• beebee
    • Aug 2010
    • Chicago, Illinois

Re: USA wins the Golden Baton...Of course

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Originally posted by beebee
    I know that many folks here hate Carl Lewis, but 4x100's with him as the anchor were extraordinary.
    There was absolutely no 4x100 parity in Carl Lewis' era. Not only had the Jamaicans not gotten their act together, but neither had the Trinidadians, not to mention the Canadians of the mid-90's. The fact that France held the world record for a period during Lewis's era tells you all you need to know about how weak the event was then. In those days, there was about as much parity in the 4x100 as there was in Olympic basketball when the Dream Team went to Barcelona.
    Yeah, anybody could have done it :lol:

That 92 Olympic 4x100 WR ANCHORED by Lewis stood for 15 years.

I chose to believe that Lewis anchored dominant teams...for a decade.
    Of course they were dominant but that's because there was no parity. Look at the 2012 Olympic final, when the American and Jamaican anchors received the baton at the same time, while both teams were on WR pace. Lewis never had to anchor a 4x100 that was as competitive as that.
    My point was that having a dominant anchor like Lewis(and Bolt) is a factor of confidence in the 4x100...the other guys are more relaxed and less likely to make mistakes. You can attempt to revise history insinuating that Lewis' teams beat bums all you wish....until Bolt eclipse Lewis his record as an anchor is the best ever.

Comment

• Gabriella
      • Sep 2009

Lewis never had to anchor a 4x100 that was as competitive as that.
      Well, yes...and no. Roma 87; Lewis took the baton 2m+ down on Krylov of the USSR and had to run a blinding leg to overtake him. Which he did, winning by 1.5m. Krylova had narrowly missed a medal in the 200m so was no mediocre athlete. Many lesser mortals would have lost form trying to chase. Lewis ran 8.86 on that leg, against Krylov's 9.01 (USA 37.90 v USSR 38.02)

The USSR ran the USA close at the 1986 GWG too, with another great leg from Lewis beating Bryzgin.

In 1988 Linford Christie found himself in a similar position, 2m down on Savin of the USSR, but Christie couldnt do what Lewis did the year before. He did run a great 8.95 though, with GBR finishing in 38.28 behind USSR 38.19.

Comment

• gibson
        • Jan 2011

usa track is doing great.

#3 in the distances
        #2 in the sprints
        then you have ashton eaton.

and could quite possible move up 1 place in each area if jamaica has a "mishap"which is a good bet based on the big names that continually go down, if america keeps or their trajectory of improvement in the distances.

and you have the most entertaining event in track, the sprint relays, where absolute disaster is a SOLID 50% probability.

then you have the internet and youtube and forums, et all.

it's never been more fun.

Comment

• jazzcyclist
          • Oct 2005

My point was that having a dominant anchor like Lewis(and Bolt) is a factor of confidence in the 4x100...the other guys are more relaxed and less likely to make mistakes. You can attempt to revise history insinuating that Lewis' teams beat bums all you wish....until Bolt eclipse Lewis his record as an anchor is the best ever.
          Lewis' teams did beat bums, just look the times of the runner-ups in the years they won. I remember back in 2008, one of the members of the original Dream Team pooh-poohed that year's Olympic basketball team because they weren't as dominant as the 92 team was. Of course that is true, but the Dream Team never faced the level of competition that the recent teams had to face. I guarantee you that the Dream Team wouldn't have made Spain look like the Washington Generals if they had been as good back then as they are today, and I guarantee you that Lewis' teams would have some losses on their resume if they had had to face today's Jamaican team. Remember, up until 2007, Jamaica had never run sub-38, but today, they stand as history's only sub-37 team.

Comment

• beebee
            • Aug 2010
            • Chicago, Illinois

Lewis' teams did beat bums, just look the times of the runner-ups in the years they won. I remember back in 2008, one of the members of the original Dream Team pooh-poohed that year's Olympic basketball team because they weren't as dominant as the 92 team was. Of course that is true, but the Dream Team never faced the level of competition that the recent teams had to face. I guarantee you that the Dream Team wouldn't have made Spain look like the Washington Generals if they had been as good back then as they are today, and I guarantee you that Lewis' teams would have some losses on their resume if they had had to face today's Jamaican team. Remember, up until 2007, Jamaica had never run sub-38, but today, they stand as history's only sub-37 team.

Total bullshit.

One day some clown will make this same wacky analogy about Bolt.

Comment

• tm71
              • Oct 2005

[quote="beebee
              Agreed.

I know that many folks here hate Carl Lewis, but 4x100's with him as the anchor were extraordinary.[/quote]

absolutely. king carl might have been somewhat arrogant and obnoxious but he was one of the best athletes of all time. as far as anchors in the 4 x 1 only bolt and perhaps bob hayes were better.

Comment

Working...
              X