Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webb next 1500

Webb is one of the hombres listed in the 1500 in Seville June 5, rather than the 800. Thought he was going in the 800 --

This is according to T&F's home-page link to the meet website.

Re: Webb next 1500

If this is so it is a bit disappointing. I too thought he was to run an 8. I think going into a couple of 8s would help. However, El G. seems to get along pretty well without running 800s (and Steve Scott didn't run too many either) so maybe its o.k. Really specialize in the distance, play around with different strategies etc. Since this is the first year he has to really learn how to race maybe getting as many 15s/miles under his belt is the smart thing to do. I would just like to see that speed back - but proper training can do that probably even better than racing a couple 800s.

Comment

My guess is that with the 3,5 weeks Alan Webb has between his final race and the USA OT, he will do a lot of speed-oriented workouts which will gear him up for different shifting and closing strategies.

Comment

Epelle-

You're probably right. But, if he sets up a peak for the trials (he really doesn't need it), what do you think he will be doing after the trials?

His season is going to be so protracted that I just hope he isn't fried for the big show.

Look at the middle distance guys who know they are going to be contenders in Athens - they have raced maybe once, Krum and El. G. have yet to step on the track. I wonder if A.W. & co. thought he would be in the position he's in so early. The origninal plan may have called for a trials peak and then - "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it". Now that making the team seems like almost a sure thing they may need to reevaluate the plans.

Comment

Anyone have any idea as to whether or not the race will have a rabbit? Probably a stupid question, as it seems that every race on the circuit is rabbited these days.

Webb may be shooting for another PR, or it's possible he and his coach are more worried about tactics and sharpening. Either way, it will be interesting. Webb has to be growing in confidence. Not counting the races he's used as workouts, like the 800/1500 double from about a month ago, Webb has really run only two races this season, Home Depot and last week's 3:33.7 that pretty much shut up the anti-Webb crowd. Oh, they'll be back when/if he has a bad race. Everyone has a bad run here and there, but Webb has had a target on his back ever since he took down Ryun's HS mark and made scores of wannabes across the US jealous.

After his 3:35 I felt that he might have a 3:32 in him this season. Maybe I was a tad conservative. He might have 3:31 in those legs. If he makes the Oly team - nothing is for sure in track - and is able to survive multiple rounds in Athens without his legs turning to stone, he may put on quite an (unexpected for many) respectful showing.

This is off the beam, but how old do some of you guys think Eliud Kipchoge is? Everyone makes fun of Webb and his thinning hair (a la' Ovett) but Kipchoge looked several years older than his stated 18 last season, and the shots I've seen of him this year make me think he's at least 24 or 25. It doesn't matter all that much, until runners are credited with junior records or given medals that they shouldn't own, or have been in the running for in the first place.

Comment

Cyril -- I agree with your statements. I do believe AW will get a break before the Trials if his body feels fried, tired, run-down or out of sync. AW has between 21-25 days to rest, train, tune-up and focus on the first of hopefully two big shows this summer!

As far as Johnny Walker:s statements -- I feel AW may be testing his ability to run consecutive good races against a tough crowd. If AW runs 3.35 and finishes 8th - yet feels he ran a technically sound race, the times will drop once he is able to put everything together. Consistency may be on the top of the list right now. Workouts may have shown that AW is in a certain time range, he and his coach may be aiming at getting his legs used to racing as hard as he practices.

Comment

The need to peak for the Trials has been the perennial problem for U.S. athletes. I doubt very many would not feel the need to peak for the Trials, even if they were going well -- the fields are just too competitive, you've got to be at close to your best to ensure you even get to the Games. It's a problem El G and athletes in the non-Trials-selection countries don't have -- and it does place our athletes at a disadvantage in winning medals. But no one's been willing to change a "choose-by-the-merit-on-the-day" system, since it seems so "American."

Comment

Did Gabe Jennings peak for the 2000 Trials? Or did he carry over his "peak" from NCAA-level competition?

Comment

I've felt the US "trials" have been in need of some type of overhaul for years and years.

People complain about using a selection process, but the US is in need of it. If our top performer or two in a given event demonstrates near tip-top fitness, maybe they should be given a bye when it comes to the trials, with some type of elimination rounds to decide the other one or two persons who will compete at the games in a particular event. Maybe it's not fair, but our trials system is bogged down under a ton of egalitarian bs that is sometimes helping out our athlete's opponents. Peaking twice in a short period is very hard, impossible for most.

Hopefully Webb is not peaking too soon, but he is no shoe-in for the team. Now, if he had been running 3:33 last season ...

Comment

Jennings was at his peak for the NCAA's and trials, then fell apart by the time the games came around. He probably would have been better off red-shirting and pointing for Sydney.

Comment

Not sure what they're doing today, but in the 80s the U.K. selection committee chose at least one top-ranked athlete (say a Steve Cram) and then asked the others to compete head-to-head. It remained an imperfect system and still left lots of bad feelings -- at least that's my recollection of reading about the Cram, Coe, Ovett, P. Elliott days --

Comment

I really don't think Alan needs to peak. He may feel the need to do so but who else can touch 3:33 or even 3:35 with the last 800 solo?

Certainly there won't be three.

Now, if it turns out to be slow, and by some wierd turn of events Webb gets 4th or 5th, who else is going to get the standard anyway? Maybe Lunn? McMullen still hasn't shown enough. Alan is almost guaranteed a spot.

A.W. is certainly in a class of his own in the US 15. He needs to think beyond the trials at this stage. I'm sure they are doing this, but it'll be interesting to see how they go about things.

Comment

Working...
                        X