X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Jump/ 200m question...

How can you explain that many top long-jumpers
    were also excellent 200m sprinters?
    ( Mike CONLEY, Carl LEWIS, Larry MYRICKS...)

Re: Long Jump/ 200m question...

From experience, I think it has to do with the ability to accelerate and hold that speed. I was a much better 200 runner/LJer than in the 100 as were most of the jumpers I coached. Part of that was a crappy reaction time and it did not effect the 200 as much as the 100. I think LJers have strength to go along with speed but just don't react well to the gun. Carl Lewis was the exception even though his reaction time was not the best it was better than average. I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

Comment

Melvin Lister ran a mean 200 at LSU. I believe he also led off the 4x1 so he must have been a decent starter.

Comment

A long jumper needs good speed endurance to repeat 6 rounds. A lot of the training is repeated runs out to 200-300m also for relaxation a technical form. Depending on the type of training it enables the long jumper to have the endurance to complete a good 200m. The reaction time and start is a good point, not all of us were good off the blocks.

The other interesting point is that the western (USA) style of training has a lot more repeated runs over 150-200 than say the european or Soviet method who spend more time running slower and working technique. My experience has been training with a coach who worked in the US for years then moving to a Soviet. There were massive differences in philososphy in the running/sprint program for a long jumper. I have to admit, I think the western (USA) style is better if you want to go beyond 8.50m consistently.

Pedroso interstingly trained with a soviet style program, not a lot of runs past 100-150 and not much repetition, lots of shorter 40s as warm up to massive plyometric and jumping loads. The cuban appproach is very much like the old USSR style. Not many of there jumpers posess speed qualities of Myricks, Lewis, Powell, Conley etc, but you also cannot ignore the Cubans (or some soviets) results in the jumps.

My assesment of both systems is the soviets/cubans/europeans (excluding GBR) focus on movement and technique of jumping, the western style is more running based.

Hope this made sense

Comment

Satch can only think of 1 outstanding 400- LJ stud-- CHARLEY MAYS.

Comment

My coach (who was a friggin' genius, IMHO) always said that each trip down the long jump runway was the equivalent of a 200.

Comment

>Satch can only think of 1 outstanding 400- LJ stud-- CHARLEY MAYS.

Another LJ/400m stud was Anthuan Maybank. He was a 27footer as well as a 44 point guy.

Comment

>A long jumper needs good speed endurance to repeat 6 rounds. A lot of the
                >training is repeated runs out to 200-300m also for relaxation a technical form.
                >Depending on the type of training it enables the long jumper to have the
                >endurance to complete a good 200m. The reaction time and start is a good point,
                >not all of us were good off the blocks.

The other interesting point is that
                >the western (USA) style of training has a lot more repeated runs over 150-200
                >than say the european or Soviet method who spend more time running slower and
                >working technique. My experience has been training with a coach who worked in
                >the US for years then moving to a Soviet. There were massive differences in
                >philososphy in the running/sprint program for a long jumper. I have to admit, I
                >think the western (USA) style is better if you want to go beyond 8.50m
                >consistently.

Pedroso interstingly trained with a soviet style program, not
                >a lot of runs past 100-150 and not much repetition, lots of shorter 40s as warm
                >up to massive plyometric and jumping loads. The cuban appproach is very much
                >like the old USSR style. Not many of there jumpers posess speed qualities of
                >Myricks, Lewis, Powell, Conley etc, but you also cannot ignore the Cubans (or
                >some soviets) results in the jumps.

My assesment of both systems is the
                >soviets/cubans/europeans (excluding GBR) focus on movement and technique of
                >jumping, the western style is more running based.

Hope this made sense

I'm sorry, I didn't catch that...I was distracted by the name of the poster! What is that?!

Comment

>My coach (who was a friggin' genius, IMHO) always said that each trip down the
                  >long jump runway was the equivalent of a 200.

im afraid i dont get it

Comment

>Melvin Lister ran a mean 200 at LSU. I believe he also led off the 4x1 so he
                    >must have been a decent starter.

Not sure I recall when Melvin ran for LSU. What year was that? And wasn't Arkansas upset that LSU was using their athlete?

Comment

One of the best examples of this profile was Heike Drechsler, holding WR's for both events at the same time, both indoors and outdoors.

However,I would acctually disagree that a lot of longjumpers are great 200m runners... most arent, those that are are the exception, and big talents.
                      "If Gaby worked as hard with the weights as she did with her tongue she'd have a different concept of beauty. To get performances like mine, she'd have to sacrifice some of her good looks. The women of the west dont work as hard as we do" JK

Comment

>Not sure I recall when Melvin ran for LSU. What year was that? And wasn't Arkansas upset that LSU was using their athlete?

OOPS. I must have not been thinking.

Comment

Working...
                        X