Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rupp AR 10k at Pre

Originally posted by Dave
    it has been a while since Farah ran his 26:46.57 race(2011). Is he still in that condition?

It isn't clear that there is anyone out there at the moment who could push Rupp a lot faster.I think for someone to take on the WR, we would need to see a lot more frequent 10000 races. Are there other Diamond League 10k races this year?
    I think that he was in better shape in both 2012 and 2013 than he was in 2011 where he was run down in the WCs. He was strong in both doubles. In the right race and training cycles (might not happen anymore with his changes) Farah was able to run 26:3x (as Rupp is now likely capable of in the right setting).

Comment

OK, stat folks, I have a question for you...
      Galen Rupp leads the comprehensive world lists at 5k and 10k. When was the last time an American man could say that in June or later?

Comment

I don't think anyone mentioned this, but Rupp became the 7th runner to have two sub-26:50. The other six are Bekele, Geb, Boniface T. Kiprop, Tergat, Paul Koech and Sihine. Bekele and Geb are the only two people to have more than two sub-26:50.

He also beat the top two Kenyans from the last year's WC (Tanui 3rd and Karoki 6th). So the competition was not too shabby.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965
          Bekele and Geb are the only two people to have more than two sub-26:50.
          I wouldn't have guessed only two, but with 10Ks run infrequently these days, and more $$$ on the roads, maybe that shouldn't come as a surprise.

Comment

Just looking at some career stats (from Tilastopaja -- I am assuming for the moment that these lists are pretty much complete, if not entirely so) for Gebrselassie, K. Bekele, & Rupp. (To be clear -- not arguing that Rupp is on the same level as these other two -- just browsing and comparing, for purposes of amusement and perhaps edification.)

Geb ran (assuming perhaps no more track 10km races to come) 26 track 10k in his career, from 1992 (WJC) through 2008 (Hengelo). 24 of those 26 @ sub-28, including 9 @ sub-27. The only two at 28:00 or slower were his WJC victory and his qualifying heat at the Atlanta OG. That last one, at 28:14 was his slowest.

Bekele has run 18 track 10k (17 finishes), from 2003 (Hengelo) through last year (Belgium, iirc). All 17 finishes at sub-28, including 9 @ sub-27. His slowest was the 27:46 last year.

I thought when I started browsing this that I would be noting how few track 10k Rupp has run, but in fact so far in his career he has run 29, from 2004 (Brasschaat) through this past weekend. Of course this long list makes sense when I peruse it, because it includes PAC-10, NCAA, USATF, among all the others. He has 12 @ sub-28, including his @ two sub-27. His slowest was his 30:42 at PAC-10 in 2006.

One of the things that impresses me about Rupp's career list of 10k races is how frequently he is "in the mix" for top finishes. Of course these races range across a wide set of contexts, but they show him to be a very consistent competitor for a very long time in athletics terms (when I look at all this racing in one list, I have to remind myself that he's just 28yo). These are all things I know about Rupp, but looking across 10 years of stats shows it to me again, and gives me another perspective of appreciation of his body of work (so far).

Comment

Nice work, Master Po. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                Nice work, Master Po. Thanks.
                Amen!

Comment

Had the lapped Demelash given the runners the inside at 7800m, Rupp would've run in the 26:30s!

58 last lap, son!

Comment

Originally posted by einnod23
                    Had the lapped Demelash given the runners the inside at 7800m, Rupp would've run in the 26:30s!

58 last lap, son!
                    Lapping a guy costs 4 seconds, that is (vastly overly) generous.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                      Originally posted by TN1965
                      Bekele and Geb are the only two people to have more than two sub-26:50.
                      I wouldn't have guessed only two, but with 10Ks run infrequently these days, and more $$$ on the roads, maybe that shouldn't come as a surprise.
                      You'd think that's the reason.

But 16 runners have gone under 12:50 for 5000m. Only three of them (Bekele, Geb and Komen) have run that fast more than once. And 5000m races are run far more often.

Comment

Working...
                      X