X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andra Manson

What is he doing now?
    Is he still at Texas?
    does anyone know when he started high jumping?

Re: Andra Manson

Manson graduated high school in 2002 but took the following year off for academic reasons I believe. He is jumping at the Univeristy of Texas and will be competing at NCAAs this upcoming weekend. As far as I know however he has not topped his national HS record of 7-7 in college yet.

Comment

His SB is 7'5.

Comment

Last I checked, he is the favorite to win NCAA later this week.
        "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

He tops the TFN form chart. Do you really think he'll win, though? I'd bet even money on Teak Wilburn to beat Andra.

Comment

I'm a Manson fan since he beat Mason to win WJC in 2002. Hope he hits 2.30 or above this year, would love to see him in the Olympics
            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

To me Manson is a "mystery guy". He set an American junior record in '02. Then I read in T&FN that during practice sessions the bar never comes down. Why not? In '03 I saw him in Vancouver, enormous spring, but slow, Dumas like straight line run-up. He practically jumped in slow-motion, amazing piece of athleticism, but he only did about 7'1". I have a hard time believing he ran and jumped like that in Kingston the previous year. This year I understand he is faster and stronger but so far not close to 7'7". Let's hope he gets there.

Comment

I agree, Per. The couple of times I have seen him jump, Manson seemed very slow and not technically sound. I know I can't read his mind or emotions, but his body language and presentation seemed as if he were indifferent to the competition. He is a great talent so let's hope he develops, starting in Austin. But until I see it, I'd still bet on Teak W.

Comment

The HJ will be interesting in Austin next week. Andra jumped 2.29 (7-06) indoors this year at the Armory meet in February. Andra had the crowd giddy with excitement. "He will be on the Olympic team for sure", "he was toying with the field", etc. He did not miss a jump in that competition as he stopped after 2.29.

In that meet, Teak Wilburn jumped just 2.17 (7-01.5). Teak then won the Texas Relays over Manson.

So, what is up with Andra? I would love to know the cycle of emphasis for him. Did he mean to "peak" in mid-February?

I supply no answers, just more questions.

Comment

>To me Manson is a "mystery guy". He set an American junior record in '02.
                    >Then I read in T&FN that during practice sessions the bar never comes down. Why
                    >not? In '03 I saw him in Vancouver, enormous spring, but slow, Dumas like
                    >straight line run-up. He practically jumped in slow-motion, amazing piece of
                    >athleticism, but he only did about 7'1". I have a hard time believing he ran
                    >and jumped like that in Kingston the previous year. This year I understand he
                    >is faster and stronger but so far not close to 7'7". Let's hope he gets
                    >there.

Actually, Andra did run up just like that in Kingston, and still jumped 2.32. His takeoff leg was not strong enough to take any more speed than that so he just jogged up. He's gotten stronger now and his run-up is a little better, but he's been inconsistent this outdoor season.

Comment

OK, then !!! Austin shows that Andra Manson is the real deal. I take back all my doubts and wish him luck and additional PR's for the rest of the summer.

Comment

Congrats to Andra on returning to form. Just a little info, he originally signed with Arkansas but either his test scores or high school GPA (or both) weren't high enough for him to be admitted. After he wasn't academically accepted at Arkansas, Texas said that he looked fine academically to them. That's why he's listed as a freshman instead of a sophomore. I believe he was also an "old" senior in high school and that many athletes with his DOB would actually be juniors in college. He's still a great jumper even though he's older than would appear since he's listed as a freshman. I wish him well at the OLY trials.

Comment

He won NCAA HJ

1 Andra Manson FR Texas 2.32m 7-07.25

Comment

>Congrats to Andra on returning to form. Just a little info, he originally
                            >signed with Arkansas but either his test scores or high school GPA (or both)
                            >weren't high enough for him to be admitted. After he wasn't academically
                            >accepted at Arkansas, Texas said that he looked fine academically to them.
                            >

Manson wasn't academically eligible to compete last year, that's why he sat out

Comment

This is one of the first times he's actually been pushed in a meet, and he PR's. I believe if Lancaster (2.29) had jumped higher, Manson would have gone over at least 2.35 to win. He does what he has to in order to win. Rarely does he take the full three attempts at a higher height when he is alone in the competition. I can't wait until he's really pushed in the trials or at the "Games".
                              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Working...
                              X