Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Götzis 2014 (31.05./01.06.)

In a year without olympic games/ world championships this might become the combined events highlight of the season.

On the IAAF side, they already listed former winners with intention to start:
    Trey Hardee (2010, 2011)/ (PB: 8790; 2013: no result)
    already very good results in 2014
    Hans van Alphen (2012)/ (8519; no result)
    at age 32 not in 8000+ form anymore
    Damian Warner (2013)/ (8512; 8512)
    PB in the LJ (7,62) earlier this season

Aside the absence of Ashton Eaton, they further announced as confirmed starters:
    Eelco Sintnicolaas (8506; 8391)
    Winner of Fiorenze
    Thomas van der Plaetsen (8252; 8252)
    Great shape in Sophot

For all others from my pov there should be no reason to miss Götzis this year, if helthy.
    Jan Felix Knobel (season finished) and Michael Schrader to my knowledge are injured.

Who will participate among other world class athletes:
    Leonel Suarez (8654; 8317):?
    same like every year, you never hear anything about his form
    Andreij Krauchanka (8617; 8390): probably yes
    great form in march in Sophot)
    Pascal Behrenbruch (8558; 8514): probably yes
    horrible in Sophot, but usually starts in Götzis
    Yordani Garcia (8496; 8157): probably yes
    leads the world in 2014 and ran 13,98 just recently
    Oleksey Kasyanov (8479; no result): probably yes
    great form in Sophot
    Kevin Mayer (8446; 8446) probably not
    injured or just out of shape?

More to come ...

Re: Götzis 2014 (31.05./01.06.)

Originally posted by eiluke
    Hans van Alphen (2012)/ (8519; no result)
    at age 32 not in 8000+ form anymore
    I was surprised to read this as van Alphen has only been on the international stage for a short while. But the stats say he broke 8000 points for the first time at age 25 and 8200 (IAAF A-standard) at age 29. Possibly a record late bloomer.

Comment

A late bloomer of course, but his 2014 (indoor results) are no indication of van Alphen beeing back in 2012 shape:
      60m: 7.32 Gent (BEL) 09.02.2014
      polevault: 4.50 Gent (BEL) 15.02.2014
      longjump: 7.08 Gent (BEL) 09.02.2014
      shotput: 14.09 Gent (BEL) 09.02.2014

Comment

10 Germans will be competing in Götzis this year:

Pascal Behrenbruch, Rico Freimuth, Kai Kazmirek, Arthur Abele and Matthias Prey.

Claudia Rath, Lilli Schwarzkopf, Julia Mächtig, Carolin Schäfer and Cindy Roleder.

Comment

Start list are now on:
          http://www.meeting-goetzis.at/en/meeting-2014.htm
          Not the strongest line up but still very good competition in prospect with few interesting question (from my point of view) to be answered:
          Men
          - Will Hardee finish his first full decathlon since the Olympic games and will he will be able to break a PB in an individual event for the first time since 2012?
          - Can Krauchanka winter success propel him to become the favourite for the upcoming European championship?
          - Can Kai Kazmirek finish in the first two places among the (very) strong German contingent and show that the future is already here?
          - Can Nixon and/or Kazmirek continue their impressive progress and maybe challenge Kevin Mayer's score of 8466 and become the best young (born 199x) decathlete
          - Can chinin continue his progress from last year and become Brazil's best hope for an individual track and field medal in Rio
          Women
          - How good is Katarina JOHNSON-THOMPSON?
          - Can BTE defend her title from last year?
          - Can the injured Germans bounce back?
          - The Dutch duel schippers vs. Broersen - will nianchengyu be happy?

Comment

Apart from my obvious interest in the germans i'm very interested to see what Morgan Lake and Sofia Linde (and maybe Nadine Visser) do, two of the medal contenders for Eugene.

Comment

KJT is an obvious highlight for me as well. I really want to see her score over 6600 which I think she can do. She's PBed over the hurdles and if she can get both her HJ and LJ right she can score big (by 2013 standards)
              Lake would have been over 6000 in Italy had it not been for the atrocious rain, so she has to be aiming for that. She can go 6100.

Round 1 of the German scrap for places for Zurich will be interesting. No big scores expected on the women's side but on form so far this year it should be a good battle for supremacy with Rath, Schwarzkopf & Machtig likely to be pretty evenly matched at the end, with Schafer following. I'm really keen to see what Schwarzkopf can put together. Her speed over 100mh and 150m was awful in her opening meet, but she did a good 1.77 HJ and over 50m in the JT. My head says a score of around 6150-6200 for her, but I am hoping for more. Schafer has been PBing in different events and now is her time to come through. At the moment I have conservative estimates of the following, but I am hoping for another 100+ for each:
              Rath - 6160
              Schwarzkopf - 6140
              Machtig - 6120
              Schafer - 6060

Rico Freimuth has been talking about his improvements in training and technique this season so I really want to see what that translates to in competition.

If Van Alpen starts I will be happy. Such a shame he suffered injury after hs greatest season.

Comment

In some respects this is a great field due to the many subplots. Should be fascinating to see who improves and whether some of the bigger dogs - Mr. Hardee - can maintain.

Comment

It seems Schrader is only 40-50% sure of starting in Ratingen at the moment :cry: though he does have an appointment with Müller-Wohlfahrt this week.

Melnychenko apparently will not start.

Comment

I agree with Booond: despite the diluted fields (most particularly among the men), there are countless fascinating subplots.

Men
                    With the absence of Eaton and Suarez, and the withdrawals of Warner, Schrader, Sintnicolaas, Shkurenyev, Kasyanov and Van Alphen (have I missed any), there's definitely a bit of star power lacking in the men's field. But there are still some pretty good stories to follow:

- As mentioned by a few, Hardee's form, and whether he can hold off the young guns.
                    - The strong German team as they vie for spots in Zurich
                    - The emerging talent of Nixon, Van der Plaetsen, Braun and Helcelet, along with Felipe Dos Santos (??)
                    - What form Chinin and Krauchanka and Garcia will be in, all of whom have had fine moments
                    - A number of athletes in and around the 8,000 point level, and whether any can take a step forward.

Women
                    This is the largest Gotzis field in years, with a very interesting collection of young talent, and a likely heated and competitive four-way battle for the three podium spots.

- Among the very young: Lake, Thiam, Rodriguez, Linde, Visser - a strong collection of the future
                    - The four most likely to battle for the top spot: Theisen-Eaton, Broersen, Schippers and Thompson-Johnson.
                    - Those perhaps a notch (or two) below, looking to crash the party: Ikauniece, Klucinova, Rath, Machtig,
                    - Some interesting 'journey-women' above the 6,000 barrier but yet to emerge as real contenders: Farkas, Profit, Maksimava, Fyodorova, Sadeiko
                    - A number of competitors battling that 6,000 barrier: Alcide, Butvina, Marcussen, Vetter, Sprunger, Mokhnyuk

And more.

Bottom line - lots and lots going on in such a generous field. Should be great to follow (and the weather can't be worse than last year).

Comment

Two more young Americans missing are Kendell Williams and Sami Spenner.

Williams has a good excuse, as she'd have NCAA's 10 days after Gotzis.
                      But Spenner doesn't have NCAA's!!
                      Be great if she went there instead of USATF.
                      (Or why not both?? Tough double, but....!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk
                        I guess "Because she wasn't invited" is too obvious?

Comment

TinRoy already mentioned most of those top-decathletes, who do not start.

Jan Felix Knobel is further out for the season (protecting achill tendon)

Any news on Kevin Mayer, injured or out of shape?

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
                            Originally posted by aaronk
                            I guess "Because she wasn't invited" is too obvious?
                            She is a young 6000+ heptathlete so I guess she could get an invite if she wanted to compete.
                            The real question is - what is better finishing in 20th place in Gotzis or going for a medal (possibly Gold if Day is injured) in the USATF? hard choice...

Comment

Arthur Abele appears to be a late scratch as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X