Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2014 result of multi-event athletes-Broersen 6539p PB

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

    With this strongly restrictive policy that allows no more than 8 athletes in the multi events the one which are particularly strong in one event can (at least) enter that one. This is perhaps a bit more valid for women, where the differences between a multiplist and a "specialist" are a lot less visible.

    Comment


    • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

      Originally posted by gktrack
      Originally posted by olorin
      Very impressive - the US current depth in Heptathlon is amazing.
      Quick question - when is the NCAA qualifying period ends for the Heptathlon Pentathlon (or is the last chance meetings are also relevant for the multi-event?
      I'm pretty sure today, March 2, is last day for NCAA qualifying, for all events...

      ...and unfortunately, outdoors, the US guys have to throw the discus and javelin, if you know what I mean.
      That must be why the U.S. has never won any decathlon medals at the Olympics or Worlds.

      Comment


      • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

        Morgan Lake jumped 1.88m indoor pb a few days ago.

        Comment


        • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

          After Eaton failure to break the WR I was looing in the NAIA results trying to see whether there is an emerging star to brighten up my day.
          I came accros this:
          Akela Jones (born 1995!) from Barbados score 4163 in the Pentathlon. The interesting thing that she did it with running 2:41 :shock: in the 800.
          Then I looked at her PB in the other four events:
          60h - 8.30
          HJ - 1.87
          SP - 14.16 (!)
          LJ - 6.36

          To illustrate how good these marks are. If she could replicate these marks in Sopot she would be ranked second only ~50 points behind Broersen. It will take her probably a year or two to lower her 800 PB to 2:25 and learn how to throw the Javelin. Defenately one to watch for the future.

          Edit: After the Pentathlon she:
          Won the LJ in 6.26 (indoor PB)
          Won the HJ with 1.78
          Won the 60h with 8.31
          Finish second (shame on her) in the 60 7.52
          and had a disaster in the SP only 11.97

          Comment


          • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

            Originally posted by unclezadok
            Originally posted by gktrack
            Originally posted by olorin
            Very impressive - the US current depth in Heptathlon is amazing.
            Quick question - when is the NCAA qualifying period ends for the Heptathlon Pentathlon (or is the last chance meetings are also relevant for the multi-event?
            I'm pretty sure today, March 2, is last day for NCAA qualifying, for all events...

            ...and unfortunately, outdoors, the US guys have to throw the discus and javelin, if you know what I mean.
            That must be why the U.S. has never won any decathlon medals at the Olympics or Worlds.
            unclezadok - let me assure you that there were no negative implications here, I believe you took things completely out of context.

            Comment


            • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

              Originally posted by olorin
              After Eaton failure to break the WR I was looing in the NAIA results trying to see whether there is an emerging star to brighten up my day.
              I came accros this:
              Akela Jones (born 1995!) from Barbados score 4163 in the Pentathlon. The interesting thing that she did it with running 2:41 :shock: in the 800.
              Then I looked at her PB in the other four events:
              60h - 8.30
              HJ - 1.87
              SP - 14.16 (!)
              LJ - 6.36

              To illustrate how good these marks are. If she could replicate these marks in Sopot she would be ranked second only ~50 points behind Broersen. It will take her probably a year or two to lower her 800 PB to 2:25 and learn how to throw the Javelin. Defenately one to watch for the future.

              Edit: After the Pentathlon she:
              Won the LJ in 6.26 (indoor PB)
              Won the HJ with 1.78
              Won the 60h with 8.31
              Finish second (shame on her) in the 60 7.52
              and had a disaster in the SP only 11.97
              Wow - what a find! Should be a great World Juniors this summer...

              Comment


              • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                Johannes Hock posted on his FB page that he will be competing at the Texas Relays next week. He is hoping for around 7500 points, enough to qualify him for the NCAA champs. Since his right elbow still hasn't fully healed he will be throwing the javelin with his left arm. So if he appears to be struggling with the throws and pole, keep in mind he had surgery on his right elbow.

                Comment


                • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                  norunner - thanks for the post. Here's the field for the Texas Relays Dec/Hept:

                  http://stats.texassports.com/sports/...n_entries.html

                  http://stats.texassports.com/sports/...n_entries.html

                  Surprised to see Beach entered given the NCAA's were just a bit ago - last year there was an extra week of rest in between the two meets.

                  Comment


                  • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                    He can probably get a qualifying score easily enough and then he is free to train and compete. Also, if he fails (e.g., a nh) he can do another easily). The multis are 'direct to final' at NCAAs.

                    Comment


                    • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                      Originally posted by 26mi235
                      He can probably get a qualifying score easily enough and then he is free to train and compete. Also, if he fails (e.g., a nh) he can do another easily). The multis are 'direct to final' at NCAAs.
                      OK, now I am officially confused.
                      Is Beach red shirting or not this summer?

                      Comment


                      • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                        With Beach competing outdoors for Duke at the Texas Relays, and now also on the March 19 Bowerman watch list, I'd bet you'll see him at the NCAA's this June as well...

                        ...and check out his SP/DT at the Carolina Relays this past weekend, my goodness...
                        SP: 10.40/11.86/11.83 and DT: 35.08/30.24/28.36

                        Comment


                        • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                          Georgia Ellenwood [19?, Canada/Wis] ran 13.98 100h (PR was 14.46) and 25.94/-0.8 with JT 37.42m [PR 37.97]

                          Comment


                          • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                            Originally posted by gktrack
                            With Beach competing outdoors for Duke at the Texas Relays, and now also on the March 19 Bowerman watch list, I'd bet you'll see him at the NCAA's this June as well...

                            ...and check out his SP/DT at the Carolina Relays this past weekend, my goodness...
                            SP: 10.40/11.86/11.83 and DT: 35.08/30.24/28.36
                            Now I'm even more confused - I thought that red shirting is something you have to do and not something you choose to do it.
                            Re Beach's marks - last year he threw 36.37 & 12.57 in Texas relay and scored 8,011 points. In other meets he threw the discus to: 36.34 & 34.29 and SP 11.74. Then in the NCAA final (when he should have score at least 8200) he threw 37.21 & 12.89.
                            This is to say these are bad set of marks but (unfortunately) normal for Beach. My real hope (which is very unlikely to happen) is that he used the summer to learn how to throw the Javelin. Other athletes that share his weakness in the SP & DT were able to become relatively good Javelin thrower. Further, from all three throwing events he loses the most in the Javelin. But as I said unlikely to happen.

                            Comment


                            • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                              Re: Beach - If you look at his bio on Duke's track roster...
                              http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&Q_SEASON=2013
                              he is currently listed as a redshirt senior, in his 5th year of school but 4th season of eligibility. He came to Duke in 2009, so he competed indoors in 09-10 indoor season, 10-11, 11-12, missed 12-13, so he was able to compete in 13-14 as we saw in ABQ. Outdoors, he competed only very early in 2010 (ASU meet is usually in March), and missed the remainder of that season due to injury, so I can only assume the 2010 outdoor season didn't count since he was injured early and likely got a medical redshirt... So assuming indoors and outdoors are considered separate seasons, he would have four remaining outdoor seasons: 2011, 2012, 2013 and this season, 2014. But it's clearly outdoor season now and he's representing Duke at the Texas Relays, so that would be my guess...

                              Comment


                              • Re: 2014 result of multi-event athletes-

                                Yes, he would be a RS Senior, which is not an athlete in their senior year of school that is red-shirting the year but a Senior by eligibility in their fifth year. If they are listing him in the entries as Duke then he is not a red shirt also, but that is moot in this case already.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X