Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Foster dies in accident

David Monti sent a message around about this. I assume it is all over the letsrun board but I haven't looked yet:

"Medal-winning marathon runner Jack Foster died doing what he loved to do - riding his bike."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay. ... on=general

Re: Jack Foster dies in accident

Oh, no! This is terrible news.

I always loved Foster. Years back, there was a wonderful Runner's World "book of the month" on him titled "The Ancient Marathoner" (or something like that). Foster had a great attitude and achieved remarkable athletic marks for such an "old man". He will be missed.

Comment

I also am saddened by Jack Foster's accident and death. In the mid 1970's he appeared at Donna Gookin's 5K Friday evening fun run that was held in San Diego's Balboa Park. We talked at length with him after the race ...what an amazing man...he could average under 5:10 per mile for a marathon in his 40's!

Comment

A remarkable talent, to be sure. Sad news.

Comment

He will be sadly missed.R I P

Comment

About a dozen years ago, on a visit to New Zealand, I bought a nice copy of Murray Halberg's bio. Only after I got back to my hotel room did I realize that the book contained a folded letter--apparently used as a page marker by the original owner. The letter, written in the fall of 1972, was from Jack Foster to a "name" athletics personality of the day and described Foster's experience (and disappointment) in the recent Olympic marathon. A fascinating piece of paper that I treasure at least as much as the book it came in...

Comment

The letter, written in the fall of 1972, was from Jack
              >Foster to a "name" athletics personality of the day and described Foster's
              >experience (and disappointment) in the recent Olympic marathon.

8th in 2:16:51. We should all have such disappointments in our lives.

Comment

Exactly. But this shows how competitive Foster was. He wasn't just running as "the world's best master"; he was competing as one of the world's best, period.

Comment

>Exactly. But this shows how competitive Foster was. He wasn't just running as
                  >"the world's best master"; he was competing as one of the world's best,
                  >period.

I understand that although, at that point, he wasn't quite a master.

Comment

Actually, from the birthdate I've seen (May 1932), it would appear that he WAS 40 years old at Munich.

Comment

>You're right...but he sure was close...

One year older than Carlos when he had his year of years in 1984. They were probably both successful late in life for the same reason-big gaps in their competitive careers.

Comment

Right. If I remember correctly, Foster came from a cycling background and turned to running in about his early '30s...

Comment

>Actually, from the birthdate I've seen (May 1932), it would appear that he WAS
                          >40 years old at Munich.

Right. I thought I saw somewhere today that he was 71 when he died. Obviously it wasn't this though. Here is something David Monti shipped around from the NZ website:

"Jack Foster
                          23 May 1932 - 5 June 2004.
                          By Murray McKinnon "

http://www.athletics.org.nz/foster3.html

Comment

Very nice profile. I admire this guy tremendously: "He would prefer to run a personal best in a race and be third or fourth than win in a mediocre time."

Comment

Today I was privleged to attend Jack's celebration of his life.
                              Yesterday I was able to go to his home and pay my personal respects (he lay in state .. that is quite common here in NZ)
                              He is a tremendous loss as a human being.
                              I know no other person who was so humble and yet devestating to compete against.

Comment

Working...
                              X