comment

>>We can (or should be able to) separate Seb Coe the athlete from Seb Coe the husband--and continue to admire the first while looking down on the second. It would be wonderful if all great athletes (or those who are great in ANY field: art, philosophy, science, music, etc.) were saints in their everyday life, but it rarely turns out that way. In fact, we seem to get bored by sainthood in today's society--or at least we give virtue a lot less attention than we might. Being a "saint" isn't newsworthy or colorful; being a "sinner" is. <<

I agree with the former point, but I disagree with the latter. I should note that I became a Coe fan not simply because of his running, but because of what I perceived to be his character/integrity/idealism, what have you. He made the pursuit of excellence seem a noble ambition, as it was for Bannister and others, such as Eric Liddel & Harold Abrahms of Chariots of Fire fame...

I'm never bored with athletes who seem, and who actually _are_ (to the best of my imperfect knowledge), good people---Martina Navratilova, Pete Sampras, Joan Benoit, Zatopek...

Comment

Yes Seb is a complete loser and a failure. If you fail at home, you fail at life . Seb Cole is a sad ,pityful, spineless creature .

Comment

>Yes Seb is a complete loser and a failure. If you fail at home, you fail at
                              >life . Seb Cole is a sad ,pityful, spineless creature .

Whether I agree with the above or not, is Steve Scott (from his own biography, a many year affair even after his wife begged him to stop) any different?

I remember many people making excuses for Scott...will they do the same for Coe?

As Dear Abby says: "Readers?"

Comment

Working...
                              X