X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trackstar
    replied
    Re: Welcome to Austin!

I happen to know some T&FN bigwigs are staying at the San Jose Motel on South Congress. The Continental Club is right across the street, and is one of the best nightclubs in the universe if you like roots/blues/rockabilly/country type stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Murphy
    replied

> In addition to being the "Live Music Capital of the World," ...<

That ain't no lie--saw two great groups last night and there's still five days to go (and a track meet)!

Texas coach Jason Vigilante arranged a little gathering for coaches and friends at a campus coffeshop and hired his favorite band (and one of Austin's best), "The Damnations" (http://www.musicaustin.com/alternative/ ... onstx.html), to play for the group.

Then it was on to Friends on 6th Street to see one of the greatest blues guitarists I've ever seen--and he's only 22! His name is Eric Tessmer and he was so good that you could close your eyes and swear that Hendrix had risen from his grave. He's in town all week:
    06.09 Wed Agave - 10pm-1am - 415 E. 6th St
    06.10 Thu Headhunter's - 9.30-11.30pm - 720 Red River St
    06.10 Thu MoMo's - 12.30pm - 618 W. 6th St, above Katz's
    06.12 Sat Rockstars - 8-11pm - 418 E. 6th St
    http://www.erictessmerband.com/

The best part of the 6th Street scene is that it's right around the corner from my hotel! (I may never make it to the meet)

Leave a comment:

• BCBaroo
    replied

I just decided to go at the last minute. If anyone's curious, I booked a hotel room on Priceline for saturday night...I paid 65 dollars and got a the doubletree hotel in downtown...which lists for 165 a night on Orbitz...

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

>Have you mentioned the bats?

Well, no one watching the meet will get to see them, but if you're arriving Tuesday or will still be in town Sunday evening: Go to the Congress Avenue Bridge around sundown (you can park in the Austin American-Statesman lot south of the river), and you can watch North America's largest urban bat colony (1.5 million of them) leave their home underneath the bridge and head out to catch some critters for dinner. It's an awe-inspiring sight: literally, clouds of bats. Full info: http://www.batcon.org/discover/congress.html

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

>Given the hour at which the meet ends each night, perhaps the most helpful bit
    >of info would be decent places to eat that are open late.

Okay: walking distance from the stadium, go north up I-35 about six blocks to the Star Seeds Cafe (it's near the intersection of I-35 and 32nd street). Open 24-7.

On the other side of the UT campus (Myers is on the east edge, so head west), try Kerby Lane Cafe (on Guadalupe, in between 26th and 27th). Also a 24-7.

Leave a comment:

• Kuykendall
    replied

Tuesday, 9:30 a.m. It rained all last night and is raining hard right now. If we're lucky, this will clear off at some point and the track will be OK for the sprints but the temps more reasonable than usual for the distances. If we're unlucky, a low front will sit on top of Austin as sometimes happens for days at a time, accompanied by repeated flood warnings. The Friday and Saturday forecasts are for clearer weather than Wednesday and Thursday. But bring rain gear as well as the usual sun screen.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Lee, you are the man! You are definitely in the right line of work!

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Have you mentioned the bats?

Leave a comment:

• ycn
    replied

Lee, if you think Austin is bad for allergies, you haven't been in eastern Oklahoma during mold/dust/pollination season.

Nothing in Austin even comes close to comparing to that.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Given the hour at which the meet ends each night, perhaps the most helpful bit of info would be decent places to eat that are open late.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

One more bit of culinary advice: It just occurred to me that the most useful info might be eateries within walking distance of the stadium.

Here is a map of the stadium area: http://www.utexas.edu/maps/main/buildings/mms.html. "MMS" is Mike Myers Stadium.

If you get on Robert Dedman Drive and walk north a couple of blocks (past the LBJ Library complex), you'll come to Dean Keeton Street. Cross it, and Dedman turns into Medical Arts Street. Immediately across Dean Keeton, on the right, is Longhorn Po-Boys and Falafel, in the little strip center. As the name implies, it is a mix of standard American sandwiches and Mediterranean/Middle Eastern stuff, like gyros. Very yummy. About one more block north of that, on the left, is Red River Cafe. Standard diner food, not too spectacular, but good enough.

Go over to Interstate 35 and Dean Keeton, on the NW corner, and you'll find Arredondo's AusTexMex Cafe, which has classic Tex-Mex. Highly recommended: the carne guisada tacos. Also recommended, esp. for breakfast: migas. This dish, a regional fave, is eggs scrambled with tortilla strips, tomatoes, cheese, onions, and peppers. Awesome, especially if you add in chorizo sausage, and especially if you drank too many margaritas last night.

East of the stadium: Take Clyde Littlefield Drive across the interstate, which will become Manor Road, which about three or four blocks down will merge into 26th Street (which is the same thing as Dean Keeton Street). There you'll find a little cluster of restaurants, including Hoover's (AWESOME Southern cooking), Mi Madre's (more classic TexMex) and the Eastside Cafe (a very elegant cafe that almost rises to the level of "fine dining." They grow their own veggies in their organic garden out back).

Looking south of the stadium, Scholz Garten is a classic German beer garden that has been in operation since the 1800s. Good beer under beautiful pecan trees, and I think you can still get a good plate of nachos or a chicken fried steak or burger there. Famous hangout for Texas politicians. To get there, go to the other side of the football stadium to San Jacinto Blvd., and walk about five blocks south to 1607 San Jacinto.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

More travel advice: Don't forget your allergy medications. In addition to being the "Live Music Capital of the World," we are also the Evil Allergen Capital. Molds are particularly bad right now. I'm dying today.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

My buddy definitely ain't no hammer thrower. Skinny, geeky distance runner like me. (Well, actually neither of us are too skinny these days.)

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

Ken Flax was a member of two US Olympic teams (1988 and 1992) in the hammer throw.

Leave a comment:

• HOOKONAUSTIN
    replied

I would advise anyone coming too be sure too get your Hotel room early... Texas #1 ranked baseball team will be hosting a super regional next weekend and i also think the state high school baseball championships maybe next weekend also.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X