X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pego
    replied
    Re: Re: Hockey Night?

The National Dice League? This reminds me of an add I saw some years ago promoting the Society of Homosexual Beekeepers.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Just looking at the standings:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/20 ... 67494.html

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

>T&F will always be a minority preference, like cognac and Henry James.

Or Zin and Neal Stephenson. This seems to be bring back old threads day! I guess that's what happens in the lull between outdoor/indoor seasons. I haven't checked the history channel yet, but I suspect that the iPOD is vibrant.

Leave a comment:

• Hulk
    replied

Talking Heads said that? I thought they broke up in 1991. Are they planning a come-back?

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Talking heads are saying that Gretzky might go behind the bench-can't see it.

Leave a comment:

• twittering debutante
    replied

The last time I was following hockey, Ken Wharren, Doug Mohn, Eric Nesterenko, Pierre Polite, and Glenn Hall were playing for the Blackhawks.

Leave a comment:

• George P.
    replied

T&F will always be a minority preference, like cognac and Henry James.

Leave a comment:

• RMc
    replied
    Re: Re: Track and TV

>In Golf they are breaking
    >down Tiger Woods swing, while in track our
    >announcer's are trying to get some
    >average joe to comprehend how long
    >1,500meters is. Can you even imagine a golf
    >anouncer for some PGA event
    >saying "This hole is about 3 and a half football
    >fields long." It's
    >absurd.

I completely agree with you, though I think some people (obviously
    >the producers included) feel that whats happening onscreen is not clear enough
    >to a large enough percentage of people who might pass by it, that they can
    >just get into a jargon or minutiae filled broadcast. I think they dumb it
    >down to try to bring in more fans, but it makes the programs really insulting
    >to the fans, i agree. It's a hard balance to achieve. The fact that people
    >always use 'football field' as a unit of measure, is disturbing, and i guess
    >it shows how thoroughly the sport is ingrained into our culture.

I've made this point several times in other threads, and it's alluded to above in mentioning OLN. Somehow OLN manages to produce several hours of captivating commentary on an event in which almost nothing of note happens until the last 5 minutes. The OLN commentators rarely dumb down for viewers, most of whom are as knowledgable as me, which is to say a whole lot less than about football or baseball or one of the other "majors." Watching the Olympics, the gymnastics and swimming broadcasts included substantial technical analysis, despite being part of the Big 3 as the traditional centerpieces of the spectacle.

On the other hand, I think track is a victim of its own status as the premier Olympic sport. I think that NBC believes that the most basic sports fan watches that meet and thus needs the most hand holding. Unfortunately, that attitude carries over to all of the other broadcasts.

Leave a comment:

• RMc
    replied

>Right now the game is on and I
    >could literally run down my street without
    >t clothing and not a soul would notice
    >because it's hockey night in Canada.
    >Just thought I'd share that.

And, just for the record, it was a heck of a
    >game. Double overtime and now it is going to a 7th game.

What game was on?

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Re: Hockey

European hockey leagues are signing NHL players right and left. Their gain, North America's loss.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Hockey

>I know it could happen, the collapse of hockey. Right now the game is on and I could literally run down my street without clothing and not a soul would notice because it's hockey night in Canada.<

Don't try that tomorrow.

Interesting piece in today's NYTimes on how Canada is coping without the NHL.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/15/sport ... oref=login

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Sussex
    replied
    Re: TF on the verge of collapse

Over the last couple of years Athletics coverage in the UK has plummeted.Mainstream Tv covers very little,with none of the Grand Prix meetings featured.The only way to follow the sport now is on Satellite on Eurosport.

Leave a comment:

• Norm Balke
    replied
    Re: TF on the verge of collapse

Here we go again!

Random thoughts:
    1. I agree that TF does not need to be a major, but we do have to make some noise in order to keep afloat! "The squeaky wheel gets the oil", "No bucks, no Buck Rogers".

2. We need more scored meets. Every year this happens: "So how did you do at the track meet last night?" "Well, you see, it wasn't scored, and...." Other person gets glassy-eyed, wants to move on to another subject. Old timers remember A LOT more scored meets when TF had a higher profile.

3. Get off the uniforms thing. The human body is the human body. If you want wear something that will make you feel fast, do it. If you wear a ridiculous uniform and get beat, well then you are quite the fool, but it's your right.

4. Most meets are waay too long. I and most other TF fans don't mind it, but we do have gather a few casual observers to help the sport along.

enough ranting for now.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied
    Re: Re:

Right now the game is on and I
    >could literally run down my street without clothing and not a soul would notice
    >because it's hockey night in Canada. Just thought I'd share that.

And, just for the record, it was a heck of a game. Double overtime and now it is going to a 7th game.

Leave a comment:

• Friar
    replied
    Re: Re:

Once the NHL players realize that they are goingto be paid in hundreds of thousands rather than millions, the sport will be fine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X