Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it the end of men 400m golden era ?...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Is it the end of men 400m golden era ?...

I am a track coach and I think the 400 is going through some of the pains that the 200 has been going through since MJ left. Tyree Washington has as much ability as anyone out there, but did he waste a couple of his prime years trying to be a pro football player? Remember MJ was a 10.00 type sprinter in the 100. His pr is 10.09 ,but we all know he could have gone faster, probably sub 10. He just didn't train specifically for it. His training was a combination of 400 and some 200 training. Ramon Clay is a guy that has run low 45's ,but has stuck to the 200. He looks like a big guy compared to most of the 100types that run the 200.He could be a possibility. The 400 is traditionally a US strong point and will continue to be so because we have several young up and coming guys in high school,like Reggie Witherspoon and Xavier Carter if football doesn't get them. Also what's up with Anthuan Maybank? He was the up and comer at the 96' games.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>
    Since bionic Michael JOHNSON has retired,
    >none
    has ever run a sub-44"2 400m...
    I think a
    >44"2 400m = more or less a 10"10 100m.
    Which
    >is terribly pathetic.
    So, my question is:
    Did
    >Michael JOHNSON kill that marvellous event?

USAIN Bolt be clocking sub 44 at age 18 years old. In fact I expect him to be in the 400 meters final at the next olympics running about 44 seconds at age 17. At 6ft 8 inches in 2006 at age 19, I think Bolt will be challenging the world record for the 400 meters and he needs to do it fast because this young man could become 6ft 10 inches by age 22 and could be too tall to run the 200 meters. The 400 might stil be be okay at that height.

Usain Bolt will run 19.9 by this summer in the 200 Meters. and by next summer he will be running 19.7 at 6ft 6inches tall. I personally think that bolt will be too tall to ever clock the 19.32 or better for the 200 meters because in another three years he will be about 6ft 8 inches tall. His height will impede him fromm running the bend at the blazing speed that it takes to clock this time.

P.S USAIN Bolt is now 6ft 5inches and 16 years old. has run 20.25 for the 200 and 45.3 for the 400 in a trottle. Think about this, he could be running the 400 meters and the 400 meters hurdle?? in another 2 years.

Gab
    the official track guru from the sprint factory.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Aw, man. If that is true, my bad. I remember Butch getting hurt, but I sure would have remembered Butch running 43.91, especially if it was in the heats.

I sure remember Michael jogging a 43.96 in the semis in Seville (99). Mike slowed up at the finish line, and when the time showed, everyone wanted to kick his rear end for shuttin' down the engines. Looking back at that tape, he may have ran in the 42s at full throttle. He ran the 43.18 two days later. Peace.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Doug B, your crazy. Kadaris has no chance. Even if he did, it would only be because of the "extra" help he gets (hint, hint). A friend of mine runs for the Greek team, she has said on numerous occasions the guy is dirty. She, by the way is dirty. It takes one to know one.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

i wonder how kederis of greece would do in a quarter, he looks so strong on the backstretch even after running rounds, i hope he runs a quarter after the world championships, maybe in reiti, him and tyree washington what a race, maybe both break 44?

Leave a comment:

• jlanza
    replied

I just wish more people would step
    >up the the plate and try and go for those truely
    >phenominal times. And in my opinion Greene has
    >past his prime.

If its any help or hope, look at the high school results. WHile there certainly have been faster high school 400 runners, the wealth of talent the past few years, including this one, is tremendous. 2 teams at the AOC nationals ran 3:10. One team ran 3:14 and finished 6th. Lot of fast quarters milers at that level. Hopefully that translates to something in the future. Of course, you never know when or where the next "immortal" will come from or in what event.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>>As for athletes like Micheal Johnson or
    >Carl
    >Lewis coming around every 50 years, I
    >think that
    >is a bit of a stretch. That seems
    >like such a
    >long time. In my opinion it would
    >be something
    >more around 10-15 years, if that.
    >

Have to disagree with you on this one. MJ
    >and Carl are more like once in a lifetime
    >sprinters, not only for their accomplishemnts
    >but more for their longevity. Great sprinters
    >come and go but usually never can maintain their
    >excellence for mor than three years: Baily,
    >Greene, Watts, Kevin Young (400 IH), Marsh, and
    >a host of others were never able to maintain at
    >a level like Johnson and Lewis did.

Also
    >these two athletes did more than one event,
    >where so many of todays athletes are beginning
    >to specialize. Someone mentioned earlier that
    >all records are made to be broken, I agree
    >totally but how long will MJ 19.32 stand up?
    >20, 30, 40 years. Runners now are barely able
    >e to break 20.

ok now I see where you are coming from and I totally agree. Their longevity does make them stand apart from the rest, making them greater than great. It's just sad how the 400 and 200 suffer just because one great leaves, I just wish more people would step up the the plate and try and go for those truely phenominal times. And in my opinion Greene has past his prime.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

WRONG! Not Quincy but Butch Reynolds was the last non-MJ runner to break 44. Butch ran a 43.91 at the Oly Trials in 1996. Butch looked ready to go low 43 again at the Olympics before an injury knocked him out in the semis.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>Rock stinks...What has Wariner done? Mitch, Otis,
    >Adam and Darald will own Wariner for awhile.

Rico - why are you still posting? You have already been discredited as an imposter. As for Rock stinking, anyone who can post a low 45 in college is worth keeping an eye on, as are Potter and all the rest. I wish the best for all of these guys since they are the future of US 400 Meters.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>As for athletes like Micheal Johnson or Carl
    >Lewis coming around every 50 years, I think that
    >is a bit of a stretch. That seems like such a
    >long time. In my opinion it would be something
    >more around 10-15 years, if that.

Have to disagree with you on this one. MJ and Carl are more like once in a lifetime sprinters, not only for their accomplishemnts but more for their longevity. Great sprinters come and go but usually never can maintain their excellence for mor than three years: Baily, Greene, Watts, Kevin Young (400 IH), Marsh, and a host of others were never able to maintain at a level like Johnson and Lewis did.

Also these two athletes did more than one event, where so many of todays athletes are beginning to specialize. Someone mentioned earlier that all records are made to be broken, I agree totally but how long will MJ 19.32 stand up? 20, 30, 40 years. Runners now are barely able to break 20.

Leave a comment:

• jlanza
    replied

>As for athletes like Micheal Johnson or Carl
    >Lewis coming around every 50 years, I think that
    >is a bit of a stretch.

You're right, and I guess I didn't mean 50 literally, but I do think that some athletes, and Johnson is one of them, are very rare, rarer than "just" a great one. They rise above even great, if that's possible. They do not come around that often. I take Johnson, lewis, Jesse Owens, Edwin Moses, and put them on a different level because they did things no one else has done. it goes even beyond breaking world records. Mo has set a world record, but will never be immortal (unless he's got something to do that we haven't seen yet).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

As for athletes like Micheal Johnson or Carl Lewis coming around every 50 years, I think that is a bit of a stretch. That seems like such a long time. In my opinion it would be something more around 10-15 years, if that. Records are always made to be broken (thats very cliche I know, but true). With more talent coming up everywhere in the world in the sprints, the period of time between great athletes will become shorter and shorter. But I do agree that there is a bit of a limbo in the 400 now, but in a few years, if not this or next year, there will be someone under 44. I think the only event in track that doesn't ever have a lul is the 100 because it is do coveted. Everyone wants to be known as the fastest man in the world, am I right? I give Tim Montgomory's record about 3 years (unless Maurice Green sets it again, but im beginning to doubt that).

Leave a comment:

• jlanza
    replied

>How about a 200 guy moving up? sub 44 will
    >require a 20.0 or so 200 time plus the body type
    >and toughness to go 400m. Not many 20.0
    >performers out there.

Most short sprinters do not like the 400 and no wonder. I think its the hardest race out there, although I have not and never will, run a marathon. Just for the sheer adenaline rush before/at the start, and the all-out nature of every step aroudn the track, i don't think there is anything harder. As a quarter miler, I loved to run a 220 (okay, I'm OLD) or an 880 when called on to. The quarter just always put an extra special hurting on you.

I think there have been lots of short sprinters who could have been excellent quarter milers. Steve William for one, Carl Lewis for another. But there is a psychological item that is needed to make that move, and everyone doesn't have it. Marion Jones runs one once a year and hates it.

i think the 400 IS in a lull, regardless of the fact that Tyree is an excellent 400 runner. There may not be an other Michael Johnson for a while, but sometimes that absence makes you appreciate how good the world-beater really was.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

How about a 200 guy moving up? sub 44 will require a 20.0 or so 200 time plus the body type and toughness to go 400m. Not many 20.0 performers out there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Only seven men in the history of the sport have clocked under 44 seconds for 400m. The first one (43.86) was done in altitude. It took 20 years to break 44 again.

This is prime evidence that the 400m is arguably the most difficult race to run. An MJ comes, as someone said, "once every 50 years". We've been so busy watching Mike, we forgot the state of the rest of the event, and how diffucult sub 44s are. The last non-MJ to break 44 was Quincy Watts (1992).

The same with the 28 foot area in the long jump. Carl Lewis (like him or not) comes once every 50 years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X