Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desiree Freier: HSR 14-6 [and AJR]

Just was tweeted that Desiree Freier has broken her own Outdoor HSR with a vault of 14-6.
    And she's apparently still jumping....going for 14-9!!

Also, Kaitlyn Merritt, the 9th and 10th grade record holder (13-3 and 13-8 in 2012 and 2013), vaulted 14-0.75 last night.
    This breaks the 11th grade record!!

Freier, of course, now holds the 12th grade record!!

Re: Desiree Freier: HSR 14-6

Was premature in above post!

It was INdoors!
    Also, still not sure if it was a "meet", meaning if it met the standards set for a HSR...i.e. number of events/competitors, etc!

She said she "just missed" 14-9!

Will update ASAP!!
    (Does anyone have any better info??)

Comment

New details!

Yes, it WAS a legit track meet.
      A high school track meet, somewhere in Texas.

It WAS indoors, moved indoors because of the weather!

Thus, if confirmed, this would be the new INdoor HSR. breaking her own mark of 14-2.75, set this year.

Second in the PV was 12-0.

Her OUTdoor HSR remains her 14-3.25 from the Texas Relays.

Comment

Do you know the name of the meet? In or out, 14-6, if confirmed, would also be an AJR as well, I believe.

Comment

There are no raised runway issues, based on this photo, so no reason it can't be ratified as the absolute HSR/AJR.

https://twitter.com/tedmadden/status/45 ... 24/photo/1

Comment

Re: Desiree Freier: HSR 14-6 [and AJR]

It's a flash on the homepage - so I'm now officially excited. Great vaulters in the pipeline in Freir and Merritt. Thanks for the update/verification.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              There are no raised runway issues, based on this photo, so no reason it can't be ratified as the absolute HSR/AJR.

https://twitter.com/tedmadden/status/45 ... 24/photo/1
              I would be curious how deep the box is? It's probably at least slightly deeper than standard, not that HS records are overly nitpicky, but if it was like 2" deeper than normal, that's a significant difference...

Comment

I should probably explain my above post a little more. She is jumping off some sort of turf. There appears to be a box built built in to the floor. Typically, to install a box like that, you pull back the turf, install the box into the floor (like drill into the concrete of whatever, then put the turf over top and cut out a plug of turf that you take out when you want to vault, and put back when you're done.

The building appears to have wall to wall turf, you can see that the pit is placed on top of it. You wouldn't (and probably couldn't) install a box that was flush with the turf because it would be a safety hazard anytime the pit wasn't set up.

How thick is the turf? I don't know. It's a slow surface to run on because it is very soft. It is GREAT for training, but I would be surprised to see someone set a National Record on a turf runway... a deep box would explain that.

My background: In college we had a box set into our gym floor that was probably at least 3" deep. We rolled some sort of turf on top of the gym floor for a runway. A deep box really makes a difference. In our case, it helped to counteract the slow and short runway. We had a gym door that especially hindered our guys. But I noticed a big difference as far as how high I was able to grip on poles from a short run, I had to be careful at meets to start with a lower grip for warmup jumps, and often saw my teammates make the same mistake.

Comment

I realize that there's a lot of technique involved in the pole vault, but obviously speed is a factor too. What is the minimum speed required for a woman who is five feet tall to vault that high? What would be an educated guess on her 60-meter speed?

Comment

All a deep box does is make your pole softer, so you could be screwed if you didn't bring a longer/stiffer pole. But, if you did, then yeah, you're in business!

edit - I just read what I wrote above and I'm blushing.

Comment

see story now posted to front page; includes video with competition footage and interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        All a deep box does is make your pole softer, so you could be screwed if you didn't bring a longer/stiffer pole. But, if you did, then yeah, you're in business!

edit - I just read what I wrote above and I'm blushing.

"All it does"? That's a significant advantage, the same as you would get from a downhill runway.

I couldn't see the box very well from the video. I know lots of high schools probably do have a box that is a little deep or a runway that is a little downhill, I'm not saying this should be nitpicked, but before anyone accepts it as a record, it would be prudent to have a good picture of the box.

As far as an American Junior Record, I can't imagine the USATF record committee ratifying it without a ton of documentation about the exact specs of the box, runway, etc.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. Desiree is perfectly capable of jumping 14'6 and might well have done so outdoor had the weather not forced them in. I'm just saying that based on my experiences with indoor vault boxes in facilities like this, I'm skeptical that everything was up to snuff.

Comment

I can't claim much knowledge about the physics of the pole vault (or the physics of anything come to think of it; only HS class I ever dropped out of), but….

Isn't the effect of a box that's 2 inches deeper to mean that you've in effect lowered your grip by 2 inches, meaning you need more pushoff? Meaning that it's actually a disadvantage, if anything?

I mean, apply a reductio ad absurdum (Latin I can do :mrgreen: ). If the box were 6 feet deep, how high would you vault?

Or am I missing something?

Comment

gh - your reasoning is right, but this is easily corrected for by raising your grip slightly. This leaves your actual grip on the pole a little higher, but your effective grip will be about the same as it would be on a normal box after your adjustment.

anectodally, i've found it a slight advantage to vault with a deeper box (again, if this even helps, there is going to be a point where the extra pole you have to carry isn't worth the trade off. This probably happens somewhere in between an inch and your example of 6 feet :shock: )

I couldn't get the video to work. was she even wearing spikes?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              I can't claim much knowledge about the physics of the pole vault (or the physics of anything come to think of it; only HS class I ever dropped out of), but….

Isn't the effect of a box that's 2 inches deeper to mean that you've in effect lowered your grip by 2 inches, meaning you need more pushoff? Meaning that it's actually a disadvantage, if anything?

I mean, apply a reductio ad absurdum (Latin I can do :mrgreen: ). If the box were 6 feet deep, how high would you vault?

Or am I missing something?
                              Nope, you're totally missing something, but it's kind of an obscure thing for a non-vaulter to understand.

If you had a box that was 2" deeper than normal, you are still jumping off the same runway height as before, so if you held at the same height, it would effectively be 2" lower. What that means is now you can easily hold 2" higher. As you raise your grip, the pole gets softer, so you are able to more easily move to stiffer poles. Yes, your grip is lower relative to the bar, but being able to roll stiffer poles into the pit is going to help a vaulter of that caliber jump higher.

In this case, I think the turf runway was likely a disadvantage, so it's possible that all the deep box did (if it is deep) was counteract the disadvantage there. Desiree is legitimately a 14'6 jumper, this isn't like some 13' girl suddenly having a massive PR. But nonetheless, the rule book has specs for the dimensions of the box, it is prudent in this case to find out if the box was deep relative to the runway.

Ask any elite vaulter about deep boxes. I know elite vaulters that measure the box at every facility they go to, because sometimes they do vary a little. A box that is a 1/2" deep or shallow can have an impact on what poles you use, and is helpful to know in advance.

Her stepdad said she was on a 14'160 gripping 13'4-13'5 when she was attempting 14'9. That's the same pole she used at Texas Relays, which pretty much always has a smoking tailwind. Indoors I think she was on a 155 with a slightly lower grip.

Again, turf runway = slow, I would not expect someone to be able to use the same pole they did at Texas Relays with a ton of adrenaline and a smoking tailwind, on a turf runway at an indoor facility (no wind).

Now anyone who has ever worked with HS kids knows they are all over the place, so anything is possible. I am just saying that I strongly suggest getting a good picture of the box before declaring this a record.

Ask other (former) elite vaulters that you know about how much of a difference a deep box makes.

Comment

Working...
                              X