Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Myers Stadium at Texas

Is it built on top of a parking garage? I thought I had read that somewhere. Surely not.

Re: Mike Myers Stadium at Texas

No. The visitor side stands back up against the parking garage. Actually, you can step off the top floor of the garage onto the top row of the stands...except during the TX Relays when they have security up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
      No. The visitor side stands back up against the parking garage. Actually, you can step off the top floor of the garage onto the top row of the stands...except during the TX Relays when they have security up there.
      OK, I guess that's what I read. Now I need to go around the internet and correct myself 1000 times -- again!

Comment

I love Mike Myers Stadium.One of the best views of downtown Austin and the State Capitol building and blazing fast running & track and field competition.
        "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by fourjz
          I love Mike Myers Stadium.One of the best views of downtown Austin and the State Capitol building and blazing fast running & track and field competition.

Ditto!

Comment

Next year will be the 63rd anniversary of my first attendance as athlete or official at the Texas Relays. I missed some in the 1950s-60s while off living life but am working on a 30 year officiating streak.

Mike Meyers stadium is, imo, one of the best competition venues in the USA. The downtown view is a bonus.

There was a certain ambiance inside Memorial Stadium. It was really gratifying to have 40 K in the stands for the Texas HS Champs but, truth be told, it was a terrible competition venue.
            The downhill long throws were across a creek west of the stadium where dormitories now stand.
            The two LJ/TJ runways across the south end ,into a double wide pit (which I abhor), were too short and the runout was into the only SP landing area. Two seldom used pits used Lane 8 of the track as runway. One of them dead ended into a chain link fence at the end of the pit. The other you jumped between heats of the 220.
            It was a horrible place for a track meet.. and we loved it.

Comment

Are there any big college stadiums left with regulation tracks in them? Texas, Ohio State, Stanford, Washington, Illinois, USC (LA Coliseum), come immediately to mind as places that used to have tracks (I've seen track meets in every one of them), but don't anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                Are there any big college stadiums left with regulation tracks in them? Texas, Ohio State, Stanford, Washington, Illinois, USC (LA Coliseum), come immediately to mind as places that used to have tracks (I've seen track meets in every one of them), but don't anymore.
                Kansas and Duke are the only BCS schools that come to mind with tracks in the main stadiums at this point. Both are in the process of being removed (or the plan is to do so).

Comment

"recent" NCAA hosts Drake, Sac State, Boise State and Buffalo still have tracks in the football stadium.

Comment

Go Drake, go Bulldogs.

Comment

Eastern Michigan...and it could easily be adapted to grow from 30,200 capacity.

North Carolina A&T at 21K, could go bigger.

Comment

Norfolk State is similiar to NC A&T and EMU in size. They hosted AAU in the last decade, in their football stadium.
                        The biggest stadium with a track might be Cal's (football has not played there since the 50's or 60's).

Comment

Cal's Edwards Field was built in 1932 as a track-only stadium. Cal's football field, Memorial Stadium, was built some time in the '20s.

Pretty sure Edwards has never been configured for football.

Comment

The new UT Athletics master plan released yesterday has some improvements for Mike A. Myers stadium: soccer will move to its own facility making the stadium a dedicated track facility, addition of more concession and restroom facilities, add suites to the west side of the stadium, improved audio/visual/wifi technology, renovated team facilities.

Comment

Finally , the great Canadian comedic genius receives the honor and acclaim he deserves from the track and field world !!

Comment

Working...
                              X