Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kim Collins competing for Ireland?

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
    SKN and Ireland making a deal is the way to cut the ineligibility down to only 1 year in the first place. It's not enough to remove it completely.
    Given the SK federation's display of belligerence, they are more likely to hang him out to dry than release him.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
      He should change his name to Kim Ó Coileáin if he does so.
      LOL

Man just set his PR at an age when most sprinters have been retired.
      Former WC.
      100m is a little more open this year than last.

It'd be a shame he can't run. I can see a bronze medal for him.

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
        Originally posted by LopenUupunut
        SKN and Ireland making a deal is the way to cut the ineligibility down to only 1 year in the first place. It's not enough to remove it completely.
        Given the SK federation's display of belligerence, they are more likely to hang him out to dry than release him.
        Never know. $ talks.

Comment

Here's the story....

http://m.sknvibes.com/news/newsdetails.cfm/76474

Sounds like speculation to me....

Collins currently lives in Jamaica with his Jamaican wife, so the only country he could represent in terms of residency is Jamaica, and that's highly unlikely.
          My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

What does residency have to do with anything? Tons of athletes represent countries they barely step foot in aside from showing up for national championships for global events. If a country wants to bestow citizenship on someone that's their prerogative and the IOC or IAAF shouldn't be able to say anything about it. It's ridiculous that they make any attempt to govern eligibility through allegiance. If people aren't worried about how much time Jackie Areson spends in Australia why worry about Kim Collins? And when I read the below wiki quote about Jillian Shwartz I wonder how much different it is than Kuwait, Qatar or Turkey?

[Shwartz] came fourth at the 2009 USA Outdoor Championships, but was gifted a place at the 2009 World Championships in Athletics as the reigning US Champion Stuczynski withdrew due to injury.[11] Schwartz vaulted 4.50 m at the championships in Berlin, just missing the qualifying mark by 5 cm.[4] She competed at the Maccabiah Games in Israel that year and won the pole vault gold medal for the United States. Officials approached her about a possible move to compete for Israel and she agreed, seeing it as a better chance to participate at the 2012 London Olympics given the strong competition for a place in the United States.[12] She gained Israeli citizenship and switched nationality in preparation for the 2010 season.

Comment

Originally posted by batonless relay
              If people aren't worried about how much time Jackie Areson spends in Australia why worry about Kim Collins?
              Areson had a pre-existing connection to Australia; she was born to her Australian mother, and she lived in Australia until she moved to the US at 10 years old. That's not nearly the same scenario as a country offering somebody instant citizenship after they've become athletically successful and without requiring any family or residential connection.

Comment

[quote=18.99s]
                Originally posted by "batonless relay":3by6l1jc
                If people aren't worried about how much time Jackie Areson spends in Australia why worry about Kim Collins?
                Areson had a pre-existing connection to Australia; she was born to her Australian mother, and she lived in Australia until she moved to the US at 10 years old. That's not nearly the same scenario as a country offering somebody instant citizenship after they've become athletically successful and without requiring any family or residential connection.[/quote:3by6l1jc]
                That would be a great story EXCEPT for the fact that it's not like Ms. Areson represented AUS before this year. Was she not Australian when she ran for the US in previous years? Or, did she forget she was Australian? She ran for the US at indoor worlds in 2012, got next to last at the 2012 Olympic trials and is "now"Australian? It really doesn't matter to me; I don't care who she competes for and I'm happy that she can run for Australia, I just think it's silly to deny athletes the right to run for countries that want them to run for them. Many people in the US claim they're "Irish" and aside from a few St. Paddy's days, they have no connection to Eire. And, how much time did Zola Budd spend in England before getting citizenship? If the Irish want him, and it's not clear that they do, what difference would it make to anyone who isn't Irish?

Comment

It'd be a travesty if he didn't run and a travesty if he ran for any other country.

Comment

And a travesty if he ran for the SKNAAA.

I think we have a condition here for 'tragedy'.

Comment

All of this because a man visited his wife the night before a race. Unreal.
                      Regards,
                      toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
                        Even prisoners have conjugal rights ...

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
                          Correct me if I have the story wrong, but Jesse Owens withdrew from a post-Olympic meet because his wife was sick and he went home. Then Avery Brundage (who was in charge of the AAU at the time) had the gall to suspend him for life.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
                            He should change his name to Kim Ó Coileáin if he does so.
                            Or Cidhm Ó Coileáin (there is no K in Gaelic, and a fetish for throwing in useless consonants that are not pronounced).

Comment

Working...
                            X