Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Views on TFN

Hello I'm new, thinking about subscribing to TFN, and I'm wondering if you feel the subscription price is justified for the content of the mag. Much of the results info can be found online and I've noticed they don't do a lot of interviews or profiles ob the runners themselves.(at least in the issue I saw) Where is the happy medium for a runner who loves the stats but wants more insight or flat out more personality out of a running magazine? (pleeease don't suggest RW!) I certainly want magazines such as this one to thrive but is this one worth the price?

What are your opinions?

Re: Views on TFN

Yes. It's that simple.

(GH: Do I qualify for a free subscription?)

Comment

You can't get the in-depth results on-line, I don't believe. T&FN also has the best track writing anywhere IMO. The site here gives you the opening paragraph, but that's it.

What a strange question. I wouldn't guess any track fan would say that T&FN is not a good value.

Comment

Remember that when you subscribe, you can get the results newsletter emailed to you, at no extra cost. This is money well spent.

Comment

>Much of the
          >results info can be found online and I've noticed they don't do a lot of
          >interviews or profiles of the runners themselves.(at least in the issue I saw)

Then look at some more issues. T&FN has definitely been focusing harder on doing individual athlete interviews and feature articles.

As for online results, remember that with your subscription, you can sign up for their weekly e-Track Newsletter for free. There is no other results service that even comes close. Usually anywhere from 5 to 15 pages crammed with results, sent in a pdf format. I print it out every week and study it intently, especially because they highlight particularly good marks and often include footnotes that explain their importance.

I hope that helps, but you're not likely to get a balanced view of T&FN on this board -- we're all pretty rabidly devoted to the mag.
          "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

OK, allow us to sell you (and all other loyal Board contributors) on it. I'll have the webmeister put up an URL where you can download a free PDF of this week's newsletter, which has not just the Regionals results, but also bold-facing of aall the nationals-Q declarers.

Comment

Subscribe early and often!

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/assets ... 004_20.pdf

Comment

to balance out the understandably pro tfn crowd:

i've gotten an issue or two each year for the past 6 years... it's alright. no more, no less.

i learn and enjoy much more by reading forums like this one, and by following the trails of links provided. i think this forum is tfn's real contribution.

Comment

While you can get all the results on the net, there's tons of news items and analysis (projections) which tie everything together.

With the advent of instant results, the magazine has offered more insight into athletes.

So even if you know all the results, T&F news is still a great read.

Comment

>I certainly want magazines such as this one to thrive but is this
                    >one worth the price? >>

Yes.

Comment

<<i learn
                      >and enjoy much more by reading forums like this one, and by following the
                      >trails of links provided. i think this forum is tfn's real contribution.>>

Well I may not know anything about economics but it strikes me that if enough people choose to not buy the product then the free shit that goes with it will eventually disappear.

Comment

It's my understanding the real revenue product is the tours t&f news does......

Comment

You are not a real fan unless you COLLECT every issue and go back to old ones while doing a little 'research' very now and then. Web-sites come and go, but my 35 years of T&FN sit right there in my bookcase, and I do go back and pull them out when I want to remind myself of something I had read before. It's not just the lists or results; it's the accumulated lore of THE sport.

Comment

Amen to that.

Comment

Yes. TFN has over a half century's experience collecting and recapping results from its network. The subscription gets you those results, culled for the decent marks, in the eTN electronic track newsletter. This compares to, say, going to Trackshark and clicking on umpteen weekly meets and then clicking umpteen events at each of those umpteen meets. Plus TFN tells you when a mark is the collegiate leader for the year, the third best American mark ever, or whatever. The other thing eTN saves you from having to do is to get on the Internet and find those lesser foreign meets and translate and/or negotiate the associated websites, if there even are any websites. Unless you're just teeming with diverse foreign-language capabilities.

The meet summaries, interviews, and so forth remain good even in the Internet age, although now of course they're supplemented by Trackshark, FastWomen.com, Runner's World online, Google searches for news articles, and so forth. The magazine also has ads for books, and for statistical-info stuff that you can't get anywhere online (for instance, TFN's Big Green Book with metric/imperial tables and decathlon-heptathlon scoring tables).

Comment

Working...
                              X