• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basehead617
    replied
    Re: Re:

As for TV coverage, it
    >might be time to embrace the fact that there is nothing you can do to track to
    >make a lardass care. The ability to run 4:07 pace for 3.1 miles or 400 meters
    >with barriers in under 47 seconds is just so far beyond the ability of the
    >average TV watcher to comprehend that they will never tune in,

i don't know.. it's no more beyond their ability than what the athletes in the NBA and NFL can do. and just as many people were involved in track in their younger days as were involved in basketball and football.. i don't think this really has anything to do with it.

there's another thread somewhere in which this was deeply gone through.. i agreed with the folks that said it seems that team sports are just more appealing to the average person. there are a million other factors for the disparities but this seems to be the case.

for some reason, in the olympics, solo sports that people could care less about in other years, suddenly cause lots of excitement (swimming, gymnastics, t&f, figure skating) - and i can only think it has to do with people considering themselves on the same 'team' as those athletes from their respective countries, and the typical us vs them attitude shining through..

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    Re: Re:

boswell is a baseball geek...

as to sports ebbing and flowing within cultures, need we recollect the history of the nfl or nba to comprehend to ever changing evolution of sport within cultures...

I do suspect the face of sport continues to change over the generations...

need we examine nascar or the growing appeal of soccer, eys soccer, just look at the uinder 30 crowd and examine it's appeal...

t&f has a major lack of presence in the media.

That's problem #1...

Some how getting t&f on TV is a significant step.

How is this going to happen, well, with the proliferation of cable, some day, ALL t&f will be accessible.

Then linking this accessibility to a younger generation will be critical.

Just recall the mantra, all existence is change.

then await the day t&f is king.

Leave a comment:

• 400ih
    replied
    Re:

I've only been reading this board for a few weeks now and often people bemoan the fate of our sport. To be honest, I really don't care if the average coach potato watches the coverage on NBC and gets into it. The fan base that we have in track, and I mean the real fan, the sit in the stands and get cooked by the sun to watch the prelims in the shot put fans, are fantastic and thrilled with the sport. There is something about the simple battle against the guy or girl next to you or gravity of the clock that really stirs something in us. You can't tackle someone in track, the only way to beat them is to make yourself hurt more. That's what it's all about! Has anyone else noticed that the average baseball fan couldn't give a crap if players are on drugs but the average track fan is mortified that a track athlete is?

As for TV coverage, it might be time to embrace the fact that there is nothing you can do to track to make a lardass care. The ability to run 4:07 pace for 3.1 miles or 400 meters with barriers in under 47 seconds is just so far beyond the ability of the average TV watcher to comprehend that they will never tune in, no matter how many stupid human interest stories or asinine USA vs the World showcases are on. The better bet is to put on quality meets that appeal to the base of fans that already loves track and would rather see the two 400H races at the Home Depot meet than more recapping of the BALCO deal or other wastes of time. OLN's coverage of cycling is a good example. They have fantastic announcers (you think it's hard filling the space between races? Ask Phil Ligget how hard it is to keep a 200Km bike race interesting, yet somehow he pulls it off) I would kill to have OLN cover a bunch of meets with the same care and ability as they do pro cycling. Could you imagine if they had a "meet of the week" like they have "race of the week?"

Leave a comment:

• basehead617
    replied
    Re:

i think the fact that he doesnt even mention track shows exactly where it stands =)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic "Hockey On Verge Of Collapse?"

"Hockey On Verge Of Collapse?"

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5124297/

What does this have to do with track? As I read the story (by Thomas Boswell of the Washington Post, who writes up a storm), I was wondering, sadly, if you could replace "hockey" with "track" here:

<<..."Major" is a vague but invaluable distinction conferred in the public mind. Some sports, some events, are major. Some aren't. There's no election, no referendum. Nobody calls to tell you on the day you move from one category to the other. But, over time, it happens. And for years hockey has been slipping back toward "minor." In its most recent TV contract, the NHL accepted terms that were comparable to the Arena Football League.

Once a major sport falls back into the pack of wannabes, it never recovers. Once, prize fighting and horse racing were huge national sports, far bigger than hockey has ever dreamed of being. Does hockey understand that if it shrinks in popularity as much as boxing and horse racing that it will not just be small, it will almost be invisible? Can you say, bowling? Actually, that would be an insult to bowling with its large participant base...>
Working...
X