The argument for Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The argument for Austin

The 3-year NCAA contract is coming down to either Austin or Sacramento, and today the Austin American-Statesman laid out the argument for Austin: http://www.statesman.com/sports/content ... 10073.html

(Note: this link will expire on June 13)
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Re: The argument for Austin

I still can't believe they snubbed Eugene on their bid. (they couldn't host in '05 because of a conflict with graduation, but could host the following two years)

Comment

My two cents don:t add up to a dollar, but here is my opinion: Could have been held at Penn State -- for all of those fans who love t&f, and for all of those athletes who have never been to the stadium (invites or Penn Relays). I imagine PSU would have attracted a high number of fans.

Comment

time to get out the atlas :-)

Comment

>time to get out the atlas :-)

is Happy Valley that close to Crappy Valley (i.e. Philly)?

Comment

Ok ... I am only nine hours ahead and my computer is slow today! What was I thinking!

Comment

>My two cents don:t add up to a dollar, but here is my opinion: Could have been
              >held at Penn State -- for all of those fans who love t&f, and for all of those
              >athletes who have never been to the stadium (invites or Penn Relays). I
              >imagine PSU would have attracted a high number of fans.

No names, but an athlete who was being added to the Penn Relays "Wall of Fame" one year drove with her husband to---Penn State, absentmindedly thinking that was where the Relays were held, even though she had competed in the meet for many years at Philly's Franklin Field. After discovering the error of her ways, she sheepishly headed back to Philly in time to be honored at the meet.

Comment

If media coverage means anything for a sport that needs all the pub it can get, isn't a night meet on the West Coast self-defeating?

Comment

I once heard a rumor from a well-placed source (or I would not repeat it!) that a major college coach booked the whole team from the west coast on a flight into Happy Valley.

Comment

>I once heard a rumor from a well-placed source (or I would not repeat it!) that
                    >a major college coach booked the whole team from the west coast on a flight
                    >into Happy Valley.

I go to Penn State, and I actually met a girl who, as a senior last year, had on her list of things to do at PSU before she graduated, "Watch the Penn Relays".

Now, perhaps as an incoming freshman, I could understand.......maybe.......but after being at the school for 3 or 4 years, you'd think you'd realize . . . .

Comment

I go to Penn State, and I actually met a
                      >girl who, as a senior last year, had on her list of things to do at PSU before
                      >she graduated, "Watch the Penn Relays".

This reminds me of when we were sitting in the stands in Atlanta on the last evening, paying $100 or more for the ticket and hearing someone in the row in front of us ask, "How long around is the track?"

Comment

If I were feeling smarmy enough, I might have replied "Oh, all the way."
                        In their defense, knowing where the finish line is and when they are approaching it for the final or only time could provide an exciting experience.

Comment

>This reminds me of when we were sitting in the stands in Atlanta on the last evening, paying $100 or more for the ticket and hearing someone in the row in front of us ask, "How long around is the track?"

I was at the Göteborgs Horse Show on Easter weekend, and asked "how long are we going to be here?" before the first event was underway.

Comment

I was at the Göteborgs
                            >Horse Show on Easter weekend, and asked "how long are we going to be here?"
                            >before the first event was underway.

That's what I asked when I walked into a fondue restaurant my wife "asked" me to go with her.

Comment

Doesn't Penn's track have lanes on the inside of the original lane 1? That is ridiculous and unfit for a championship meet. Why would anyone want to run an indoor style race again?

Comment

Working...
                              X