• Show
Clear All

Re: World Relays and Continental Cup TV coverage

Day 2 live stream on IAAF's official YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHHvVojVQjc

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
      Since when did the events become the 1-lap, 2-lap, 4-lap, 8-lap, and 15-lap relays? The IAAF startlists still have 4x100, 4x200, etc, but I just realized the "new" format is being displayed on the live streaming screen. And the announcers are going along with it!
      I had not noticed that before either......It does afford flexibility for 440 yd or 400 m tracks...
      except for that nuisance 15 lap relay

Comment

Since when did the events become the 1-lap, 2-lap, 4-lap, 8-lap, and 15-lap relays? The IAAF startlists still have 4x100, 4x200, etc, but I just realized the "new" format is being displayed on the live streaming screen. And the announcers are going along with it!
        It's just more "dumbing down", it seems to me. Of course, 4-lap relay used to mean, in LA City Schools, the 8 X 220, which was a horrible mess for lots of schools who couldn't come up with eight sprinters. The 15-lap relay could just as well be 3 X 2000. Sad.

Of course, good ol' Peter Matthews kept calling them "four by < >".
        Cheers,
        Alan Shank
        Woodland, CA

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          I had not noticed that before either......It does afford flexibility for 440 yd or 400 m tracks...
          except for that nuisance 15 lap relay
          I never heard it before either, but I thought I am just behind times (as usually) :wink: .
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by tm71
            The relays could be the most exciting part of the sport. The rest of the world is now figuring out now why Americans and Jamaicans fill the stands at u penn every fourth weekend in April !
            I watched the coverage and still don't get it. Both 4x15s were a snoozefest. The 4x2 is a totally ill-conceived event where you have no idea what's going on for some three-quarters of the race (unless you've seen loads of these races before, then maybe you can get a rough idea of where the teams stand relative to each other). Of the non-championship distances, only the 4x8s were in any way exciting.
            Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by athleticshushmail
              Dish Network provides a good stream of Universal Sports free to anyone living in the US, you don't have to have a cable provider or TV. If you haven't used it before, its free, otherwise its $10/month. you can watch the meet on demand when you are free, you do not have to watch it live (but can).

http://webapp.movetv.com/player/win/DishWorld.msi is the direct link to the download

http://www.dishworld.com/freepreview is the link to the webpage
              I signed up for the $10 deal on Saturday and it was well worth the money. This was a meeting not to be missed.

My only gripe was that the video quality on Saturday was medicore, although it seemed to improve on Sunday. I also had a glitch when I went full-screen where the screen would blink every 10 seconds or so. By Sunday night, it was actually freezing in full-screen. It might have been something on my end though like a driver problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                I watched the coverage and still don't get it. Both 4x15s were a snoozefest.
                The W 4 X 15 could have been a great race had Ethiopia entered a team. Imagine a team of Almaz Ayana, Gelete Burka, Genzebe Dibaba and Abeba Aregawi -- OOPS! OK, Gudaf Tsegay, or Senbere Teferi.

BTW, I wonder whether Fantu Magiso is going to reappear this year. She ran a few 2:00-2:02 races last year, then a couple of slow 800s indoors in February. She is a real talent, breaking 1:58 three times in 2012.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank
                Woodland, CA

Comment

General comment: I thought the meet was fantastic. Haven't had that enjoyable of a time watching a track event on TV in quite a while; partly due to the complete absence of Tom Hammond.

Would love for the event format to catch on, and get more nations involved. Maybe DMR, SMR, and even the shuttle hurdles relay can make an appearance!

Comment

Originally posted by nbonaddio
                    General comment: I thought the meet was fantastic. Haven't had that enjoyable of a time watching a track event on TV in quite a while; partly due to the complete absence of Tom Hammond.

Would love for the event format to catch on, and get more nations involved. Maybe DMR, SMR, and even the shuttle hurdles relay can make an appearance!
                    Considering how even the stronger nations had some trouble filling their teams, with lots of very high caliber athletes not competing, I don't think expansion is likely, or desirable. Not many top-class athletes are likely to do like MARtinez and double up with an 8 and a 15.

Agree about Tom Hammond, though I did miss Tim Hutchings.
                    Cheers,
                    Alan Shank
                    Woodland, CA

Comment

I don't think we'll see expansion and we'll likely see less in the way of big names next year due to the WC later in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by nbonaddio

It was truly an awesome event. You could tell that there was a "good vibe" going all around and loved the format of introducing each team separately when they came through the tunnel. The athletes were generally practically giddy, laughing and having a good time too. It seems like the pressure for success was not quite there as in a regular championship meeting. I have a feeling that next time, EVERYONE will be there and the affair will be taken considerably more seriously. It will be interesting to get Garry Hill's first-hand report on it all.

I thought that Steve Ovett and his compatriots did an outstanding job on the Universal Sports feed.

Comment

Working...
                        X