• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• br
    replied
    Re: Rupp In Bowerman Mile at Pre Classic

>Rupp's 13:55 was basically a solo effort - I
    >believe he can run a bit under 13:40 in the right race.

Yeah, but in which race. There aren't that many opportunities left before the trials. And since he is in the Pre Mile, what's left?

Leave a comment:

• Johnny Walker Red
    replied

Rupp showed he was capable of sub 4 when he ran his 4:01 - going out in about 63 for the first lap. He seems capable of 3:57 - 3:58. It's unreal how jaded some guys are. Everyone was dying for a sub 4 for decades. Then Webb did what he did, and now Rupp and Salazer catch heat for giving the kid a shot at a sub 4. A kid who has a shot at becoming the third fastest prep ever at the mile behind Webb and Ryun. This can only help him as he gears up to assault Lindgren's sacrosanct 5k mark. Rupp's 13:55 was basically a solo effort - I believe he can run a bit under 13:40 in the right race.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

My guess: Rupp will run 3.58,4 in the Bowerman Mile. AW or not, 3.--something is excellent for a high school young man.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

>>>A 13:42 would be more be exciting than a 3:59.<

And it would put him
    >only
    >about a lap behind Bekele. Very exciting.

Or 100m behind El Guerrouj.
    >No winners here, it seems.

One step at a time guys. We have to crawl before we can walk. A prep 3:59 followed by a 13:42 would be fantastic and I think its a great idea to run the mile at Pre.

No, an 18 year old kid isn't going to be running with the greatest distance runner in the world or the greatest middle distance runner in the world. But, a couple h.s. prodigys from '01 are starting to move things up in the US. Hitting these marks is no guarantee but it does bode will for the future progress of US distance running.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>>A 13:42 would be more be exciting than a 3:59.<

And it would put him only
    >about a lap behind Bekele. Very exciting.

Or 100m behind El Guerrouj. No winners here, it seems.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>Cyril, I assume the Chapa you are referring to is Joaquin. This is Rudys' son
    >and yes he did go to high school in Oregon and is currently a freshman at UO.

Joaquin Chapa is a freshman at Stanford. Bio: http://gostanford.collegesports.com/spo ... uin00.html

Leave a comment:

• BBCAC
    replied

Cyril, I assume the Chapa you are referring to is Joaquin. This is Rudys' son and yes he did go to high school in Oregon and is currently a freshman at UO.

Leave a comment:

• KeepMoving
    replied

>A 13:42 would be more be exciting than a 3:59.<

And it would put him only about a lap behind Bekele. Very exciting.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut21
    replied

>
    That third guy's name has always escaped me (I could go dig it up
    >in an old Runner's World, but...). Anyone?

The third guy was Tim Keough, who improved from 9:21.0 to 8:52.8 over a two week period.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

>And for those who don't remember, Chapa's HS (Hammond?) had that incredible year with 3 (yes 3) guys under 9:00 for 2 miles. How many decades will pass before that ever happens (in the US) again?

This does not qualify, but CA Jesuit had three under 9.00 over two years:

1986-1987

8:44.95 Eric Mastalir 86 state champ
    8:51.99 Mark Mastalir 86 state 1600m champ
    8:53.98 Paul Thomas 87 state champ; 1600m 2nd

And a fourth under in the fourth year:

8:58.09 David Welsh 89 state champ

Leave a comment:

• pickle47
    replied

Yes, Rudy Chapa went to HS in Hammond, Indiana. One of the other two guys was Carey Pinkowski, if I'm not mistaken the Chicago Marathon race director.

That third guy's name has always escaped me (I could go dig it up in an old Runner's World, but...). Anyone?

Leave a comment:

• G.Ahearn
    replied

The article doesn't say why Rupp has switched from the 5k to the mile at the Pre, which seemed odd. I can only guess it's because El G and other world class milers might not be competing at this meet and Tom Jordan needed to make the Bowerman mile more exciting. Personally, I wish Rupp was in the 5k. A 13:42 would be more be exciting than a 3:59.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied

>Galen Rupp has been labeled as the best runner from Oregon since Pre, but the
    >past 10 years have produced many notable distance runners from the state of
    >Oregon.

Grant Robison
    Ian Dobson
    Bryan Berryhill
    Dan Brown
    Michael
    >Mcgrath
    Lauren Jespersen
    Eric Logsdon
    Jacob Gomez
    Noel Paulson
    Jeremy
    >Park.....

Just to name a few.>>

I assume the comment is limited to HS careers. Rupp has outdistanced that list as a HSer.

Leave a comment:

• who-runnin'
    replied

Galen Rupp has been labeled as the best runner from Oregon since Pre, but the past 10 years have produced many notable distance runners from the state of Oregon.

Grant Robison
    Ian Dobson
    Bryan Berryhill
    Dan Brown
    Michael Mcgrath
    Lauren Jespersen
    Eric Logsdon
    Jacob Gomez
    Noel Paulson
    Jeremy Park.....

Just to name a few.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

And for those who don't remember, Chapa's HS (Hammond?) had that incredible year with 3 (yes 3) guys under 9:00 for 2 miles. How many decades will pass before that ever happens (in the US) again?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X