Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mo in Pre?

Why did Mo Greene say words to the effect of "still don't know if they'll let me into the Pre meet"? in his post-race interview?

Re: Mo in Pre?

Maybe I'm reading the whole comment entirely wrong, but I take it as another jab at the Conte crowd, and another verbal affirmation statement of his dominance in the 100.

Mo is as much involved in a propaganda campaign to make his opponents convinced they can't beat him as he is involved in making political statements.

I think he's probably a pretty straightforward thinker. As in: "Here's who I am, and what are you going to do about it?"

Comment

>Why did Mo Greene say words to the effect of "still don't know if they'll let me into the Pre meet"? in his post-race interview?<

I don't know the answer, but let me guess. Pre is a Nike-sponsored meet. Mo used to be with Nike but switched to adidas a few years ago.

Comment

Let me make this crystal clear: MO HAS BEEN OFFERED A START POSITION IN THE PREFONTAINE CLASSIC 100 METERS AND THE LANE HAS BEEN HELD FOR HIM FOR THE PAST TWO MONTHS!! So why is he not yet confirmed for the meet? Most of you are bright people; I'm $ure you can figure out the rea$on$.

Tom Jordan
        Meet Director
        Prefontaine Classic

Comment

I'll have to admit, Tom, I'm not one of the bright ones.

Fill in the blanks for me, willya?

Comment

>I'll have to admit, Tom, I'm not one of the bright ones.

Fill in the blanks
            >for me, willya?

guessing from the $ for S's he means appearance fee negotations.

Comment

Oh, and Tom...

You can take this on good authority. A number of years ago a past-her-prime Mary Decker-$laney was being wooed as a signature entrant in a meet called the Heartland Hu$tle.

The event organizers eventually gave up on her demands, which I will not elaborate here. But I think you understand.

But your stakes are different. You will have a nationally televised event with the possibility of the reigning Olympic gold medalist breaking the world record in the 100, right there in your house.

It seems like the $takes aren't quite the same. Wouldn't you agree?

Comment

To Mr. Jordan: Thank you for clarifying this for us. The perception that there was a Nike vs. Adidas situation in terms of allowing athletes into the meet was the question, and you've addressed it regarding Mo. Good luck with the meet -- it's the highlight of the track calendar in the U.S.!

Comment

intersting nike-adidas news...

hasn't germany become a nike client too!!

Herr Dassler must be turning over in his grave!!

Comment

Mo's disingenuous statement underscores the true nature of $$ in track. I don't begrudge him top dollar to ply his trade, but he needs to keep in mind that it's the fans that pay him, and we won't be happy campers if he sits this one out because he can't squeeze every penny out of tj. On the other hand, I assume tj is not lowballing him, just because he knows Mo wants the exposure. I'm sure tj doesn't want the negotiations to be splashed across the newspaper (or heaven forbid, this board), but hopefully this can be worked out pronto.

Comment

In a previous negotiation (not this one) I was privy to the various conditions that were demanded by the athlete who the event organizers were trying to woo into the field, for exposure purposes.

The document from this athlete's agent ran two-plus single-spaced pages, with maybe 20 or more conditions that the agent said were non-negotiable.

Among the conditions was an extremely lucrative appearance fee; chauffeured limousine service at all times during the duration of the athlete's stay; 24 hour courtesy room service, all incidental expenses paid for by the event; private personal dressing quarters at the site of the event; guaranteed minimum autograph fee; all transportation to and from the event paid for by the meet, etc.

To me, it was an unbelievable exhibition of runaway narcissism, and I wouldn't have even considered those demands. Neither did the promoters of that race, from what I was told.

Comment

Greene's probably milking it for as long as it lasts. Who knows when his $100,000 days are over? Better get it while he can. Jobs like this don't come around too often...

Comment

I totally agree, Hulk.

It's not like he's over the hill or anything. He could break the WR on any given day, and if someone doesn't have him in their field when that happens, they aren't going to be very happy.

Nothing promotes a meet like a world record. And I'm sure that Mo understands that completely.

Comment

Just curious on how the finances for appearance fees work in Europe vs. the US...

Let's say you're worth $10,000 a meet in Europe where meets make a profit and the sport has a nice size fan base...what's the equivalent value of that athlete at a US meet that may break even and where the sport has a small fan base...$500 & a free oil change at Jiffy Lube?

Comment

Working...
                            X