Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Craziest, Wackiest, Strangest Things in Track & Field

Thank you, Mike. You just taught me a new word.

Comment

http://www.dngalan.com/eng/stadion

Comment

Weird tracks??
        Ambassador College in Pasadena California. Famous for it being the training area for Dwight Stones. It looks like it was built for a high jumper. I don't know if they've changed it, but when I ran there in college in the late 70's it was built on top of a parking garage. Only 300 meters in length, with completely flat curves. They tried to convince me to run the "300" hurdles there (around TWO curves) and I refused. Figured I'd break my ankles on the curves. But, BOY, did it have a great High Jump area in the middle of it. lol Incredible campus though!

Comment

>Walt, Is the elbow tactic legal? Witnesses something similar at NCAA Western
          >Regional and was wondering if throwing elbows during a race is legal?

Depends on the situation and how strict the rules are being enforced. Joetta Clark used to get upset with Maria Mutola's "rough" tactics in the early 1990s, while others would say it was just typical "international-style" running. It usually has to be a pretty blatant foul for the "red flag" to go up.

Comment

I've NEVER thought of the Stockholm track as "weird," but then I've only been there as a spectator. It's the original 1912 Olympic stadium and it's wonderful that nothing significant has been changed. It's true that the finish line is just beyond the end of the straightaway, but that's part of the charm. I hope they never "improve" the place!

Comment

http://www.suffering.net/ormsby.htm

Article here on Ormsby.

Article on Beverly Hills HS's "Swim-Gym":

http://bhhs.beverlyhills.k12.ca.us/high ... 16_pg8.pdf

Comment

Thank you Walt!

Comment

HS Dual Meet 4x100m Relay, 2 teams from my HS and 1 from the other. At the 2nd exchange, out top team drops the baton. Our other team, (mine) has a clean exchange and continues to the third exchange, where our anchor leg (for some inexplicable reason which was never given to anyone) is watching the race from the infield. We hand off to our top team's anchor leg without missing a beat. Sadly we get beaten at the line and the officials never saw a thing.

Another interesting 4x100 story. Running the 2nd leg, my teammate approaches and I get out well. He goes to pass the baton and completely misses my hand. The baton flies out of his hand, hits the track on its end and bounces right into my hand on the forward swing. We won that one too.

Comment

>Kathy Ormsby was the runner who jumped from the bridge in the middle of the
                    >10k.

It was at the 1986 NCAA in Indy.... bridge over the White River is about 1/4 mile down the street from the track stadium. She dropped out of the race,fled the stadium, and ended up on the bridge, then, well, you know the rest. Sad story.

Comment

I have quite a few, but here are three:

1. In the early 80s at Ohio State’s French Fieldhouse, Jeff Ward of Miami (the real one) was vaulting at 17’ or 17’ 6”. About 8 - 12 “ of the bottom of his pole broke off during his vault, what was left of his pole dropped to the bottom of the box, but somehow he made the bar!

2. In the mid 80s there was an indoor tri meet between Ohio State, Ohio, and Miami. In the 4x400 a wise-ass guy (who will remain nameless) was anchoring for Ohio State and started heckling the Miami anchor runner. With about 200 to go a guy from Miami runs out of the infield and tackles the Ohio State loudmouth. Then all hell broke loose; a brawl that must have taken 10 minutes to break up, then erupted again when a Miami athlete threatened the Ohio State coach at the time, Frank Zubovich.

3. At the Dogwood Relays in ‘91, one of my Ohio Track Club athletes was running the steeplechase. There must have been 20-25 runners in the race. I was watching the start with another OTC athlete and our man approached the water jump for the first time. When he didn’t emerge from the water, we hurried over as fast as we could. Just as we got there our man comes staggering out of the water. It seems that when he went to put his heel onto the near side of the barrier he got it on the top, smashed his gonads on the barrier, rolled over the barrier into the water, then got trampled by half a dozen other runners. Fortunately he wasn’t hurt seriously.

Comment

The strangest way to a 4.06 1,600m: Alan Webb takes this one with his 2.14-1.52 splits at districts in 2001!

Comment

> Another interesting 4x100 story. Running the 2nd leg, my teammate approaches and I get out well. He goes to pass the baton and completely misses my hand. The baton flies out of his hand, hits the track on its end and bounces right into my hand on the forward swing. We won that one too.

MJR: I had seen something on television once (funny videos) where some guys were running a 4x100m in either Japan or Thailand, and one athlete:s hat came off and ended up on the athlete running up to pass the baton in the exchange. Bizarre.

Comment

4X400 at the LA Coliseum about 1969-70. At the end of the meet the Pacific Coast Club (It's been a long time so forgive me if anyone knows some of these details to be incorrect, but the story is basically true) runs a 4x400 with some of the top 400 people in the USA. The first leg runs a sizzling time, which the announcer says puts the team within shooting distance of a world record, the second leg is a scorcher, and the announcer is going crazy saying the team is now running at world record pace, the third leg is by the run and the runner is tearing it up, the announcer is now rabid, the team is clearly going for a world record, and is now under that pace, the crowd is into it, everyone is excited, until the third leg arrives at the handoff, and... no one is there!!!! He looks completely surprised, and storms off the track waving his hands, the announcer is almost in tears in the booth; and next to me is sitting Jim Seymour (4th in 400 hurdles at Olympics) laughing his butt off. He was the fourth leg, and didn't want to run, so the team said they wanted to run just for the heck of it. They KNEW they only had three! and the finish line histrionics were all part of the show!

Comment

Carl Lewis's version of the national anthem was pretty wacky. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Comment

In the early 80’s, I was watching an early season college steeplechase. The temperature was somewhere between 35 and 40
                                degrees. The guy leading the race by 20 yards hit the barrier and fell face first into the water pit. Amazingly he jumped up and
                                took about two strides and then just stopped. I don’t know if his body cramped up or what. The pack behind him was all going over the water barrier and were having a hard time avoiding this poor guy. His teammates then ran over to him and picked him up and
                                got him into a warm building. He said later that when he went into the water he was cold, but felt fine. He said his body just locked
                                up on him when he started running again.

Comment

Working...
                                X