Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smarty Jones-not track

>I assume that the event means nothing to the non North Americans.<

Not true! All horse racing fans have heard of the Belmont, Kentucky Derby, and the Preakness (spelling?). Even the Irish and the British regard those three races as serious big time races.

Comment

I intentionally watched Belmont, rather than the OTC meet, although I had the VCR going to watch it later (just finished at this late hour). Big letdown, as we were pulling for Smarty Jones (did he peak too soon?)

I'm not a big horse racing fan although I own four Thoroughbreds, two of whom have raced (poorly). My 4yo gelding has the same grand sire as War Emblem, who almost won the triple crown last year. I only paid $800 for him as an 8 month old from a breeding farm which was liquidating their stock. My wife wants to use him for dressage.

Comment

I am off subject. I attended the Göteborg Horse Show during Easter weekend, and was familiar with only one athlete: Malin Baryard. No worries about getting bored after sitting both the A.M. and P.M. sessions, as the aggregate results were based off best times and best marks. So I had my stopwatch out during every rider:s attempt - and in every discipline, calling out "splits" to those embarassed relatives beside me.

Comment

I have balco+conte on a google news-alert and got SJ!

"And nowhere do the initials "S.J." appear in the BALCO investigation that has slimed Barry Bonds and some of our most prominent Olympic athletes. Smarty Jones wouldn't know Victor Conte from Victor Victoria."

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plainde ... 122244.xml

Comment

Smarty just hit the wall.

Comment

Working...
            X