Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Swimming Trials Versus US T&F Trials...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Swimming Trials Versus US T&F Trials...

Both are going to be very exciting.
    In terms of World level, which of these two
    fantastic Olympic sports will be the strongest,
    according to you?

Re: US Swimming Trials Versus US T&F Trials...

I will be very surprised if there are many people on this board who know/care much about the finny folk. No that's not an invitation for someone to show off their knowledge.

Comment

My experience with swimmers (I lived down the hall from them in the dorms) is that they tend to be crazed, spoiled-rich lunatics. They really liked to break things in the dorm, and didn't seem to care one whit that it was wrong. More so than students generally, who already tend to be a destructive, nihilistic lot.

As for what they do competitively, no, I don't know too much about the sport, although I myself swim for exercise since injuries stopped me from running.

Now I'll sit back and await the angry replies at my stereotyping of swimmers, many of whom I assume were not as big a jerks as the ones I lived near.
      "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I have the same attitude toward swimming that most of the American public has toward t&f: I pay no attention whatsoever.

Comment

The British swimmers I met at several games were wild too. I was quite surprised. The US swim trials are at Long Beach next month and I'm thinking about checking it out, I think some of the girls are pretty hot....oops, sorry, contradicted what I just wrote on that other thread!

Comment

Being attracted to swim teams I think is pretty much putting you on the edge of pedophilia.

Comment

I don't follow swimming but I do live in a swim-crazed area in the Bay Area. And judging from local as well as national media coverage (i.e. Sports Illustrated), there are a number of US swimmers with multiple medal hopes such as Michael Phelps and Natalie Coughlin.

So while the T&F trials will be held with the BALCO scandal hanging over it, the swimming trials will probably be heavily promoted by NBC due to the multiple medal hopes trying to make the team.

Comment

Don't the top 2 from each event make the team? That might make it more intense than the T & F trials.

Comment

>Don't the top 2 from each event make the team? That might make it more intense
                  >than the T & F trials.

Yes, top 2 to the Games in the individual events. Swim trials are right during the Track trials. Swimming at the Trials will be done in temporary pools!

Comment

>Being attracted to swim teams I think is pretty much putting you on the edge of
                    >pedophilia.
                    >>>

Nice! Head off to a meeting for a few hours and return to find myself likened to a Catholic priest...I have no idea how old swimmers are; I only watch every 4 years during the Olympics

Comment

We've got a local girl from here (Huntsville, AL) named Margaret Hoelzer who attends Auburn and has a good chance of making the Olympic swim team in the 200m backstroke. She obviously has good endurance genes, as her sister Martha was a standout distance runner in high school and later ran track for Alabama and North Carolina.

Comment

Here's one indication: Michael Phelps is probably the best USA swimmer in history--and there will be at least 2 guys on the team who can beat him...

Comment

Keep an eye on Natalie Coughlin. She just finished at Stanford, and currently holds 5 world records.

Comment

>I have the same attitude toward swimming that most of the American public has
                            >toward t&f: I pay no attention whatsoever.

the similarities between the two sports are many and the people that are attracted to competing must be just as dedicated. Many years and long, long hours of exhaustive training....

I agree that the American public pays little attention to swimming and T&F-prob. more attention to T&F-until the olympics. Then they are expected to take all the top medals in these two sports and are perhaps the most sold-out events of the Olympics! Where is the support at the college level?
                            It is very frustrating to see colleges and universities dropping their swimming and running programs left and right-yet we must be the best in the world! How?

Comment

>Keep an eye on Natalie Coughlin. She just finished at Stanford>>

Cal will be very surprised to hear that.

Comment

Working...
                              X