Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it comes to drugs - US says F U to rest of the world

One rule for the world; another for the USA.

Mr Doper Dennis and Mrs Doper Damu Mitchell selected by the Dopes of USATF as the USA relay coaches. "The coaching staff for the IAAF World Relays was put together as the group of the best eligible coaches available to coach for this event." so opines the USATF publicity Dope, Jill Greer, Chief Public Affairs Officer.

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman". When faced with historical precedents like that I guess the USATF feels they are on pretty solid ground.

No wonder the Jamaican posters on this Board get pissed off

USATF appointments yet to be released as still subject to temporary embargo
    C J Hunter: - Weights coach
    La Shawn Merritt: - Special nighttime after event performance coach
    Marion Joness: - Pharmacy Liaison Officer
    Victor Conte: - Honorary Chemist
    Trevor Graham: - Patron for the provision of services to USATF by a foreigner
    Lance Armstrong:- Technical officer for USATF Truth and Reconciliation Committee
    Tyson Gay: - USATF 2014 Team Captain

Re: When it comes to drugs - US says F U to rest of the worl

Talk about threads with a really short life expectancy.
    I don't understand what rule you are talking about, is there a rule somewhere that says "don't use former drug cheats as coaches"? It's questionable but that's all and it certainly isn't something only the USATF does. Rainer Pottel, german national decathlon coach, admitted to using PEDs in the 80s, Werner Goldmann, who until his retirement coached Robert Harting, also admitted to being part of the GDR dopingsystem. There are more examples and i'm guessing one could find examples from other countries too.

Comment

The sanctimony about drugs is exactly why the sport is dying. Note that it was most popular when the authorities took a totally laissez-faire approach to the issue?

Comment

Tuariki, does it bother you that there are convicted felons walking around after having served their time, some for murder, which I think is vastly worse than taking an ADHD medication and doing something as egregious as competing in an amateur event? I am 'sorry' you do not like the rules that the world lives by (and the WADA rules are not US rules).

You have been banned before and your postings have been getting more and more nasty and destructive to the camaraderie of the board. Take it to LetsRun where they do not seem to care as much about such things.

Comment

TNF will never clean up the drug problem when the druggies are let back in.

Letting Tyson Gay back in or Gatlin or whoever back in is bad enough. But for national bodies, and especially the USATF given the US's preeminent place in the TNF world, to go and appoint druggies as their coaches simply sends a wink, wink, nod, nod to athletes to give it a go. And gives a big "up yours" finger to other countries.

Do as we say, not as we do.

If you get caught, and you are really good (like Olympic medalist material), don't worry, we will bend and twist the rules for you. We might even give you a job later on as a coach. After all, who better to help athletes avoid being caught those who have already been through that process.

No national body of any country, if they are serious on the drugs issue, should ever appoint a convicted druggie to be a national coach or national anything.

Comment

Originally posted by norunner
            Talk about threads with a really short life expectancy.
            I don't understand what rule you are talking about, is there a rule somewhere that says "don't use former drug cheats as coaches"? It's questionable but that's all and it certainly isn't something only the USATF does.
            Actually, USATF does have a policy regarding this, or at least they once did.
            http://trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/ ... arId=12618

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
              Tuariki, does it bother you that there are convicted felons walking around after having served their time, some for murder, which I think is vastly worse than taking an ADHD medication and doing something as egregious as competing in an amateur event? I am 'sorry' you do not like the rules that the world lives by (and the WADA rules are not US rules).

You have been banned before and your postings have been getting more and more nasty and destructive to the camaraderie of the board. Take it to LetsRun where they do not seem to care as much about such things.
              Hi 26mi235. I do not have a problem with the druggies walking around. And to a point, I do accept your view that once you have done your time for the crime then you should be free to get on with your life.

As for convicted felons walking around after having served their time, some for murder, does that bother me? I guess it depends on the circumstances. Here in NZ we are very lenient on murder. Most get sentenced to life and most are back on the street within 10 to 15 years. That bothers me. I prefer the US system of locking them away for ever. I don't support the death penalty because, as I think you have correctly noted, it is irreversible and people are sometimes convicted wrongly. A prison sentence can be commuted. A death sentence carried out - somewhat more difficult to do.

Perhaps a better analogy is a convicted pedophile. At the outset, however, let me be clear, I am in no way trying to equate or imply that a PED taker is akin to a pedophile. In this analogy I am just trying to make a point. I accept a convicted pedophile having done his time should be free to walk around - but IMO with very specific restrictions. He (or she if that is the case) should never be allowed to be alone with young children; should never be allowed to go within 500m of any school; should have their names published on a public register of child sex offenders.

Justin Gatlin and Tyson Gay may well be very nice guys. Their interviews certainly seem to indicate that. Having never met them I have no idea. However, I believe that while they should be free to walk around that freedom should not include competing in TNF.

Either that or let's not bother with drug rules and sanctions. Let's just have an open season. The good ones like Val Adams will disappear but never mind the likes of Mr Ostapchuk will always be there to fill the void.

Comment

Turaki: you are absolutely correct and on solid ground. No place in sports for cheaters.
                "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Sweeping stupid generalizations worthy of Fox News.

F U dude.

Comment

There should be no place in the sport for former cheats. These are people who contributed to killing the sport. And no its not the sanctimony that is killing the sport. Its the cheats. USA should take the lead by giving 4 year bans to 1st time offenders and lifetime bans for 2nd time offenders. Known cheats should never be let anywhere near the coaching ranks. They have already done enough damage to the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
                      There should be no place in the sport for former cheats. These are people who contributed to killing the sport. And no its not the sanctimony that is killing the sport. Its the cheats. USA should take the lead by giving 4 year bans to 1st time offenders and lifetime bans for 2nd time offenders. Known cheats should never be let anywhere near the coaching ranks. They have already done enough damage to the sport.
                      I think this is missing the same thing the Tuariki. The USADA makes the first call on the ban, but WADA and the athlete are free to appeal. If USADA gave 4-year and then Lifetime bans to athletes automatically they would likely be overturned by CAS. And, if the USADA gave them automatically I would not be surprised if the athletes could have a cause of action against USADA and make them pay for that proceeding.

And, I would be stunned if WADA ever goes the 4/Lifetime route because they want to bring n the 'big' sports in and that would completely ruin any possibility of doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by JumboElliott
                        The sanctimony about drugs is exactly why the sport is dying. Note that it was most popular when the authorities took a totally laissez-faire approach to the issue?
                        Exactly. I have long believed that track should adopt the same approach to doping as the NFL.
                        Further, test as much as you want before the event, but the results are final within 2 hrs of completion. Disqualification years later is insane.

Comment

Desai Williams is coaching for Canada, so we can stop with the sanctimonious BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki
                            One rule for the world; another for the USA.

Mr Doper Dennis and Mrs Doper Damu Mitchell selected by the Dopes of USATF as the USA relay coaches. "The coaching staff for the IAAF World Relays was put together as the group of the best eligible coaches available to coach for this event." so opines the USATF publicity Dope, Jill Greer, Chief Public Affairs Officer.

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman". When faced with historical precedents like that I guess the USATF feels they are on pretty solid ground.

No wonder the Jamaican posters on this Board get pissed off

USATF appointments yet to be released as still subject to temporary embargo
                            C J Hunter: - Weights coach
                            La Shawn Merritt: - Special nighttime after event performance coach
                            Marion Joness: - Pharmacy Liaison Officer
                            Victor Conte: - Honorary Chemist
                            Trevor Graham: - Patron for the provision of services to USATF by a foreigner
                            Lance Armstrong:- Technical officer for USATF Truth and Reconciliation Committee
                            Tyson Gay: - USATF 2014 Team Captain
                            I can understand your point regarding the choice for national coaches, but I think you're off base with the rest. If we only knew the truth about which athletes have doped and which haven't, I don't think very many of us would be warranted in pointing fingers at other nations.

And as we all know it can be much easier to get away with off season doping in some nations than in others. That doesn't mean that illegal PED use is less prevalent in those nations just because less athletes are caught, or that the nations with a greater number of sanctioned athletes necessarily deserve snarky criticism and ridicule while nations where it may be easier for athletes to dope in the off season don't.

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
                              I agree. I know that there posters who are little better than oversensitive Flag Wavers and cannot understand any criticism of the USA, its track federation and USADA. Trying to point the screaming obvious that the high profile cheats in the USA and other countries have done no good to the esteem of track and field is largely not a real concern for such people.
                              It is largely a waste of time to discuss this with some sad posters on this Forum on the subject of cheating. Such posters, whilst pretending to disapprove of disallowed drugs, stimulants etc used in Track and Field in general principle, do not take them seriously; that's why the USA accepts with a shoulder shrug their pro ball sports being riddled with drug takers, defended by reams of lawyers and supported by politicos and big money.

I see nothing stated by some sad posters to dissuade me from the view that on this Forum there are those that care only about winning, at all costs... never mind the rules.

No doubt that if a similar Forum existed in Russia or Turkey I would probably be writing the same post.

Comment

Working...
                              X