Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This week's BS High School rule

This is an instance where I think some of us need to agree to disagree.

Some situations, and the rules that apply to them, are so subjective (and silly) that they are not only open to interpretation but require a personal, case-by-case evaluation (i.e. Marlow's "excessive celebration" example.)

But other rulings involve are clear cut, specific behaviors (as Marlow's baton throwing example.)
    Me, I think leaving the jump pit, walking across the track, standing in lane 9 while coaches on the spectator side of the fence review video in full view of other coaches and officials who are aware of the rule is on the clear cut side of things. But others may feel differently.

I do feel that it is imprudent to impute vile motives to officials who make a difficult ruling.
    I know the people who dq'd Adoree Jackson and I know that the decision was made with thoughtful circumspection and that egoism and a "gotcha" attitude played no part in the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
      This is an instance where I think some of us need to agree to disagree.

Some situations, and the rules that apply to them, are so subjective (and silly) that they are not only open to interpretation but require a personal, case-by-case evaluation (i.e. Marlow's "excessive celebration" example.)

But other rulings involve are clear cut, specific behaviors (as Marlow's baton throwing example.)
      Me, I think leaving the jump pit, walking across the track, standing in lane 9 while coaches on the spectator side of the fence review video in full view of other coaches and officials who are aware of the rule is on the clear cut side of things. But others may feel differently.

I do feel that it is imprudent to impute vile motives to officials who make a difficult ruling.
      I know the people who dq'd Adoree Jackson and I know that the decision was made with thoughtful circumspection and that egoism and a "gotcha" attitude played no part in the decision.
      I agree with your thoughts regarding the officials that had to make the difficult call. However, any opposing coach pursuing this DQ instead of quietly noting to the offending coach that he might want to be more careful with his video review and "communication devices" comes across as a very poor sport and possibly not the kind of person that should be guiding the youth of track and field.

Comment

Originally posted by skyin' brian
        any opposing coach pursuing this DQ instead of quietly noting to the offending coach that he might want to be more careful with his video review and "communication devices" comes across as a very poor sport and possibly not the kind of person that should be guiding the youth of track and field.
        and any official who did see it could have simply said, "This is a restricted area. Please move to an unrestricted area."

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Legal action:
            http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschoo ... story.html

Note: the initial response to the infraction was from a meet official not associated with the long jump who admonished the coach to stop and took no further action. When other coaches protested to the meet referee a rule interpretation was made and a appeal was rejected by the meet management.
            Some observers will continue to dispute the ruling, while others will fault the coaches who protested.
            This opens the whole can of worms @ the intentions of all coaches involved and their past interactions and present relationships.

Comment

Working...
            X