This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usain Bolt and the 400m

The first time the big guy shows up on the radar it's in the 400m. He ran the event early on in his sprint career and has always ran at least one or a 4x4 since. He wasn't a teenage 100/200 sprinter. He came to the 100m after years of 200m sprinting and the occasional 400/4x4.

I played football as a high school kid, my body was built up because of that training at a young age, especialy my neck. Well track is no different, to think that Bolt (or any kid) isn''t going to benefit from 400m training early on isn't realistic.

Dennis Mitchell was a HS 400m star long before he became a 100m sprinter he talked about (T&FN) 400m training being the secret to his success.

Lorenzo Daneil who once held the NCAA 200m record talked (T&FN) about how once he started running the 4x4 and training as a 400m guy it helped all his sprinting.

Tyson Gay talked about wanting to be like Michael Johnson, so what did he do, yep...started running the 400m. Why?

Then there's this..

He (Bolt) said he has already started his Olympic preparations at "high intensity," fully fit after ending the season with a slight Achilles tendon tweak. Last year, back problems saw him lose part of the season and forced him to lower expectations.

He has always been a credible 400 runner and said Saturday he wanted to contribute to the Jamaican team seeking to end a 60-year drought in the event.

Even though his personal best stands at 45.28 seconds, his manager Ricky Simms said he had run a 43 split with a running start in a relay in a minor Jamaica meet two years ago. The individual world record stands at 43.18.

When asked if he wanted to run in the 4x400, Bolt said: "I've expressed that to my coach. If I am fit and I think I can do it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When have we ever heard talk of a 100m World Record holder going for the 400m WR or running on a national 4x4 team other than Usian Bolt?

Could he break the 400m WR now, no he can't. If he'd wanted to a few years ago ...without question. Now when I do my....400m ability a must in 200m WR running...there is a good reason for that and yes Bolt has that 400m ability.

Re: Usain Bolt and the 400m

Blake's 19.26 run had a 0.2+ reaction time. With bolts reaction time from Berlin, he would have gone 19.17 and broken the WR. Blake's 400 is 46+.

Comment

Originally posted by stylee10
      Blake's 19.26 run had a 0.2+ reaction time. With bolts reaction time from Berlin, he would have gone 19.17 and broken the WR. Blake's 400 is 46+.
      Blake also gained on Bryshon Nellum on a 4x4 HS anchor. Give the guy a little serious 400m running and we have a 45low cat.

But....notice how Blake isn't like a Tim Harden, Tim Montgomery, Hasely Crawford, Valery Borzov, Bruny Surin, Andre Cason, Lerone Clarke, Houston McTear etc etc and that he was a HS 4x4 and has ran the 400m. Not all sprinters do that and those who don't usually don't do much in a 200m, with nobody without 400m/4x4 credentials running a 200m WR in a long time.

So we just ignore Mitchell, Daneil, and Gay...? Bud Winter had some interesting things to say about over distance training

Comment

Originally posted by stylee10
        Blake will never have great reaction in 200m.
        And in my opinion in that race he had some rare conditions, in some theory talk about cross wind that could to help so much.

Until this moment, Blake showed that he can to get 19.44 in normal conditions and with rounds, Bolt 19.19, it is the reality :wink:

Comment

I could have sworn that this horse had beaten to death for good when gh locked the "will 19.32 ever be broken??" thread but I guess I was wrong.

Comment

Yeah. Done with this.

Comment

ue at all.
              Originally posted by jazzcyclist
              I could have sworn that this horse had beaten to death for good when gh locked the "will 19.32 ever be broken??" thread but I guess I was wrong.
              I just find it strange that the facts don't seem to matter here. Yes no sprinter who couldn't run a sub 45.00 4x4 split has held the 200m WR in over 50 years. This isn't a debate this is a fact. We aren't seeing 100m guys who "also" run the 200m breaking that record. Bolt is a sub 45.00 relayer and a sprinter who has talked about running on his National 4x4 team, a guy others have....could he have broken the 400m WR?....so he's not just a 100m guy who runs the 200m....also.

Why is it so hard to believe that it takes more than 100m speed to break a 200WR, hell, who can run a 100m all out, yep. nobody. It only makes sense that a guy who can knock out a solid 400 (with sprint speed....also) would have an advantage over "just" a 100m cat running a 200m. And, history has proven that.....fact.

Like I've mentioned before sprinters come in many guises. We have that cat like a Houston McTear who excells in the 60-100. A Mo Greene 60-200. We ever see Bolt in a 60, ever see McTear in a 400m? Then we have those guys who can run the 100 to the 400. Like Carr, Smith, Mennea, Johnson and Bolt. For over 50 years these are the guys who have broken the 200m WR. How do we dispute, debate, argue something that is true?

I guarantee when the next 200m world record holder comes along he won't be like a Donovan Bailey or a Bernard Williams, he'll be a guy like Xavier Carter (physically ) who can do it all.

There is a reason the greatest 100m sprinter ever (up to that time) was an inferior 200m to a guy he'd crush in a 100m, Henry Carr (Olympic and ASU WR 4x4 anchorman).

There is a reason histories first(legal) sub10.00 sprinter took a beating in the 200m by a guy he'd whip up on in a 100, Tommie Smith (World Record 400m)

Now add....(Wikipedia)

In 1996, Griffith Joyner appeared on the Charlie Rose show, and she announced her comeback to competitive athletics, only this time to concentrate on the 400-meter run.[10] Her reason was that she had already set world marks in both the 100 m and 200 m events, with the 400 m world record being her goal. Griffith Joyner trained steadily leading up to the U.S. Olympic trials in June. However, tendonitis in her right leg ended her hopes of becoming a triple-world-record holder. Al Joyner was to also attempt a comeback, but he too was unable to compete due to an injured quadriceps muscle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So we have both 200m WR holders talking about the 400m/4x4. Flo Jo an Olympic 4x4 silver medalist.

How can anyone ignore all that? Seems pretty obvious to me what's going on there.

Comment

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ . . . . . . . .

Comment

jazz ..... ditto. endless blathering

Comment

T&F News once projected Carl Lewis as being capable of running the 400 in 44 flat and high jumping 7'7".

Until Bolt does, he hasn't.

Comment

Dixon - Your facts are amazing! Thanks for enlightening us! No use arguing – you’ve hit the nail on the head, as always!

Let's see if that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixon
                        00. A Mo Greene 60-200. We ever see Bolt in a 60, ever see McTear in a 400m? . How do we dispute, debate, argue something that is true?
                        When has Bolt, as a senior athlete, run a 400m in a competitive race during the main season? When has he run it in any sort of championship or Diamond League setting?

Why run the 60m when he would have to fly to a meet to make a few grand when he makes more than enough money off of running 100m races all summer?

Why do you insist that it is the 4 that is leading things rather than simply somebody that has great speed& fitness that can then continue another half a lap? You seem to dismiss this without any real reason. He has run the fastest 60 ever recorded, yet there are teenagers that have run substantially faster 4s and will continue to. What does that say about your argument?

Comment

I guarantee when the next 200m world record holder...
                          DB never focused or took training for the 200m seriously. He picked up the sport well into his 20s and did not have a history of it. On top of that, what incentive did he have in spending time to focus on the 200m? What at all? He was the fastest 100m man in the world and the world record holder. He wasn't going to be making any money running the half lap or the full lap.
                          There is a reason the greatest 100m sprinter ever (up to that time) was an inferior 200m to a
                          random crap about flojo irrelevant to anything
                          So we have both 200m WR holders talking about the 400m/4x4. Flo Jo an Olympic 4x4 silver medalist.
                          Women historically are great triplers vs men because speed endurance is a larger component of their races vs men. I don't see how this particularly helps your argument. Marion Jones and FloJo both went <=6.90 in the 60m en route to 100m. Why are you valuing their 400m times, that are slower on a relative basis then their 60m times, so much as it relates to the 200m? By all of this information, it seems that being the fastest ever to 60m is much more important in setting a WR and fast time in the 200m than a 400m time is. After all, neither of the two fastest men ever have any competitive 400m times and same along with the women in terms of fastest ever, yet all are at the very top in terms of fastest 60s ever.

How can anyone ignore all that? Seems pretty obvious to me what's going on there.
                          Not particularly. You seem to miss 3 main points:

1. The 100m historically pays the most & is the showcase event. People w/ a propensity for it have a greater incentive to focus their training on performing well in it vs doubling. This can seem exaggerated when 100m folks then only run the 200m when they are not prepared to run the 100m at their best or do not get enough races in to maximize 200 perf.

2. Being fast and fit in the 200m allows you to run a respectable 400m. Your body doesn't turn off after 20s.

3. The very best 200 runners have been the very best 60m sprinters of all time, in terms of 60m splits. The same cannot be said for their 400m performances. Bolt & Blake. FloJo & Marion.

Comment

The thing is you have to have a lot of heart to be an elite 400 runner and Bolt freely admits that he lacks the heart.

Comment

You have to buy into running the 400.

Comment

Working...
                              X