Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon's 1:43.88

in case you didn't see the stats posted to the front page yesterday, allow me to repeat them here:

Did Duane Solomon's 1:43.88 at the Mt. SAC Relays seem like a very fast 800 mark for this time of year to you?

It should: he's the first ever to break 1:44 in the month of April. The previous April Record was a 1:44.38 by WR holder David Rudisha in ’08.

Having said that, it should be noted that there have been a half-dozen 1:43s before April: 1 in January and 5 in March. Of those 6 marks, 4 were in the Southern Hemisphere and 2 were indoors, meaning that Solomon ran the first outdoor 1:43 before May.

And it's also the fastest by a non-Kenyan-born runner before May, anywhere.

The previous earliest that any American broke 1:44 was a 1:43.72 by Johnny Gray (coincidentally, Solomon's coach) in Seville, Spain, on May 30 of '92.

(stats by Kevin Saylors)

Re: Solomon's 1:43.88

I have always noticed that the 800 (880) was always a late-blooming events for Americans especially. Nothing seemed to rev up till late May at the earliest. So the obvious question is: is he peaking now, or will he continue to drop his times over the summer? My sense is that he has done a s***-load of work to get himself to this early level of excellence, but am skeptical there is a whole lot more. I desperately want that NOT to be true, but . . . we'll see. Living in the 42s, with scattered visits to the 41s? Please! (I mean that in both senses of the word!)

Here's rooting for him!

Comment

Also worth noting that Brandon McBride who finished 4th in 1:45.35 has a birthyear of 1994, not sure if he is still 19 or just turned 20. That moves him up to # 5 all-time Canadian and another few tenths this year will move him up to # 2, behind only Gary Reed!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        So the obvious question is: is he peaking now, or will he continue to drop his times over the summer?
        Solomon has the same coach (Gray) as he's always had. So I would expect him to continue to improve.

Comment

DOB for McBride = June 15th, 1994.

Comment

Working...
          X