Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Track League 2014

Originally posted by polevaultpower
    I don't know why it would be uploaded to TFRRS, the results are not eligible for NCAA qualifying because they didn't have enough events.
    Good point. I was ignorant of the rules for NCAA qualifying marks, and had to look them up.

This raises an issue for purposes of whoever are the volunteers who compile the annual performance lists for the USATF/FAST (Federation of American Statisticians of Track) statistical annual. That is, TFRRS doesn't have necessarily have all the college marks, creating a potential to overlook some performances. The American Track League in Bloomington, for example, had a few clockings by University of Indiana athletes which couldn't go in the TFRRS system's NCAA performance rankings apparently for the reason stated by polevaultpower. Rory Hunter had a 3:40.36 there to win the ATL Bloomington 1500, but TFRRS only shows him a season best 3:43.12, and Blooming steeple marks are missing from TFRSS also. Then there are the marks by California junior college athletes competing outside the NJCAA. I'm not clear where one finds those compiled, but I don't think it's at the TFRRS website.

A good while back I assisted with FAST annual performance compilation for a mere two years, and only for the women's high jump and women's pole vault. It was extremely difficult, especially when not commenced until the season was completely over. Today the Internet is much better, but one still has to know what the heck one is doing. Anyway, back on the subject of ATL-San Marcos, the results are now (Sunday late afternoon) posted at the ATL website, but absent wind readings which initially was the case also for one of the previous ATL meets. I'll have to look back at the Finland website results to see if it has wind readings.

Comment

results are now on all-athletics.com, and do have wind readings (mostly negative). Too bad this meet has kind of gone missing -- perhaps nothing major occurred, but there were some good athletes there, e.g., Eaton, Hardee, Brittany Reese, et al. Oh well.

Comment

I was actually excited when I heard this concept announced. Unless they get the bugs out THIS season fuggedaboudanudder.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
          ^ Tilastopaja is a subscription service, like all-athletics.com. I don't quite get how the results can be there but -- afaik -- nowhere else, especially the ATL site.
          I am sure they were emailed to Mirko. Paul probably sent an email to Mirko, the iAAF, etc, before he had a chance to post them himself. Yes, I agree with the sentiment that they should have been on the meet website ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by CKuykendall
            I don't know why it would be uploaded to TFRRS, the results are not eligible for NCAA qualifying because they didn't have enough events.
            Good point. I was ignorant of the rules for NCAA qualifying marks, and had to look them up.

This raises an issue for purposes of whoever are the volunteers who compile the annual performance lists for the USATF/FAST (Federation of American Statisticians of Track) statistical annual. That is, TFRRS doesn't have necessarily have all the college marks, creating a potential to overlook some performances. The American Track League in Bloomington, for example, had a few clockings by University of Indiana athletes which couldn't go in the TFRRS system's NCAA performance rankings apparently for the reason stated by polevaultpower. Rory Hunter had a 3:40.36 there to win the ATL Bloomington 1500, but TFRRS only shows him a season best 3:43.12, and Blooming steeple marks are missing from TFRSS also. Then there are the marks by California junior college athletes competing outside the NJCAA. I'm not clear where one finds those compiled, but I don't think it's at the TFRRS website.

A good while back I assisted with FAST annual performance compilation for a mere two years, and only for the women's high jump and women's pole vault. It was extremely difficult, especially when not commenced until the season was completely over. Today the Internet is much better, but one still has to know what the heck one is doing. Anyway, back on the subject of ATL-San Marcos, the results are now (Sunday late afternoon) posted at the ATL website, but absent wind readings which initially was the case also for one of the previous ATL meets. I'll have to look back at the Finland website results to see if it has wind readings.
            I do the pole vault now for the the FAST rankings. I have been encouraging vaulters who put on meets (such as at Bell Athletics) to email USATF, the IAAF, Tilastopaja, All-Athletics, etc to make sure their results are published and hit the various performance lists. I generally check all of the sites I just listed, plus TFRRS, Dyestat, athletic.net, Milesplit just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

The CA JC results are usually on DirectAthletics, I believe they do their official performance lists.

The internet is an amazing thing when it comes to information sharing...

And yes, all of the wind readings are on Tilastopaja, which is a Finnish site, not French.

Anyway, it is unfortunate that the results were released to the public slower than the rabid fan base would have liked, but clearly they were released quickly to the most important parties, and will not be overlooked when it comes to US and World rankings.

Comment

Nowhere on the ATL explanation of the series do I see that it is geared toward hardcore fans sitting at home waiting for results.

It's a different concept and I applaud Paul Doyle for taking the trouble to try something new-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by CKuykendall
                I'll have to look back at the Finland website results to see if it has wind readings.
                And yes, all of the wind readings are on Tilastopaja, which is a Finnish site, not French.
                Which is precisely what I said...Finland.

Comment

Sorry, sleep depravation gets the best of my reading skills at times...

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                    Nowhere on the ATL explanation of the series do I see that it is geared toward hardcore fans sitting at home waiting for results.

It's a different concept and I applaud Paul Doyle for taking the trouble to try something new-ish.
                    Oh, i get it, he doesn't want to flame the interest of track fans. That is a different concept.

Comment

Working...
                    X