Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kim Collins competing for Ireland?

There's a story in the front page news section....just put up.....that says Collins is inquiring about competing for Ireland in Moscow!
    St Kitts people say that if he's successful, they'll wish him the best.

Exit question: Is this the DUMBEST.......or ONE of the dumbest.....moves by a national sports federation...EVER??
    St Kitts most famous athlete....maybe of all time!......being forced to leave his home country....just so he can compete in the WC!!
    Think of all the positive publicity this popular athlete brings to St Kitts!!
    And these dumb asses are just nonchalantly saying "Bye-bye, Best of luck to Ye!"???

If I were them, I'd change the rules.....FAST......and put him on the team.....like YESTERDAY!!!

Re: Kim Collins competing for Ireland?

Did you read the article? How is Collins going to compete for Ireland in Moscow if he is banned from competing at championsships for at least a year after switching?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
      Did you read the article? How is Collins going to compete for Ireland in Moscow if he is banned from competing at championships for at least a year after switching?
      Yes, I read the article....and noted what you said.
      Then why did it sound like he intends to compete THIS year....in Moscow?
      In the first few sentences, it said (paraphrased) that he's exploring the option of competing for another country.....and that Ireland had invited him...and he was considering accepting their offer.
      Only at the end of the article is the new law of the IAAF mentioned!!

So why even "explore".....or "invite"....if the law says NO??

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk
        Originally posted by norunner
        Did you read the article? How is Collins going to compete for Ireland in Moscow if he is banned from competing at championships for at least a year after switching?
        Yes, I read the article....and noted what you said.
        Then why did it sound like he intends to compete THIS year....in Moscow?
        In the first few sentences, it said (paraphrased) that he's exploring the option of competing for another country.....and that Ireland had invited him...and he was considering accepting their offer.
        Only at the end of the article is the new law of the IAAF mentioned!!

So why even "explore".....or "invite"....if the law says NO??
        You can explore the option of a vacation on Mars (doesn't mean you're going to get there), and while doing so you find out there may be obstacles, in Collins case, the obstacle he has yet to discover would be a one year ban.

Comment

IAAF can waive the ineligibility if they wish, per IAAF rules 5.4(d)(ii) and (iii):
          (ii) the period shall be cancelled if the athlete has completed three continuous
          years of Residence in the Country (or Territory) of his new membership
          immediately preceding the International Competition in question;

(iii) the period may be reduced or cancelled in exceptional cases by the Council. An application for a reduction or cancellation must be submitted by the relevant Member in writing to the IAAF Office at least 30 days before the International Competition in question
          Aregawi, for instance, doesn't have to worry about a 1-year ineligibility. The World Champs will start 20 days from now though, and I doubt Collins has lived in Ireland for 3 years, so if these rules are applied strictly it's unlikely he will be in Moscow.

Comment

At least in the Olympics, where the ban after switching NOCs is 3 years, that time can be bypassed with the agreement of the two NOCs. In such a case, $ (or Euros or something) usually change hands to allow the athlete to represent the new NOC as soon as the transaction terms are agreed upon. In Collins' case, it is basically up to St. Kitts/Nevis and Ireland making a deal.

Comment

The Irish National 100m record is a sluggish...10.19...held by Paul Hesson.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                At least in the Olympics, where the ban after switching NOCs is 3 years, that time can be bypassed with the agreement of the two NOCs. In such a case, $ (or Euros or something) usually change hands to allow the athlete to represent the new NOC as soon as the transaction terms are agreed upon. In Collins' case, it is basically up to St. Kitts/Nevis and Ireland making a deal.
                SKN and Ireland making a deal is the way to cut the ineligibility down to only 1 year in the first place. It's not enough to remove it completely.

Comment

He should change his name to Kim Ó Coileáin if he does so.

Comment

Does anybody have a link to the transfer of allegiance rules in general?

They are quite confusing. For example, if an athlete has never represented a country, do they have to sit out? Or what about in Collins' case where he hasn't competed recently?

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                      SKN and Ireland making a deal is the way to cut the ineligibility down to only 1 year in the first place. It's not enough to remove it completely.
                      Maybe you're right but I thought if they agreed he could compete once the nations agreed on the deal.

As to allegiance rules, they differ from sport-to-sport - I know you want the athletics rules - I don't have that. Football (soccer) has a 1 nation for life rule - once you compete for a nation in FIFA matches, you can never change allegiance. Maybe not a bad thing given the athletic diaspora that now happens between every Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoff

They are quite confusing. For example, if an athlete has never represented a country, do they have to sit out? Or what about in Collins' case where he hasn't competed recently?
                        Here are the relevant eligibility rules: http://www.iaaf.org/download/downloa...05%20amendment

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
                          Originally posted by betterthanb4
                          SKNAAA is full of Sh*t. 9.9's 2x a new PB & NR yet he didn't meet their criteria? They are displaying vindictive action towards Collins by keeping him off the team. As for the other SKN athletes it's a shame that they subsequently had to kiss 'bureaucratic butts' in order to compete In Moscow by forking over 20% .
                          They may have just guaranteed that he will go island-hopping before this year is out. Trinidad, Grenada, Barbados, maybe the Caymans perhaps? If he stays healthy for the next 3 years and doesn't get (caught) dirty, he'll likely set a masters' WR (10.29, Troy Douglas, 2003 at age 40) in another country's uniform in Rio, and he might still be fast enough to run on their relay.

If TCU ever has an opening for a sprint coaching job, they will probably look him up; preferably after Rio 2016.

If I were the rest of the St. Kitts team, I'd show solidarity for Kim Collins and call the federation's bluff and stay home, every last one of them. If Kim doesn't go, they all won't go; and if the scabs they want to send in their place also say no, all eyes of the world will turn toward this island, and the federation will have a major embarrassment on their hands, one of their own creation.
                          I knew he'd go island-hopping, but I didn't think he'd go by way of being shot out of a cannon! :mrgreen:

Is there any rule that permits special circumstances when dealing with a federation that is as belligerent or vindictive toward its own athletes as St. Kitts? Can he petition the IAAF to compete as an independent participant? If he can't compete for Ireland now, I see him eventually ending up in Barbados or somewhere else in the Caribbean (other than Jamaica).

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                            Originally posted by dustoff

Here are the relevant eligibility rules: http://www.iaaf.org/download/downloa...05%20amendment
                            I hope he made his case in time under Rule 5.2 (b) (ii). He's cutting it very close between now (or any time during the last week and a half) and the World Champs.

Comment

I don't like this idea that an athlete can compete for any country they want without living there or having any ties to the country.

Comment

Working...
                              X