Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-time 5000 list : updated

http://www.algonet.se/~pela2/athletics/m_5000ok.htm

Does todays record time look like a ceiling, at least temporarily? Yeah, I'd say so. It will top '04's list.

Re: All-time 5000 list : updated

You really have to go a looooooong way down that list to find Bob Kennedy's AR.

Comment

Just how dramatically have modern "blood-boosting" techniques changed distance running?

Consider this: Said Aouita's WR of 12:58.39 is about to be bumped out of the **TOP 100** fastest times ever (It's currently number 99)...

Comment

consider that 10 years ago (June 1, 1994) the world best was 12;58.39 and it is now 21+ seconds faster.

in the almost 28 years from 7/66 to 5/94 there was less than 19 seconds (13;16.6 - 12;58.39).

less than 20 seconds in almost 30 years compared to more than 20 seconds in less than ten years.

the period including the 1960s include the transition from cinders to artificial surfaces.

of note is that procrit became widely available in 1993.

Comment

Said would have to follow a tough pace

Even though his times have been blown away,I'd still like Said in major championships. Aouita would have a tough time following at 4:15 [or so] pace, but with his kind of speed,he could could run a blistering last 200m.
          Who knows though, if he had the strength of the current crop. He didn't have to show it in the 80's.

Comment

Re: Said would have to follow a tough pace

Even though his times have been blown away,I'd still like Said in major championships. Aouita would have a tough time following at 4:15 [or so] pace, but with his kind of speed,he could could run a blistering last 200m.<<

The current WR for [email protected]:03 per mile

Who knows though, if he had the strength of the current crop. He didn't have to show it in the 80's. <<

Not true. He was pushed to the limit multiple times, including his several attempts on Rono's 3000 WR, which finally ended in his 7:29WR...

Comment

> Does todays record
              >time look like a ceiling, at least temporarily? Yeah, I'd say so.

Maybe I'm just missing out on exact meanings, but is not a record by definition at least a temporary time ceiling?

As for this time topping the 04 lists, the only person I'd say who has a shot at breaking it would be Bekele himself (El G might be able to do low 12:40s, but not the record).

Comment

Working...
              X