X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Craziest, Wackiest, Strangest Things in Track & Field

>Did anyone prefer Stanford:s old track to their new one? I could not stand
    >running such long curves!

And the curves had a significant bank that often gave me problems with stitches and sciatica.

Comment

Re: Craziest, Wackiest, Strangest Things in Track & Field

>Weird tracks??

How about Franklin Field, site of the Penn Relays. The 400m distance is actually the inside line of Lane 5! The inside 4 lanes are shorter than 400m!

Comment

Re: Craziest, Strangest, Most Bizarre Things in Track & Fiel

I've seen misplace 300 and 400 hurdle heights and missing hurdle flights several times over the years.

I was almost hit by a discus while running the 5k at the Jenner Invite. I didn't realize it happened until I saw it on TV the next day!

Comment

Bruce Jenners somersault long jumping was different. Just think of the reaction you would have to have seen the first flopper or
          to see the first volzing.

Comment

these 2 are probably somewhat commonplace, but were amusing to see.... both at high school level:

1. 400 race that got stopped after about 300 meters because someone left a bunch of hurdles on the track down on the far turn. Sure blew the runners' minds.

2. Cross Country race, just a dual, stopped ( blasted starter gun repeatedly, runners yelled to "stop!" )due to lightning.

Comment

This has been noted before, but is memorable nonetheless: a false start in the 10,000 (Brussels a few years ago).

Comment

>these 2 are probably somewhat commonplace, but were amusing to see.... both at
                >high school level:

1. 400 race that got stopped after about 300 meters
                >because someone left a bunch of hurdles on the track down on the far turn.
                >Sure blew the runners' minds.

I am sure we have all seen a false start in the 200 or 400 where the runners continue running for 150 to 200 meters and have to
                come back minutes later and run the race a second time.

Comment

>This has been noted before, but is memorable nonetheless: a false start in the
                  >10,000 (Brussels a few years ago).

I love in the Olympics when at start of the marathon an official is pushing the runners toes behind the line. Like it really
                  matters.

Comment

> Cross Country race, just a dual, stopped( blasted starter gun repeatedly, runners yelled to "stop!" )due to lightning.<

At the US National Championships in Knoxville in 1994, the women's 10,000m was ordered by the referee to be stopped after 6 or 7 laps because of a lightening storm in the area. It was re-run a few days later.

Comment

The NAIA and the division 3 cross country meets were both run in Kenosha one year in the 80’s. They were on the same day,
                      but on two separate courses across the street from each other. During the NAIA race, the announcer paged one of the coaches.
                      His team was running the NAIA race when they were suppose to be across the street starting the D3 race.

Comment

One of the more interesting and entertaining events I have seen is the devil-takes-the-hindmost 3,200m at a prep invite in CA. Most of you know what this entails: the straggling (or those who find themselves last during each lap) are pulled from the track by a person in a devil with a pitchfork outfit.

1989 I watched a grade-9 athlete sprint each homestretch just out of the reach of the masqueraded fiend and just manage to pass one runner before the lap counter. The athlete carried on in fine style each lap - sprinting the homestretch...easing through the turn...tiring badly on the backstretch...picking his next victim as he entered the curve...then sprinting past that person with precision near the lap counter. The crowd got a kick out of this person:s shenanigans and seemed more into the athlete:s heroic attempts at avoiding capture than the actual 9.16MR posted by the eventual winner.

Long story short. Last lap: the 14-year-old bursts down the homestretch and continues past the finish line - not realizing the race had ended and there were no more athletes in front of him; he was so pre-occupied with trying to avoid "capture" that he had lost track of the lap count. The poor guy figuratively died on the extra lap:s backstretch. I kid you not: the "devil" made his way over to the kid - who was stopped by a field judge just before the 200m mark - to congratulate him on avoiding capture, and the kid sprints past him in lane 3 back into the homestretch!!

Comment

I believe that in the 3000St at the 1932 Olympics all competitors ran an extra lap because of an official's mistake . Considering it happened at an OG this one may take the prize.

Comment

>I believe that in the 3000St at the 1932 Olympics all competitors ran an extra
                            >lap because of an official's mistake . Considering it happened at an OG this
                            >one may take the prize.

Remember the Yifter-Pre race.

Comment

Quincy Watts lost his shoe during one of the 400m races at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. That was pretty incredible.

Comment

Someone help me out here. It was either the Olympic or World Championship Steeplechase. A naked or partially clothed man was running down the track behind the pack of runners. He jumped a couple barriers before being chased away only to show up later
                                in the race with security chasing him.

Comment

Working...
                                X