Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 100 Meter Map

One interesting pattern I've noticed in that map - it helps to be a former British colony. At least in Africa and the Caribbean. That links and distinguishes Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia and Sierra Leone from their relatively slow west (formerly French) African neighbours. Southern Africa (the other heartland of British Africa) and even relatively speaking Kenya also have good times, compared to non-British neighbour countries.

Similarly, in the Caribbean, Jamaica, Trinidad, St Kitts etc, have much much better results than larger countries such as Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafuffle
      One interesting pattern I've noticed in that map - it helps to be a former British colony. At least in Africa and the Caribbean. That links and distinguishes Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia and Sierra Leone from their relatively slow west (formerly French) African neighbours. Southern Africa (the other heartland of British Africa) and even relatively speaking Kenya also have good times, compared to non-British neighbour countries.

Similarly, in the Caribbean, Jamaica, Trinidad, St Kitts etc, have much much better results than larger countries such as Haiti, the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
      Don't forget USA and Canada (British) v Mexico (Spanish)

Comment

Originally posted by stylee10
        (interesting note: Seraphino Antoa, of Indian Goan descent, held the Kenyan record for a while)
        In college, I was neighbors with an Indian from Kenya. He said there were quite a few Indians in Kenya. I also had a Chinese employee who was born and raised in Mexico. Outside of the US and a few other countries, I think you tend to view many other countries as more homogeneous than they really are.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
          I think you tend to view many other countries as more homogeneous than they really are.
          From the CIA Factbook:

Mexico:
          1) mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 60%,
          2) Amerindian or predominantly Amerindian 30%,
          3) white 9%,
          4) other 1%

Kenya:
          1) Kikuyu 22%
          2) Luhya 14%
          3) Luo 13%
          4) Kalenjin 12%
          5) Kamba 11%